Kevin Lossner
Kevin Lossner  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 11:54
German to English
+ ...
Why do you think I gave up 10 years ago? Oct 16, 2018

Mario Cerutti wrote:
"As a long-time Déjàvu user, I recognize that it’s been the cheapest among the paid CAT tools on the market (in more than ten years I paid only two licenses, and they were still cheaper than competitors'), yet all in all it's still very powerful. If they had made it a paid software some years ago they would have had all the necessary resources to keep it among the best CAT tools around, if not the best of all."

That has been the problem all along. Ulti
... See more
Mario Cerutti wrote:
"As a long-time Déjàvu user, I recognize that it’s been the cheapest among the paid CAT tools on the market (in more than ten years I paid only two licenses, and they were still cheaper than competitors'), yet all in all it's still very powerful. If they had made it a paid software some years ago they would have had all the necessary resources to keep it among the best CAT tools around, if not the best of all."

That has been the problem all along. Ultimately, you get what you pay for. For well over a decade now, development and support been grossly underfunded, and this has essentially killed the company and the product. The chief architect of DV/DVX is widely acknowledged as one of the most creative and competent individuals in the field, but without the necessary resources it's impossible to keep up with the pace of technical changes in this sector. The problem of endlessly delayed updates and bug fixes goes back to the middle of the last decade.

I don't see anything inexpensive in a situation where the lack of progress and fixes hinders my ability to work. DV paid for itself on my first project with it more than 18 years ago when it cost me nearly €1000. License acquisition fees and maintenance are trivial costs compared to the opportunity costs in a viable business.

Perhaps the best parts of DVX should be reworked as integratable modules for other CAT tools, allowing Atril to generate new fees and focus on modules it does best while leaving less interesting and profitable parts to others. Perhaps the desktop client should be made capable of working directly with popular servers which often have worse-than-awful client software. In any case, the path the company has been on for a very long time has not put it in a position to serve much of its user base well, and without changes, no other result can be expected.
Collapse

Rob Edwards

mikhailo
mikhailo
Local time: 14:54
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
To all, who think that money is the main problem Oct 16, 2018

To all, who think that money is the main problem

Why MS (and a lot of other IT) that has a lot of money DID NOTHING really useful in their software for last 10-15 years?
Win 10 seems to be made to create continuous problems for their users (obvious DEGRADATION of software and its quality with a lot of money).
The same applies to Android from 4.4 to 8, where there are very few useful new features, but a lot of shadowing features.
Now is impossible to say a word in
... See more
To all, who think that money is the main problem

Why MS (and a lot of other IT) that has a lot of money DID NOTHING really useful in their software for last 10-15 years?
Win 10 seems to be made to create continuous problems for their users (obvious DEGRADATION of software and its quality with a lot of money).
The same applies to Android from 4.4 to 8, where there are very few useful new features, but a lot of shadowing features.
Now is impossible to say a word in presence of smart, and not to see after google adword banner.
Collapse

Merab Dekano
Merab Dekano  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2014)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Support would go first Oct 16, 2018

Matthias Brombach wrote:

... I got a swift reply by Lorenzo Benito on my request for helping me with an issue I had with DV X3. I therefore don´t think they are "dead" already or will become dead soon.

If the company were to go belly up any time soon, their technical support wold be the first to go.

That’s not the case. In fact, every time I had a problem with the current product, I always received a reply (with a solution) either the same day or next day at the latest.

Selcuk Akyuz
Matthias Brombach

Merab Dekano
Spain
Member (2014)
English to Spanish
+ ...
They need to be quick Oct 16, 2018

As far as I know, SDL Trados upgrade path from 2014 to 2019 version ends on 01 January 2019. After that we’ll have to pay a new license price, if we were to use the 2019 version.

If Atril is dying, or is dead and they just keep the body in a refrigerator, we need to know it, and we need to know it now.

I am using SDL Trados 2014 as a backup CAT tool. Not my favourite (DVX3 is; the reason I am using it on a daily basis).

However, if Atril’s to go, I’l
... See more
As far as I know, SDL Trados upgrade path from 2014 to 2019 version ends on 01 January 2019. After that we’ll have to pay a new license price, if we were to use the 2019 version.

If Atril is dying, or is dead and they just keep the body in a refrigerator, we need to know it, and we need to know it now.

I am using SDL Trados 2014 as a backup CAT tool. Not my favourite (DVX3 is; the reason I am using it on a daily basis).

However, if Atril’s to go, I’ll probably upgrae to Studio 2019.

Another option would be to go for memoQ, make it my daily tool, and keep Studio 2014 as a backup.

Guys, anything???
Collapse

Mario Cerutti
Mario Cerutti  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 20:54
Italian to Japanese
+ ...
Consider CafeTran too Oct 16, 2018

Merab Dekano wrote:

Another option would be to go for memoQ, make it my daily tool, and keep Studio 2014 as a backup.

Guys, anything???

It's different (it requires some efforts at the beginning because it pursues a different logic, but then it's far more logical than it might seem at first), plus it's made by a colleague translator, therefore with the translator and only the translator in mind. Finally, it evolves continuously, sometimes with daily updates to incorporate users' ideas and suggestions. You may well end up liking it a lot, as it happened to me and, as Jean says, using it could even be enjoyable.

[Edited at 2018-10-17 04:12 GMT]

Hans Lenting

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
+1 for CafeTran Espresso Oct 17, 2018

Obviously, I hope Atril finds a way to get around the current stalemate, but I guess you also need to consider your options.

If you keep SDL Trados as a backup, you may as well want to upgrade it anyway (to be future-proof / do you already receive projects that can't be handled by the 2014 edition anymore?), at which point you can also make it your new daily CAT.

If you don't like the idea of having SDL Trados as your main tool (which I can fully relate to!), I too seco
... See more
Obviously, I hope Atril finds a way to get around the current stalemate, but I guess you also need to consider your options.

If you keep SDL Trados as a backup, you may as well want to upgrade it anyway (to be future-proof / do you already receive projects that can't be handled by the 2014 edition anymore?), at which point you can also make it your new daily CAT.

If you don't like the idea of having SDL Trados as your main tool (which I can fully relate to!), I too second CafeTran Espresso. I use it everyday (with the same backup tool as you) except for some online jobs.

Here are its licencing options: https://www.cafetran.com/get-cafetran/ but since you are a ProZ member, you can also simply upgrade to ProZ Plus and enjoy a yearly floating licence with your online ProZ credentials.

While CafeTran Espresso can be used as a backup tool as well (and features some excellent TMX editing/maintenance and conversion capabilities), do not let its price or the fact it is being developed by a single person fool you. I think Mario makes it sound like it's a bad thing, but being backed by a (very responsive and talented) developer-translator is a strength in various ways. It makes for a highly translator-oriented CAT environment, which shows in numerous details. Plus, CafeTran can handle external projects from various CAT tools (including SDLXLIFFs and Trados packages), which makes it very versatile.

It is a powerful tool in many respects and, most importantly, an *enjoyable* one.

As a plus point, it seems that some Deja Vu users have appreciated the experience.

Merab, if you ever consider it as an option, do PM me. I'm not affiliated to CafeTran, but have been involved with some complementary documentation project. I've been enjoying your posts and would be happy to help you make the switch.

Jean

[Edited at 2018-10-17 00:42 GMT]
Collapse

Hans Lenting

Mario Cerutti
Mario Cerutti  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 20:54
Italian to Japanese
+ ...
Sorry, bad wording Oct 17, 2018

I think Mario makes it sound like it's a bad thing...

The fact that it "requires some efforts to learn" (it does, but it could be only ne) is not a "bad thing" per se, or something that might prevent a reasonably technically-savvy translator from learning a new professional tool. On the other hand, SDL Studio and Transit NXT too require some efforts, or even more, don't they? If I ever considered it a bad thing I wouldn't have made CafeTran Espresso my current CAT tool of choice.

[Edited at 2018-10-17 03:46 GMT]

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Bad wording indeed Oct 17, 2018

Apologies, bad wording on my part indeed, I simply meant to expand upon your suggestion (and it is telling that it comes from a former Déjà Vu user such as yourself). I just felt the fact "it's made by a colleague translator" didn't highlight enough the CAT tool's powerful nature. It is clearly not a side-project, and it is continuously being refined for many years now.

I agree it takes time to master any CAT tool, but this is not a huge issue when you already know your way around
... See more
Apologies, bad wording on my part indeed, I simply meant to expand upon your suggestion (and it is telling that it comes from a former Déjà Vu user such as yourself). I just felt the fact "it's made by a colleague translator" didn't highlight enough the CAT tool's powerful nature. It is clearly not a side-project, and it is continuously being refined for many years now.

I agree it takes time to master any CAT tool, but this is not a huge issue when you already know your way around and simply decide to switch to a new one.

[Edited at 2018-10-17 03:14 GMT]
Collapse

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
About CafeTran Oct 17, 2018

CafeTran was an easy to learn CAT tool a few years ago. But now I am lost in that tool. There is no help file (yes, I am aware of the voluntary help file projects). New features are added in each build but without an official help file it is not easy to follow changes. And I cannot visit the forum daily: https://cafetran.freshdesk.com/support/discussions

Well, CafeTran is p
... See more
CafeTran was an easy to learn CAT tool a few years ago. But now I am lost in that tool. There is no help file (yes, I am aware of the voluntary help file projects). New features are added in each build but without an official help file it is not easy to follow changes. And I cannot visit the forum daily: https://cafetran.freshdesk.com/support/discussions

Well, CafeTran is powerful as regards using huge TMs. But I miss advanced options in file filters which are available in other CAT tools.

That is, although I appreciate Igor's work, in my opinion CafeTran is not the best alternative for DVX users.
Collapse

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Already using CafeTran? File filter options? Oct 17, 2018

Jean Dimitriadis wrote:

Merab, if you ever consider it as an option

Merab already lists CafeTran as one of his CAT tools, so perhaps he’s already familiar with this software?

Software Adobe Acrobat, CafeTran Espresso, DejaVu, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Office Pro, Microsoft Word, ABBYY Finereader 12 (OCR software), SDL TRADOS

Selcuk wrote:
But I miss advanced options in file filters which are available in other CAT tools.

It would be interesting to hear, what these options are.

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
file import options Oct 17, 2018

Hi Hans,

This is the Deja Vu forum, so I assume we are all familiar with the file import options available in DVX (e.g. ignore red text in Excel files, ignore hidden text in Word files, etc.). But here are two images for options available in Studio and MemoQ, please search google images for Wordfast and other CAT tools for different options.

studio
studio

memoq
memoq

Now, one can get lost in the settings of CafeTran, e.g. in Preferences > Memory, but obviously not when importing a file because there are (almost) no filter options.

Igor is a great developer but perhaps he should hire some people for the filters.

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Thanks! Oct 17, 2018

Hello Selcuk,

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:

This is the Deja Vu forum, so I assume we are all familiar with the file import options available in DVX (e.g. ignore red text in Excel files, ignore hidden text in Word files, etc.).

CafeTran Espresso 2019 has solutions for hiding text in MS Word and MS Excel documents.

But here are two images for options available in Studio and MemoQ

I wasn't aware of these. Thank you for pointing me in the right directions!

Of course it's always possible to use Studio and memoQ to create an XLIFF while using the advanced filter options, while translating the XLIFF in CafeTran Espresso 2019 .

Merab Dekano
Spain
Member (2014)
English to Spanish
+ ...
CafeTran - how do you deal with this Oct 17, 2018

Suppose you are out and have no internet connection (I never trust free wifi stuff, as I have a bunch of confidential documents sitting in my SSD).

I am a Proz Plus member and therefore can enjoy full features of CafeTRan without paying anything other than Proz Plus membership (which I do regardless).

However, the above is only true when I have internet connection, when CafeTran "detects" that I am a Plus member. This is a huge limitation. I can take my St
... See more
Suppose you are out and have no internet connection (I never trust free wifi stuff, as I have a bunch of confidential documents sitting in my SSD).

I am a Proz Plus member and therefore can enjoy full features of CafeTRan without paying anything other than Proz Plus membership (which I do regardless).

However, the above is only true when I have internet connection, when CafeTran "detects" that I am a Plus member. This is a huge limitation. I can take my Studio o DVX out of the reach of internet and they will still work. Not so CafeTran.

Does anybody have a solution for this?

Thanks and best regards
MD
Collapse

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:54
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
buy a regular CafeTran licence? Oct 17, 2018

Merab Dekano wrote:

However, the above is only true when I have internet connection, when CafeTran "detects" that I am a Plus member. This is a huge limitation. I can take my Studio o DVX out of the reach of internet and they will still work. Not so CafeTran.

Thanks and best regards
MD

Never really thought about that, but I suppose you could just buy a regular CafeTran licence, which is quite cheap.

Michael

Merab Dekano
Spain
Member (2014)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Thanks, but... Oct 17, 2018

Michael Beijer wrote:

Merab Dekano wrote:

Thanks and best regards
MD

Never really thought about that, but I suppose you could just buy a regular CafeTran licence, which is quite cheap.

Michael

Sure, not that it is not affordable, but wouldn't it be much easier and cheaper to check Plus membership period? Say:

I am a Plus member from xx-xx-xxxx till yy-yy-yyyy. When I log in with my ProZ credentials, CafeTran detects that my Plus membership expires on yy-yy-yyyy and it doesn't bother me nor does it prompt me to log in again, only when my Plus subscription expires.

Not sure if anybody though about it twice. It just sounds so common sense...

Jean Dimitriadis

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Are there any news about DVX4?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »