Corrupt accented characters in OS X 10.5
Thread poster: Alan Campbell
Alan Campbell
Alan Campbell  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:25
Russian to English
Feb 19, 2008

I moved all my translation memories and glossaries from my WinXP box to my Leopard iMac and all the accented French and German characters are corrupted, eg: Ètais trËs intimidÈe should read Étais très intimidée. I guess it must be something to do with encoding but I can't figure it out and I have way too many of these txt files to do a find/replace. I emailed one file from the Mac back to Windows and it still views fine in Windows.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Cams

Alfredo Fernández Martínez
Alfredo Fernández Martínez  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 15:25
English to Spanish
+ ...
Just an idea Feb 19, 2008

Alan,

I am a Mac OS X user too, from Tiger. Normally, my French, Spanish and German characters are ok, i.e. in files, or names, when transfered from a HP I have with Windows XP home edition.

An idea would be, perhaps, to convert your glossaries into Unicode UTF 8, so it's the universal standard. And then you should be ok in either system.
Check your keyboard settings in both your Mac and you HP.

Now, your keyboard may play a role too, ... do you hap
... See more
Alan,

I am a Mac OS X user too, from Tiger. Normally, my French, Spanish and German characters are ok, i.e. in files, or names, when transfered from a HP I have with Windows XP home edition.

An idea would be, perhaps, to convert your glossaries into Unicode UTF 8, so it's the universal standard. And then you should be ok in either system.
Check your keyboard settings in both your Mac and you HP.

Now, your keyboard may play a role too, ... do you happen to use a French keyboard? Try with a British one, it may give you some clues.

HTH

Alfredo
Collapse

Alan Campbell
Alan Campbell  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:25
Russian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Feb 19, 2008

Thanks for the suggestion Alfredo. I'm using a Mattias Tactile Pro keyboard in English but it also makes it easy to use accented characters with the right Alt key. Tell me, how does one go about converting txt files to Unicode in OS X? Bizarrely, all the Russian TMs I migrated from Windows to OS X are fine, it's just the French and German ones that are corrupted.

Daniel Felice
Daniel Felice
United States
Local time: 10:25
Japanese to English
maybe TextWrangler Feb 20, 2008

I've used TextWrangler to convert text between encodings a number of times. I don't know how it'll handle your TMs, but it's free, and from a longtime respected Mac developer, so it's worth a try. You can get it here: http://www.barebones.com/products/textwrangler/index.shtml

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Corrupt accented characters in OS X 10.5

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »