Thread poster: Nickolas Woods (X)
Nickolas Woods (X)
Nickolas Woods (X)
France
Local time: 23:17
French to English
+ ...
Aug 29, 2006

hi general question in that i have heard that cat tools are not available for macs, or is that just trados? any help here greatly appreciated. ps how do you deal with missing out on an easy translation job because you were on the phone?!?!?

gianfranco
gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 18:17
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
I've moved your thread Aug 29, 2006

Nickolas Woods wrote:

hi general question in that i have heard that cat tools are not available for macs, or is that just trados? any help here greatly appreciated.

Dear Nickolas,
I've moved your topic here, where all Mac aficionados tend to hang about...

ps how do you deal with missing out on an easy translation job because you were on the phone?!?!?

Perhaps it would be better to post it separately, as not to mix pears with apples

bye
Gianfranco

[Edited at 2006-08-29 17:21]

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Wordfast and OmegaT Aug 29, 2006

Nickolas Woods wrote:
I have heard that CAT tools are not available for Macs...

Wordfast works on Mac (requires Microsoft Word). OmegaT works on Mac (requires Java 1.5). Any web-based CAT tool will work if you have the right browser installed.

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
cat tools and macs Aug 29, 2006

CAT tools which will also run on the Mac:

Wordfast: www.wordfast.net/champollion.net
OmegaT: www.omegat.org
Heartsome: www.heartsome.net

All of these are used by at least some Mac users. Wordfast
... See more
CAT tools which will also run on the Mac:

All of these are used by at least some Mac users. Wordfast is probably the most popular, not only in absolute terms but also in terms of Mac users (with the possible exception of the virtual machine solution).

There is also Appleglot, which is specifically for the Mac platform and which I therefore know very little about. From what I've heard it's intended more for localization than for document translation.

There are also other, less well known CAT tools which may run on the Mac but which to my knowledge no one has tested: Transolution and OLT spring to mind.

Some users use a virtual machine to run Windows on the Mac, and then run Trados on top of it.

Marc
Collapse

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
German to Spanish
Mac or PC Aug 29, 2006

Once upon a time it was a problem.

Now with Parallels is no problem at all:

http://www.parallels.com/

and a good CAT for Macs
Heartsome:
http://www.heartsome.net/

Regards
...as Marc said...
See more
Once upon a time it was a problem.

Now with Parallels is no problem at all:

http://www.parallels.com/

and a good CAT for Macs
Heartsome:
http://www.heartsome.net/

Regards
...as Marc said

[Bearbeitet am 2006-08-29 18:38]
Collapse

Nickolas Woods (X)
Nickolas Woods (X)
France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Many thanks Aug 29, 2006

That's great starting information, everyone. I am not totally sure about CAT tools in the first place, thinking that nothing is better than the real mind, but if it makes some of the initial mental process easier, especially in terms of technical or legal terminology, than that could save a good deal of time. Best wishes, all! Nick Woods

Wolfgang Schoene
Wolfgang Schoene  Identity Verified
France
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
CAT on the Mac Sep 12, 2006

I confirm what Fernando said: Parallels+Win XP on Mac OS X. I have Trados+Teamworks and Wordfast installed. DVX is soon to come as soon as I can get a USB dongle. Only real problem I have is the somewhat erratic behaviour of the rodent and the fact that my Wacom tablet won't work on XP under Parallels.

Wolfgang

Andrea Pinto (X)
Andrea Pinto (X)  Identity Verified

any recommendations for a Mac OS X user? Sep 23, 2006

Hi everybody,

First of all....I am a huge Mac fan. I started working with my mac os x almost two years ago and it's the best! No more PC for me!

My problem is (and I think more Mac users share the same problem!!) that when I see an interesting job, usually (experience with) TRADOS is required.
Yet TRADOS doesn't run on a Mac! (as far as I know?!) Meaning that mac users miss out on some fine jobs. What a bummer!

Marc, you wrote that the CAT tools men
... See more
Hi everybody,

First of all....I am a huge Mac fan. I started working with my mac os x almost two years ago and it's the best! No more PC for me!

My problem is (and I think more Mac users share the same problem!!) that when I see an interesting job, usually (experience with) TRADOS is required.
Yet TRADOS doesn't run on a Mac! (as far as I know?!) Meaning that mac users miss out on some fine jobs. What a bummer!

Marc, you wrote that the CAT tools mentioned below actually DO run on the Mac.

Can you Marc.....or anybody else tell me which one of these CAT tools is best? Or are they all quite similar? I don't know which one to install on my Mac.

Thanks!

Regards

Andrea Pinto
Collapse

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
cat tools and macs Sep 26, 2006

A. Pinto wrote:

Can you Marc.....or anybody else tell me which one of these CAT tools is best? Or are they all quite similar? I don't know which one to install on my Mac.

Wordfast and Heartsome are both commercial, but are also both exceptionally good value for money. OmegaT is free (really, no strings attached).

Wordfast is a plug-in for MS Word, so you work within the Word interface which is probably familiar to you. Heartsome and OmegaT both run on Java (which is why they will also run on Macs). Wordfast will feel very familiar to Trados users who are used to working with the Word interface; Heartsome and OmegaT are likely to feel unfamiliar at first, though they have certain superficial similarities to each other.

Wordfast and OmegaT are, at least initially, probably easier to use than Heartsome, though this is very subjective. Heartsome and Wordfast have more features.

A demonstration version of Wordfast is available; you can request a trial version of Heartsome; or simply download OmegaT and away you go.

I am biased, of course.

Marc

Andrea Pinto (X)
Andrea Pinto (X)  Identity Verified

Better late than never... Sep 29, 2006

Thank you so very much Marc for your info and recommendations .
I've decided to go for Wordfast!

Thanks again, you've been a great help.

Regards Andrea

Stefan Budrich
Stefan Budrich  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2005)
English to German
DVX on Mac OS X with parallels Apr 20, 2007

Wolfgang Schoene wrote:

I confirm what Fernando said: Parallels+Win XP on Mac OS X. I have Trados+Teamworks and Wordfast installed. DVX is soon to come as soon as I can get a USB dongle...
Wolfgang

Hi Wolfgang,
found your comment while searching for some hints relating to the use of DVX on Intel Macs with Parallels. The obvious question - does it work? Any specific problems?
Thanks,
Stefan Budrich

Nickolas Woods (X)
Nickolas Woods (X)
France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Speed and benefits Apr 20, 2007

One question I am interested in is the following: once I am familiar with using a tool, Wordfast or whatever, what the benefits? Are we talking speed? If so, how much?
Very often, especially in German to English texts, many words have different meaning in different contexts, or you have to do a lot of interpreting to realise what is actually being meant by the strange use of a particular word, and that requires lots of research. I can't see how a CAT tool can handle any of this "organic"
... See more
One question I am interested in is the following: once I am familiar with using a tool, Wordfast or whatever, what the benefits? Are we talking speed? If so, how much?
Very often, especially in German to English texts, many words have different meaning in different contexts, or you have to do a lot of interpreting to realise what is actually being meant by the strange use of a particular word, and that requires lots of research. I can't see how a CAT tool can handle any of this "organic" work that needs to be carried out to produce a decent tranny. I would like to hear some experiences of how a CAT tool has changed the lives of some translators. It may help convince me to buy one... Thanks!
Collapse

Emma Gledhill
Emma Gledhill
Switzerland
German to English
+ ...
Hope this helps somewhat Apr 26, 2007

Nickolas Woods wrote:

For example, if you have a repetitive text it saves you having to keep scrolling back and forward through tens or hundreds of pages

I can't see how a CAT tool can handle any of this "organic" work that needs to be carried out to produce a decent tranny.

It doesn't stop you having to do this research the first time. It does stop you having to do it the second, third, fifith etc. time when you've forgotten the results of the first search (e.g. on a large job lasting weeks)

I think you have a misconception of the amount of automation with CAT tools. They do not take away the "artistry" if you like, but they do act as a superb reference. You do the work, the CAT tool stores it for future use, effectively.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

cat tools and macs

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »