Zipping a file
Thread poster: Finn Mayhall
Finn Mayhall
Finn Mayhall  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:38
French to English
Jun 2, 2006

Hello all,
I'm trying to zip a .doc file. I've downloaded winzip onto the desktop but when I try to open it it says, "unable to open application or extension dictionary because it is not pilotable" (translated from French).
This means nothing to me!! Any help greatly appreciated.

Diana Cossato (X)
Diana Cossato (X)  Identity Verified
Belgium
Hungarian to Italian
+ ...
no need for winzip! Jun 2, 2006

Hi Finn!

I suppose you are under system 10?

If so, all you need to do is go to your first menu in the Finder (Archivio in Italian, Archive in English I suspect and probably something similar in French) and choose "Create archive of xyz", xyz being your selected file or folder.

That's it! The zipped file/folder will appear next to your unzipped one, ready for you to move or email.

If you're under system 9, that's a different story (I hardly have
... See more
Hi Finn!

I suppose you are under system 10?

If so, all you need to do is go to your first menu in the Finder (Archivio in Italian, Archive in English I suspect and probably something similar in French) and choose "Create archive of xyz", xyz being your selected file or folder.

That's it! The zipped file/folder will appear next to your unzipped one, ready for you to move or email.

If you're under system 9, that's a different story (I hardly have any memories of that)

Let me know how it works for you!

Diana
Collapse

Monica Mangh (X)
Monica Mangh (X)  Identity Verified
English to Italian
+ ...
you can use ZipIt Jun 2, 2006

Hi Finn,
i'm a mac user and i can't help you to use winzip, but for zip a file i find two applications for mac:

-StuffIt expander (maybe is in already installed in your Mac OS)
-ZipIt

you can also search on www.versiontracker.com if there are some others applications of this kind.

I hope it would be helpful for you
Monica

tlmurray (X)
tlmurray (X)
Local time: 12:38
English
WinZip Jun 2, 2006

Finn Mayhall wrote:

Hello all,
I'm trying to zip a .doc file. I've downloaded winzip onto the desktop but when I try to open it it says, "unable to open application or extension dictionary because it is not pilotable" (translated from French).
This means nothing to me!! Any help greatly appreciated.

WinZip is a Windows application.

Cetacea
Cetacea  Identity Verified
Switzerland
English to German
+ ...
Winzip for the Mac? Jun 2, 2006

Are you sure winzip is availabe for the Macintosh at all?? I've always thought that was a PC application only.

Anyway, you can use the "Archives" function under OS X, like Diana says, or Stuffit under OS 9.

If you want a dedicated application, try www.maczipit.com for a shareware.

Finn Mayhall
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks everyone Jun 2, 2006

Diana,
When you say the first menu in finder, do you mean on the tool bar or in DD40?
I can't find anything like archive. Thanks.

Diana Cossato (X)
Diana Cossato (X)  Identity Verified
Belgium
Hungarian to Italian
+ ...
DD40? Jun 2, 2006

Hello there,

I have no idea what DD40 is...

What I called archive might actually be called file in English, it's at any rate the first proper menu on the left in finder.

You have the apple menu first, followed by the finder menu, followed by a third one, which is what you are looking for. "Create Archive" is in the third block, the first being new folder etc. and the second being "info"; the third one has stuff like duplicate, create alias etc: the last opt
... See more
Hello there,

I have no idea what DD40 is...

What I called archive might actually be called file in English, it's at any rate the first proper menu on the left in finder.

You have the apple menu first, followed by the finder menu, followed by a third one, which is what you are looking for. "Create Archive" is in the third block, the first being new folder etc. and the second being "info"; the third one has stuff like duplicate, create alias etc: the last option in this block must be called something along the lines of "create archive" and that's the function which will zip your file/folder.

Hope that was a bit clearer!

Diana
Collapse

Finn Mayhall
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Found it! Jun 2, 2006

Diana,
yes that was clearer thanks.
I've found "create an archive", but it's in grey, not in black, so I can't access it

Finn Mayhall
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Sorted it, thanks! Jun 2, 2006

Done it..... finally. Easy when you know how!!
Thanks everyone.

tlmurray (X)
tlmurray (X)
Local time: 12:38
English
Just to make sure we're clear... Jun 3, 2006

WinZip is a specific application for Windows that uses (among others) the zip compression algorithm. The algorithm was donated to the public domain by its inventor and is incorporated into many tools and even into some operating systems. The WinZip trade name has traded hands many times, and now Corel owns it.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Zipping a file

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »