Max Hellwig  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 16:28
Member (2013)
English to German
+ ...
Mar 9, 2019

Hello everyone!

This is to warn you there is someone using the site's real time chat claiming to have a job for which they send files that contain malware. My antivirus software spotted it, so I'm okay, but I figured I'd better warn you.

Some details: They used the name harris edelman (clearly a non-native English speaker though) and offered a low volume medical project. They sent an archive supposedly containing the files to be translated, whereas it actually contained
... See more
Hello everyone!

This is to warn you there is someone using the site's real time chat claiming to have a job for which they send files that contain malware. My antivirus software spotted it, so I'm okay, but I figured I'd better warn you.

Some details: They used the name harris edelman (clearly a non-native English speaker though) and offered a low volume medical project. They sent an archive supposedly containing the files to be translated, whereas it actually contained an executable with a trojan horse.

I doubt it was a bot, the conversation was quite natural, despite some slight linguistic issues.
Be on the lookout, I imagine they would use different names and stories.
Collapse

Morano El-Kholy
Maja_K

Elif Baykara Narbay
Elif Baykara Narbay  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 18:28
German to Turkish
+ ...
Another one from a recent post Mar 9, 2019

https://www.proz.com/forum/scams/333184-trojan_via_proz_chat.html

Maja_K
Maja_K  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2013)
English to Macedonian
+ ...
Yep ... Mar 13, 2019

... I also got a message of this kind from the person "harris edelman" last Saturday, but immediately spotted the .exe file (the virus) that he tried to send ... so yeah, it does happen sometimes

Max Hellwig
Max Hellwig  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2013)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It seems to happen quite a bit... Mar 13, 2019

Have a look at the link Elif sent. Though proZ reacted now and made it impossible to send files

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Supposed direct client sending virus via real time chat

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »