Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:45
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Information overload Jan 29, 2021

Angie Garbarino wrote:

Matthias Brombach wrote:

isn't the vaccine that Tom was given recommended only for people of age between 18 and 65 years, as I have read in the Kieler Nachrichten today?

Also in the Italian Newspapers and TV "AstraZeneca not recommended after 65 because experimentation was not sufficient"

[Edited at 2021-01-29 08:26 GMT]

There is information coming from all sides about the various vaccines. Some of it is serious, peer-reviewed, and credible but most of it is not. Some people are prepared to believe anything. For serious information I recommend this website:

https://tinyurl.com/y3nqojbq

[Edited at 2021-01-29 09:31 GMT]

P.L.F. Persio

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:45
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
Indeed Jan 29, 2021

Chris S wrote:

Interesting to hear that the Italians think they have a stake in the vaccine too. Never heard that before.

Maybe everyone does. Perhaps it’s also the German Oxford vaccine, because Heinz’s cousin once delivered a parcel there.

A lot of money and several scientists were provided by Italy in the Oxford vaccine, then ASTRAZENECA produced it.

Seriously, though, the politics and the ethics of who gets the vaccines first are mind-boggling. Surely it ought to be countries in the developing world with weak health systems? We don’t hear anything about how they are coping.

Yes I agree with you...

Christopher Schröder
expressisverbis

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
No idea Jan 29, 2021

Chris S wrote:

I had no idea you were over 80, Tom. Fair play still working at that age!!

You actually have no idea who I am at all - except what I have told you. Try to bear that in mind.

Christopher Schröder
Mervyn Henderson (X)
expressisverbis
P.L.F. Persio

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
I understand Jan 29, 2021

Tom in London wrote:

There is information coming from all sides about the various vaccines. Some of it is serious, peer-reviewed, and credible but most of it is not. Some people are prepared to believe anything. For serious information I recommend this website:

https://tinyurl.com/y3nqojbq

However Europe (not Britain I know) is subjected to EMA, approval is expected today, shall see what...

Christopher Schröder

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Disappointed Jan 29, 2021

Tom in London wrote:
You actually have no idea who I am at all - except what I have told you. Try to bear that in mind.

So you’re not a rampaging bull trapped in the body of a beautiful woman after all?

Mervyn Henderson (X)
expressisverbis
P.L.F. Persio

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Rampaging? Jan 29, 2021

I'd prefer Raging. Robert de Niro raging his bull, trapped in the body of Sylvia Saint. Yes, I know you thought I was going to say Keira Knightley there, but I didn't. Jesus, Keira bloody Knightley. I've taken a leaf out of Peter Cook's book, and filed a restraining order now, after all the phone calls in the wee hours asking if she's still my little dippy-wippy. What does that even mean, for Pete's sake?

Tom has a few Bob traits, though. Can't see if he has a mole on his right chee
... See more
I'd prefer Raging. Robert de Niro raging his bull, trapped in the body of Sylvia Saint. Yes, I know you thought I was going to say Keira Knightley there, but I didn't. Jesus, Keira bloody Knightley. I've taken a leaf out of Peter Cook's book, and filed a restraining order now, after all the phone calls in the wee hours asking if she's still my little dippy-wippy. What does that even mean, for Pete's sake?

Tom has a few Bob traits, though. Can't see if he has a mole on his right cheek, but basically he's doing all right there, and younger too, but then most of us are younger than De Niro. Maybe he should update the photo and not smile, but kind of glare, like he was saying "Are you axin' me for a translation? Are you axin' me? Nobody translatin' here but me, pal, so are you axin' me for a translation?"

I don't know why I associate Tom with films. Maybe I'm doing it just because it's Friday.
Collapse

expressisverbis
Christopher Schröder
P.L.F. Persio

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
I do. Jan 29, 2021

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

I don't know why I associate Tom with films.

It's because you know nothing about me, and your associative processes are based on films you happen to know.

Mervyn Henderson (X)
expressisverbis
P.L.F. Persio

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Oh no, Tom ... Jan 29, 2021

That's where you're wrong. That's twice in the last year or so, telling me that I don't know anything about you, but I do. And you know you're wrong, too.

I know plenty about you without knowing you, and so do you about me. NI is a very, very small place on the Wet Rock. I know more or less where you grew up, and it's not a kick in the arse away from where I grew up. I know who you knew, what you saw, what you heard, where you went, where you didn't go, why you went there and why y
... See more
That's where you're wrong. That's twice in the last year or so, telling me that I don't know anything about you, but I do. And you know you're wrong, too.

I know plenty about you without knowing you, and so do you about me. NI is a very, very small place on the Wet Rock. I know more or less where you grew up, and it's not a kick in the arse away from where I grew up. I know who you knew, what you saw, what you heard, where you went, where you didn't go, why you went there and why you didn't go there, and what you felt when you did or didn't. I could even hazard a guess at where you went to school, or at least the kind of school you went to, and what they taught you there (and what they didn't teach you).

I know a lot about you, and you know a lot about me. So please don't tell me I don't, and don't tell me you don't either.
Collapse

expressisverbis
Christopher Schröder
Angie Garbarino

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
OK Jan 29, 2021

OK Mervyn - prove it by answering the following questions:

Where did I grew up?
Who did I know?
What did I see?
What did I hear?
Where did I go?
Where did I not go?
Why didn't I go there?
What did I feel when I did or didn't?
Also; hazard a guess at where I went to school, or at least the kind of school I went to, and what they taught me there

You are an absurd person. You can't answer any of those questions.

... See more

Where did I grew up?
Who did I know?
What did I see?
What did I hear?
Where did I go?
Where did I not go?
Why didn't I go there?
What did I feel when I did or didn't?
Also; hazard a guess at where I went to school, or at least the kind of school I went to, and what they taught me there

You are an absurd person. You can't answer any of those questions.

Let's get back to the topic: how is Covid affecting you as a translator?

[Edited at 2021-01-29 13:31 GMT]
Collapse

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Gentlemen... Jan 29, 2021

Tom in London wrote:

... please! I beg your pardon! No arguments here in front of a public audience! Why don't you exchange all the details you seem to know from each other by private mail*?

*(and put me in CC, thanks**)
**(and P.L.F.Persio, too!***)
***(not to forget Angie)

[Bearbeitet am 2021-01-29 17:01 GMT]

P.L.F. Persio
Angie Garbarino

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Leaving Jan 29, 2021

I am now leaving these discussion forums. There are two reasons: Mervyn and Chris. When they go, I may come back. Which could be never.

[Edited at 2021-01-29 13:54 GMT]

Jo Macdonald
Jo Macdonald  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
Yeah Jan 29, 2021

I think I've gone and got it

But it hasn't got me yet

Mervyn Henderson (X)

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Methinks ... Jan 29, 2021

... the man doth protest too much.

expressisverbis

Barbara Carrara
Barbara Carrara  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
Children... Children! Jan 29, 2021

Chill pill time!

P.L.F. Persio

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
"Which could be never" Jan 29, 2021

Wot drama.

Wasn't that a Marlon Brando line? Probably not. He wouldn't have said Which. He'd have said "'That could be nevah, Charlie".

Or was it Robert de Niro? Probably not. He'd have said "Which could be not never, ya crazy?"

Or was it Ryan Gosling? Probably not. He'd have said "Hey babe, which has changed my life forever."

And I see Chris is being dragged in too. "When they go, I may come back." Seriously? Why does my mind's eye co
... See more
Wot drama.

Wasn't that a Marlon Brando line? Probably not. He wouldn't have said Which. He'd have said "'That could be nevah, Charlie".

Or was it Robert de Niro? Probably not. He'd have said "Which could be not never, ya crazy?"

Or was it Ryan Gosling? Probably not. He'd have said "Hey babe, which has changed my life forever."

And I see Chris is being dragged in too. "When they go, I may come back." Seriously? Why does my mind's eye conjure up a small boy, pouting as he stalks off a makeshift footie pitch with jerseys piled up as goals at either end, screaming "It wasn't a goal, so it wasn't, and it's my ball, and you used a double negative, too, and I'm going home!"

[Edited at 2021-01-29 18:39 GMT]

[Edited at 2021-01-29 18:40 GMT]
Collapse

expressisverbis
Zibow Retailleau

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Impact of COVID 19 Pandemic to you

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »