Steven Capsuto
Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:32
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Sep 27, 2006

I know that Trados can handle huge TM's without breaking a sweat. (One of my Trados TMs has about 30,000 segments in it and it works just fine.)

However, I'm thinking of getting Wordfast so I can easily do jobs on my old PowerBook G4 when I'm on the road. I have Virtual PC, but it crashes more often than I like and causes nasty data corruptions. So I'd rather have a Mac-native solution.

My question is: Is Wordfast scalable enough to handle my larger TMs without choking?
... See more
I know that Trados can handle huge TM's without breaking a sweat. (One of my Trados TMs has about 30,000 segments in it and it works just fine.)

However, I'm thinking of getting Wordfast so I can easily do jobs on my old PowerBook G4 when I'm on the road. I have Virtual PC, but it crashes more often than I like and causes nasty data corruptions. So I'd rather have a Mac-native solution.

My question is: Is Wordfast scalable enough to handle my larger TMs without choking?

Also, how does Wordfast's glossary-management tool compare with Trados MultiTerm?

Thanks in advance for any advice and suggestions.

[Edited at 2006-09-27 02:06]
Collapse

Jörgen Slet
Jörgen Slet  Identity Verified
Estonia
Local time: 15:32
English to Estonian
+ ...
30000 segments is a tiny TM Sep 27, 2006

30000 segments is a tiny TM for any CAT tool. By the time you hit Wordfast's limits for local TM-s (500,000 segments) these limits will not be there any more. And WF also offers a free TM server service where TM size is almost unlimited (20 million segments).

(Oops, the server client is not available for Macs).

The glossary tool is a simple word(string) pair based tool, with additional comment and custom fields. Its one advantage is the possibility of entering wildcards
... See more
30000 segments is a tiny TM for any CAT tool. By the time you hit Wordfast's limits for local TM-s (500,000 segments) these limits will not be there any more. And WF also offers a free TM server service where TM size is almost unlimited (20 million segments).

(Oops, the server client is not available for Macs).

The glossary tool is a simple word(string) pair based tool, with additional comment and custom fields. Its one advantage is the possibility of entering wildcards into the glossary (like chromatogr*).

[Edited at 2006-09-27 19:55]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Scalability of Wordfast for Mac?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »