Pedro Álvares  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 13:05
Member (2020)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Mar 31, 2021

Hello everyone,

A client has requested a transcription in English of audio files and wishes the final document to be in .docx format (Word file). The transcription must include the time stamps.

I have so far been using Amara.org as my transcription platform, which doesn't allow for conversion into this format. What other software (free or paid) would you recommend for this kind of projects? Would a conversion from .srt to .docx after the transcription is done be a feas
... See more
Hello everyone,

A client has requested a transcription in English of audio files and wishes the final document to be in .docx format (Word file). The transcription must include the time stamps.

I have so far been using Amara.org as my transcription platform, which doesn't allow for conversion into this format. What other software (free or paid) would you recommend for this kind of projects? Would a conversion from .srt to .docx after the transcription is done be a feasable option in your opinion?

Thank you!

[Edited at 2021-03-31 17:15 GMT]
Collapse

Kristopher Brame
Kristopher Brame  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:05
Member (2018)
German to English
+ ...
FTW transcriber or Express Scribe Mar 31, 2021

I've used FTW transcriber before and thought it was useful. I liked how you could just do it in a word document. It has functions like time stamps, 0.5x speed (or less), etc. The paid version was 24 USD for 2 years. I think the other option was 10 USD for a month. I know a lot of people like Express Scribe too.

You can definitely convert an SRT to a DOCX, but I'm not sure why you would want to go through the extra work of creating an SRT. Also, if you do this, it will have your choi
... See more
I've used FTW transcriber before and thought it was useful. I liked how you could just do it in a word document. It has functions like time stamps, 0.5x speed (or less), etc. The paid version was 24 USD for 2 years. I think the other option was 10 USD for a month. I know a lot of people like Express Scribe too.

You can definitely convert an SRT to a DOCX, but I'm not sure why you would want to go through the extra work of creating an SRT. Also, if you do this, it will have your choice of no time codes or both in and out time of each "subtitle", which you probably don't want. It seems like a better plan to transcribe it directly into a DOCX.
Collapse

Pedro Álvares
Pedro Álvares  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 13:05
Member (2020)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Mar 31, 2021

Thank you for the tip.

The reason I was considering converting the file from .SRT to .docx was that in Amara you can't transcribe to .docx directly, and this is the software I have been using. But I have searched FTW transcriber as per your suggestion and it looks like it will do nicely.

Regards

Kristopher Brame

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Good transcription software that creates .docx files

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »