Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:17
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
My son is infected (he is a teacher) Nov 2, 2020

expressisverbis wrote:
You will see! It won't be nothing serious!
I also had one close family member infected, and she is doing well now.
We can't see each other or be together, because she is a nurse. It's a bit hard, but we know this "monster" will simply fade away in the same way it came.
Stay strong! Think positive!

He had strong fever, now he seems better, he is a young man so he seems recovering now, but it will be a long path, not exactly a simple flue, I am closed in another apartment, delivering him food out of his door, with gloves, mask and so on, then sanitizing even my shoes. Terrible, difficult.

But thank you Exy!

expressisverbis
P.L.F. Persio
Yaotl Altan
Thomas T. Frost

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Local time: 13:17
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I'm so sorry to hear that... but Nov 2, 2020

Angie Garbarino wrote:

expressisverbis wrote:
We can't see each other or be together, because she is a nurse. It's a bit hard, but we know this "monster" will simply fade away in the same way it came.

He had strong fever, now he seems better, he is a young man so he seems recovering now, but it will be a long path, not exactly a simple flue, I am closed in another apartment, delivering him food out of his door, with gloves, mask and so on, then sanitizing even my shoes. Terrible, difficult.

But thank you Exy!

If you need anything, please just ask. I can always call my sister to "assist" us.
I know it is not easy, but we aren't alone! We can take care of each other! I am not saying this just because... I mean it.

Christopher Schröder
Angie Garbarino
Zibow Retailleau
P.L.F. Persio
Thomas T. Frost

John Morgan
John Morgan
United States
Hi there Dec 18, 2020

This year almost gone, I hope next year will be much better. Be safe stay healthy

expressisverbis

Yaotl Altan
Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 07:17
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Get well. Jan 28, 2021

Angie Garbarino wrote:

expressisverbis wrote:

But thank you Exy!

I hope he's well now, Angie.

I have a cousin in Sicilia and more relatives in Friuli-Venezia-Giulia.

Mervyn Henderson (X)
expressisverbis
Thomas T. Frost
IrinaN
Angie Garbarino
P.L.F. Persio

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
AstraZeneca Jan 28, 2021

Got vaccinated 2 days ago. Need a follow-up shot later. Side-effects the following day: fatigue (but maybe I was just tired anyway from working long hours on a very long, tedious translation). Psychological effect: very encouraging even though we have to keep up the same precautions. Time required for the vaccine to become effective: 21 days.

We still don't know for sure how effective the vaccine is. Not even the experts know for sure. But chapeau to the researchers at Oxford Unive
... See more
Got vaccinated 2 days ago. Need a follow-up shot later. Side-effects the following day: fatigue (but maybe I was just tired anyway from working long hours on a very long, tedious translation). Psychological effect: very encouraging even though we have to keep up the same precautions. Time required for the vaccine to become effective: 21 days.

We still don't know for sure how effective the vaccine is. Not even the experts know for sure. But chapeau to the researchers at Oxford University for doing this in such a short time.

Euro-vaccine wars: I require the politicians to resolve this problem. That's their job. And we need to get everybody vaccinated where it's really needed, such as South Africa, Brazil, etc.

[Edited at 2021-01-28 18:32 GMT]
Collapse

Mervyn Henderson (X)
expressisverbis
Matthias Brombach
Thomas T. Frost
P.L.F. Persio

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Tom Jan 28, 2021

Make sure you keep us posted, Tom, please. I've been hearing about vaccines for a month now, and I haven't had a shot yet, but nobody seems to be saying anything about whether it works. Thanks.

expressisverbis
Thomas T. Frost
Angie Garbarino
P.L.F. Persio

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
deleted Jan 28, 2021

[Edited at 2021-01-29 14:02 GMT]

expressisverbis
Thomas T. Frost
Mervyn Henderson (X)
P.L.F. Persio

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
No idea Jan 28, 2021

I had no idea you were over 80, Tom. Fair play still working at that age!!

Matthias Brombach
Thomas T. Frost
Angie Garbarino
Mervyn Henderson (X)
Dan Lucas
P.L.F. Persio
expressisverbis

Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei  Identity Verified
Ghana
Japanese to English
That's great Jan 28, 2021

Tom in London wrote:
Euro-vaccine wars: I require the politicians to resolve this problem. That's their job. And we need to get everybody vaccinated where it's really needed, such as South Africa, Brazil, etc.

It's good you were able to get your shot. I hope more and more people can be vaccinated as soon as possible. Over here we haven't even seen the "v" in "vaccine" yet, and all the hospitals are full...

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Angie Garbarino
P.L.F. Persio
Christopher Schröder
expressisverbis

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
But... Jan 29, 2021

Chris S wrote:

I had no idea you were over 80, Tom.

isn't the vaccine that Tom was given recommended only for people of age between 18 and 65 years, as I have read in the Kieler Nachrichten today? Perhaps you should reconsider your guess then, Chris.
And what about the leaflet? No marks on any position? No comma left, no unusual phrase used?

[Bearbeitet am 2021-01-29 07:28 GMT]

Angie Garbarino
Christopher Schröder
P.L.F. Persio
expressisverbis

Angie Garbarino
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
I read it too Jan 29, 2021

Matthias Brombach wrote:

isn't the vaccine that Tom was given recommended only for people of age between 18 and 65 years, as I have read in the Kieler Nachrichten today?

Also in the Italian Newspapers and TV "AstraZeneca not recommended after 65 because experimentation was not sufficient"

[Edited at 2021-01-29 08:26 GMT]

Matthias Brombach
P.L.F. Persio
expressisverbis

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
UK and the Oxford vaccine Jan 29, 2021

If it weren’t for the circumstances, it would be quite funny. Europe rowing with newly divorced UK over immediate access to a British drug that Europe hasn’t yet approved and doesn’t plan to use in the first big chunk of the population anyway....

And you mustn’t forget, this is not the AstraZeneca vaccine. This is the Oxford vaccine. We made it. It’s British. It’s therefore better than the others. It’s also ours, and you can’t have it. Would you like me to say that l
... See more
If it weren’t for the circumstances, it would be quite funny. Europe rowing with newly divorced UK over immediate access to a British drug that Europe hasn’t yet approved and doesn’t plan to use in the first big chunk of the population anyway....

And you mustn’t forget, this is not the AstraZeneca vaccine. This is the Oxford vaccine. We made it. It’s British. It’s therefore better than the others. It’s also ours, and you can’t have it. Would you like me to say that louder and slower for you?

The UK government has taken risks throughout the pandemic. These now include giving the vaccine to the elderly despite little testing (argument: it ought to work), getting as many first doses in as possible (it ought to work a bit), extending the gap between doses from three to 12 weeks (it ought to be OK) and even having one dose of one vaccine and one dose of another (it ought to be fine).

Unlike the previous gambles, this one may pay off.
Collapse

P.L.F. Persio
expressisverbis
Rachel Fell

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
GrammarMan strikes again Jan 29, 2021

Matthias Brombach wrote:

And what about the leaflet? No marks on any position? No comma left, no unusual phrase used?

Such as “However, a mild fever or infection, like a cold, are not reasons to delay vaccination”?

Angie Garbarino
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
@ Chris I hope you are joking Jan 29, 2021

Otherwise I have to disagree,
it is not yours it is ANGLO ITALIANO please read this article from May https://www.rifday.it/2020/05/04/covid-vaccino-anglo-italiano-in-studio-a-oxford-forse-100-milioni-di-dosi-a-dicembre/
You can use google translate for understanding, for the rest well B... is on his own pat
... See more
it is not yours it is ANGLO ITALIANO please read this article from May https://www.rifday.it/2020/05/04/covid-vaccino-anglo-italiano-in-studio-a-oxford-forse-100-milioni-di-dosi-a-dicembre/
You can use google translate for understanding, for the rest well B... is on his own path.... no problems provided that fleets of half-vaccinated British people do not roam the world reinfecting again.
Collapse

Christopher Schröder

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
I wish I was joking Jan 29, 2021

Angie Garbarino wrote:

You can use google translate for understanding, for the rest well B... is on his own path.... no problems provided that fleets of half-vaccinated British people do not roam the world reinfecting again.

Sadly I am not joking. That is the kind of political rhetoric we’re getting.

Interesting to hear that the Italians think they have a stake in the vaccine too. Never heard that before.

Maybe everyone does. Perhaps it’s also the German Oxford vaccine, because Heinz’s cousin once delivered a parcel there.

Seriously, though, the politics and the ethics of who gets the vaccines first are mind-boggling. Surely it ought to be countries in the developing world with weak health systems? We don’t hear anything about how they are coping.

Kuochoe?

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Impact of COVID 19 Pandemic to you

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »