Diana Cossato (X)
Diana Cossato (X)  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 12:22
Hungarian to Italian
+ ...
Sep 26, 2006

Hello all,

I'm sure at least some of you have heard about the "third way" to run windows on a mac": Crossover (http://www.codeweavers.com/). It's only been out for a couple of weeks now, and it's still in the beta testing phase (the public beta can be dowloaded by those who wish), but looks very promising.

I was wondering if any of you have had experience with it and would like to
... See more
Hello all,

I'm sure at least some of you have heard about the "third way" to run windows on a mac": Crossover (http://www.codeweavers.com/). It's only been out for a couple of weeks now, and it's still in the beta testing phase (the public beta can be dowloaded by those who wish), but looks very promising.

I was wondering if any of you have had experience with it and would like to share yuor thoughts. Apart from the classical "does Trados work", I'm interested in Crossover's ability to run windows Cds with dictionaries or any other reference material, THE reason I have to surrender to having windows too.

I'd appreciate any comments,

Diana
Collapse

colemh
colemh
Local time: 05:22
English to Spanish
+ ...
Darwin - Wine HQ Sep 26, 2006

http://darwine.opendarwin.org/
http://winehq.com/

other alternatives you can also explore.

Regards,

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
Crossover: any experiences? Sep 27, 2006

Diana Cossato wrote:

I'd appreciate any comments

My hunch - it is just a hunch, but not entirely unfounded - is that the Mac Crossover implementation will share much of its code with the Linux version. I would then expect the range of supported applications to be much the same. I have posted some information on the applications supported by Crossover (on Linux) here:

www.linuxfortranslators.org/linux/windows.html

(If anyone has any more information, I'd be happy to receive it.)

Marc

Diana Cossato (X)
Diana Cossato (X)  Identity Verified
Belgium
Hungarian to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Each application mustbe supported separately? Sep 27, 2006

Hi Marc and thanks for your quick reply.

I took a look at the link you've posted: does it mean each and every dictionary needs to be supported separately? As if they were separate pieces of software? (perhaps they are in fact, I apologize for my ignorance).
In that case, as much as I appreciate the WINE project I would tend to go with Parallels which should allow me to run any windows application, and therefore any dictionary or reference material on CD I may get my hands on.<
... See more
Hi Marc and thanks for your quick reply.

I took a look at the link you've posted: does it mean each and every dictionary needs to be supported separately? As if they were separate pieces of software? (perhaps they are in fact, I apologize for my ignorance).
In that case, as much as I appreciate the WINE project I would tend to go with Parallels which should allow me to run any windows application, and therefore any dictionary or reference material on CD I may get my hands on.
For the time being I can't think of any other program I would need under windows (I stick to the Mac for the the office package), except of course for Trados should I ever decide I need it.

Thank you once again for your assistance.

Diana
Collapse

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
Crossover: any experiences? Sep 27, 2006

Diana Cossato wrote:

I took a look at the link you've posted: does it mean each and every dictionary needs to be supported separately? As if they were separate pieces of software?

In principle, yes. Crossover (like WINE) is in effect a "pretend-Windows". But not all of Windows' functions are supported by Crossover. If the program in question uses unsupported features, it may not install, or it may install but not work.

The main difference between Crossover (commercial) and WINE (free) is that, besides the nice user-friendly GUI, Crossover includes "tweaks" for some of the most popular applications (notably Microsoft Office, which is particularly interesting for us Linux users but not for Mac users, since the latter have a native version). A few tens of applications have been supported in this way so far. If your application hasn't been tweaked, the chances are that it won't work; very, very few unsupported applications do, though there are exceptions.

Some hackers tweak WINE themselves in order to get their favourite Windows applications to run, but this isn't for the faint of heart.

Codeweavers recently announced their intention to support *all* Windows applications by a certain deadline, but that strikes me as being somewhat optimistic.

One tip: on the Linux version, Codeweavers introduced a concept at one stage called "bottles". One problem is that if you install a troublesome application (and if you are testing, you won't know until you've tried it), it may corrupt your entire Crossover installation, forcing you to re-install it *and* all the Windows applications you installed on it. "Bottles" gets around this by enabling you to install a separate copy of Crossover for each application. If you have this facility on the Mac version, I recommend making use of it. (You can still use programs installed on separate "bottles" at the same time.)

Marc

Philippe Locquet
Philippe Locquet  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 11:22
English to French
+ ...
Crossover in 2024 Jan 18

I've been tinkering with Crossover for the past month, and I've gotten good results. So, let’s resurrect this thread.
I managed to run several softwares, like XBench (free version), Wf Converter, Synchroterm etc. On modern Macs, it is imperative that the app you will run with Crossover will be in 64 bits. Anything 32 bits will be forbidden by MacOS.
Check my video to see how it beha
... See more
I've been tinkering with Crossover for the past month, and I've gotten good results. So, let’s resurrect this thread.
I managed to run several softwares, like XBench (free version), Wf Converter, Synchroterm etc. On modern Macs, it is imperative that the app you will run with Crossover will be in 64 bits. Anything 32 bits will be forbidden by MacOS.
Check my video to see how it behaves: https://youtu.be/lNO3XUOTPU4?feature=shared
At the end I give the more advanced tricks for those of you who can go deeper.
I’ve managed to install memoQ but it refuses to run and Trados Studio refuses to install, but it’s just a question of finding the right tweaks. If someone finds the sauce for these, please post, I think many will be happy.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Crossover: any experiences?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »