Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:48
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Sep 18, 2020

Dear colleagues

I've been provided with Administrator's rights to a website in Wordpress. My task is to translate the site. Is there a way to count the words, to download the pages to be translated in order to use a CAT tool, and once translated, to upload them?

Thanks

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 20:48
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Clarisa Sep 18, 2020

Clarisa Moraña wrote:
I've been provided with Administrator's rights to a website in Wordpress. My task is to translate the site.

Do you need to create a multilingual site or do you need to replace the current site with a new site in the new language?

Added: I suspect you could try to use the export/import functionality (I've never done it myself, though). Go to the admin page, then to Tools on the bottom left and then Export. Select what you want to export (e.g. make a separate page for posts and pages). This creates a XML file in "eXtended RSS" format which looks remarkably like HTML. Apparently you can then import the file again later. Exporting the file won't hurt your installation. I would not try importing it without confirming that the client agrees that it is safe to import. However, I'm not sure what CAT tool can handle eXtended RSS format.

[Edited at 2020-09-18 19:14 GMT]

Rodolfo Raya
Rodolfo Raya  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:48
English to Spanish
WPML Sep 18, 2020

Hi,

Use WordPress Multilingual Plugin, https://wpml.org/, to export the website as XLIFF and translate in a CAT tool.

Regards,
Rodolfo

Clarisa Moraña
Recep Kurt

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Rodolfo Sep 18, 2020

Rodolfo Raya wrote:
Use WordPress Multilingual Plugin, https://wpml.org/, to export the website as XLIFF and translate in a CAT tool.

Have you used that tool?

Rodolfo Raya
English to Spanish
WPML Sep 18, 2020

Samuel Murray wrote:
Have you used that tool?

I have not used WPML myself, but my tools support XLIFF from WPML and many translators work with those files.

Regards,
Rodolfo

Clarisa Moraña
United States
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Doubt Sep 18, 2020

Rodolfo Raya wrote:

Hi,

Regards,
Rodolfo

Thanks, Rodolfo. It seems that the plugin allows me to translate directly into Wordpress, but not to export the files to use a CAT tool.

[Edited at 2020-09-18 23:08 GMT]

Rodolfo Raya
English to Spanish
Export as XLIFF Sep 18, 2020

I don't know how to use WPML, but I'm sure it has as export XLIFF option. I have processed XLIFF files exported from WPML many times.

Check with WPML support.

Regards,
Rodolfo

Clarisa Moraña
United States
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Done that! Sep 18, 2020

Rodolfo Raya wrote:

I don't know how to use WPML, but I'm sure it has as export XLIFF option. I have processed XLIFF files exported from WPML many times.

Check with WPML support.

Regards,
Rodolfo

I've just done that five minutes ago. I think I will have an answer on Monday.

Thanks

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Clarisa Sep 19, 2020

Clarisa Moraña wrote:
It seems that the plugin allows me to translate directly into Wordpress, but not to export the files to use a CAT tool.

I've seen a number of how-to videos for this plugin, and they only show how to translate in the browser (either in a simple editor, and advanced editor, or in situ). However, if I google for WPML + XLIFF, I get some discussions about the XLIFF export feature, and I've even seen some screenshots of it. I'm not sure how much work would be needed after the translated XLIFF file is imported, but from what I can tell in other videos, you really need to know how to use Wordpress itself if you translate it, because your translations affect various visual elements that must be tweaked manually (but who knows... perhaps if you use the XLIFF export, you're safer). Either way, you should ask your client who is responsible for fixing the layout after the translation is done. Will you be the one checking that the text "sits good" in the live site, or someone else?

Noel McCourt
Noel McCourt  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:48
English
@Clarisa Sep 19, 2020

I have worked on a number of multilingual websites for WordPress. I believe what your client has requested might be beyond what you would normally be expected to do as a translator, but if you're comfortable working within the Wordpress admin area you do have a few options. All will need to be discussed with your client in advance. I have attempted to explain these below.

Website Export
Samuel mentioned the export in Wordpress which is an option. However, this is mainly used a
... See more
I have worked on a number of multilingual websites for WordPress. I believe what your client has requested might be beyond what you would normally be expected to do as a translator, but if you're comfortable working within the Wordpress admin area you do have a few options. All will need to be discussed with your client in advance. I have attempted to explain these below.

Website Export
Samuel mentioned the export in Wordpress which is an option. However, this is mainly used as a website backup or to move your website. The main file format which could be translated is XML but it can be difficult to work with (lots of embedded tags) and could contain content not to be translated such as text from the admin area. I have worked with these for translation but they are not an easy option. Also, and very importantly, it's only an option if you intend to replicate the entire website into a subdomain. When you reimport you will be replacing the content, not creating a translated version within Wordpress. This might sound ok, but it's not great for SEO and updates to the source are a nightmare because you have to repeat the whole process again to mirror the updates in the target website.

WPML
The next option are the plugins. These are probably the most common option and there are a number out there. WPML is the market leader but the free version only allows you to edit within Wordpress. The paid for version (which should be less than $100) allows export to XLIFF which I have processed for translation many times and is ok to work with. Typically there is an individual XLIFF for each page\post which requires translation. Non-article content (footers, menus etc.) need to be exported individually and I believe the only format for these are PO files - but your CAT tool should be able to handle these. The content needs to be locked (no editing after exporting) whilst the XLIFF & PO is in translation, or it may affect the import. Whichever option you choose for WPML you still need to speak to your client. There are decisions to be made around the language switcher\menu and which URL the localized site should use. For the licensed version, ideally the client would need to purchase this as it's tied to the domain and needs to be renewed (I think every 2 years?) - so you don't want to be doing that.

There are a number of other plugins which do the same thing as the free WPML version - essentially translating directly within Wordpress. Search the plugin directory for localization and you'll find them.

TMS Connector
In the last few years some of the mainstream TMS and the cloud systems have developed connectors for Wordpress. These work by installing a plugin within the Wordpress admin (easy to do) and then enter the details of your account for the TMS. There is usually some sort of translation management associated with the plugin which allows you to select which content should be sent to translation. In your TMS, you translate and confirm, and the content is automatically pulled back into Wordpress for editing\review and publishing. From what I can tell, most of these connectors come with a paid subscription but if you have accounts for any TMS or CAT tool, check if they also have a Wordpress connector. It is the best option and the process should be well documented. There is also a free connector available on my website:
https://locserve.co.uk/introducing-locpress-wordpress-localization-done

I'm not promoting this connector over any others but the steps are explained in detail in that link and process is quite similar with most other connectors.

Whichever option you choose I would recommend the following steps:
- Find out what your client wants in terms of the language switcher and URLs e.g. fr.mysite.com or mysite.com/fr
- Create a test site - a full copy of the actual site which can be broken at any time.
- Test the process - whether it's XLIFF, PO or a connector do a pseudo translation, import and review. You will see if any content has not be exported for translation and you'll know if the process works before committing.
- Lockdown the source content before sending\exporting for translation.
- Do an in context review - discuss with our client who is responsible for fixing layout issues or other formatting which can't be fixed by editing the translation.

Hope this helps.
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Noel Sep 19, 2020

Noel McCourt wrote:
For the licensed version, ideally the client would need to purchase this as it's tied to the domain and needs to be renewed (I think every 2 years?) - so you don't want to be doing that.

From what I understood from various YouTube videos, you only need to renew the license if you intend to continue doing translations using the plugin. If this project is a once-off translation or if the client is willing to use a different translation method in future, e.g. some other free plugin, there is no need to renew the WPML license. I'm not 100% sure about this, but that is how I understood it.

Noel McCourt wrote:
There is also a free connector available on my website:
https://locserve.co.uk/introducing-locpress-wordpress-localization-done
I'm not promoting this connector over any others but the steps are explained in detail in that link and process is quite similar with most other connectors.

Thanks for that, Noel. From what I can see, in its current state, the LocServe connector sends the source text to the LocServe translation agency for translation. However, it is GPL2, so presumably anyone with some skill should be able to edit the source code to take LocServe out of the loop.

FWIW, I googled a bit and saw that Memsource does have a Wordpress connector. To use Memsource in this way requires one to buy WPML anyway and it also requires at least a "Team" subscription of Memsource, which is $200 per month. So, it looks great for large, ongoing projects with dedicated project managers and multiple translators, but not really something for a freelancer with just one medium to small site to translate.

I found that Smartcat also has a Wordpress connector, and it looks as if the free freelance version of Smartcat can be used for this. It too requires that you buy WPML, but if one finds Smartcat easy to use, then it may be a useful way of managing the translation. I'm just speculating here.

[Edited at 2020-09-19 10:59 GMT]

Noel McCourt
Noel McCourt  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:48
English
@Samuel Sep 19, 2020

You might be correct about the licence. I don't know what features, if any, are lost if the licence expires - maybe none. Also, from memory you get 3 URLs to use with one licence so you could purchase as a translator and potentially use on other projects.

Regarding the connector, you're correct in that as well. Many agencies have developed their own connectors or customised existing solutions. For translators, my recommendation would be to look at the solutions provided by CAT tools
... See more
You might be correct about the licence. I don't know what features, if any, are lost if the licence expires - maybe none. Also, from memory you get 3 URLs to use with one licence so you could purchase as a translator and potentially use on other projects.

Regarding the connector, you're correct in that as well. Many agencies have developed their own connectors or customised existing solutions. For translators, my recommendation would be to look at the solutions provided by CAT tools they are already using. $200 per month seems pricey. I'm sure I saw more affordable options somewhere.
Collapse

Clarisa Moraña
United States
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@noel, a big thank you. Sep 19, 2020

Noel McCourt wrote:

(...)

Whichever option you choose I would recommend the following steps:
- Find out what your client wants in terms of the language switcher and URLs e.g. fr.mysite.com or mysite.com/fr
- Create a test site - a full copy of the actual site which can be broken at any time.
- Test the process - whether it's XLIFF, PO or a connector do a pseudo translation, import and review. You will see if any content has not be exported for translation and you'll know if the process works before committing.
- Lockdown the source content before sending\exporting for translation.
- Do an in context review - discuss with our client who is responsible for fixing layout issues or other formatting which can't be fixed by editing the translation.

Hope this helps.

I do appreciate your detailed explaination. Thanks again!

Clarisa Moraña
United States
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@samuel Sep 19, 2020

Samuel Murray wrote:

Clarisa Moraña wrote:
I've been provided with Administrator's rights to a website in Wordpress. My task is to translate the site.

Do you need to create a multilingual site or do you need to replace the current site with a new site in the new language?

Added: I suspect you could try to use the export/import functionality (I've never done it myself, though). Go to the admin page, then to Tools on the bottom left and then Export. Select what you want to export (e.g. make a separate page for posts and pages). This creates a XML file in "eXtended RSS" format which looks remarkably like HTML. Apparently you can then import the file again later. Exporting the file won't hurt your installation. I would not try importing it without confirming that the client agrees that it is safe to import. However, I'm not sure what CAT tool can handle eXtended RSS format.

[Edited at 2020-09-18 19:14 GMT]

I will try to use the export functionality. I will let you know the results.

Thanks

Clarisa

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

WordPress site translation

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »