advice on keyboards
Thread poster: EHI (X)
EHI (X)
EHI (X)
Local time: 20:46
May 15, 2008

I am thinking of buying an additional keyboard (still on laptop, but got additional screen) and was wondering if anybody could give me some advice on what I should look out for.

The ergonomic ones from Logitech or Mircrosoft look quite good, but I wonder how easy it is to use Trados shortcuts on them?
Any experiences?

Thanks.

awilliams
awilliams
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:46
Italian to English
+ ...
Seriously ergonomic keyboards May 15, 2008

Hi Lutz,
If you're serious about ergonomics why not try a Kinesis keyboard? Haven't used mine for the past month or so due to an elbow dislocation (somewhat ironic, really...), but I have one of these: Kinesis Advantage. Fairly expensive (what price health, though?) and takes a while to get used to but so good! You can also get pedals and exciting (read expensive?!) bits of kit to go with it, to
... See more
Hi Lutz,
If you're serious about ergonomics why not try a Kinesis keyboard? Haven't used mine for the past month or so due to an elbow dislocation (somewhat ironic, really...), but I have one of these: Kinesis Advantage. Fairly expensive (what price health, though?) and takes a while to get used to but so good! You can also get pedals and exciting (read expensive?!) bits of kit to go with it, too...

As for TRADOS shortcuts, I have "set/close next open/get" programmed as CTRL + Y, which works well for me on that keyboard. You can set the shortcuts to pretty much whatever you like, in any case.

Let us know how you get on,
Amy
Collapse

EHI (X)
EHI (X)
TOPIC STARTER
thanks May 15, 2008

As for TRADOS shortcuts, I have "set/close next open/get" programmed as CTRL + Y, which works well for me on that keyboard. You can set the shortcuts to pretty much whatever

Thanks for that Ami, I'll certainly look into Kinesis Advantage keyboards.

But how did you change your Trados shortcuts?
I didn't think that was possible.

awilliams
awilliams
United Kingdom
Italian to English
+ ...
past forum posts May 15, 2008

It may be dependent on the versions you have of Word (?) and/or TRADOS, but try these two past forums: Help: I disabled the Set/Close Next Open/Get shortcut (Trados) and Trados on laptop without num pad.
... See more
It may be dependent on the versions you have of Word (?) and/or TRADOS, but try these two past forums: Help: I disabled the Set/Close Next Open/Get shortcut (Trados) and Trados on laptop without num pad.
Best,
Amy
Collapse

Jim Tucker (X)
Jim Tucker (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Hungarian to English
+ ...
IBM model M May 15, 2008

The finest keyboards ever made were the Model M IBM keyboards of the 80s and 90s. They enjoy cult status, and many sites can tell you how to get hold of them (in addition to raving about them). Keyboards of this quality are no longer made since they would cost many hundreds of dollars to produce.

This site, for one collects and sells them

http://www.clickykeyboards.com/
... See more
The finest keyboards ever made were the Model M IBM keyboards of the 80s and 90s. They enjoy cult status, and many sites can tell you how to get hold of them (in addition to raving about them). Keyboards of this quality are no longer made since they would cost many hundreds of dollars to produce.

This site, for one collects and sells them

http://www.clickykeyboards.com/

as well as a little adapter (about $12) to make they keyboard USB compatible.

These keyboards will outlast every computer you ever buy in the future. They are designed to imitate the great IBM selectric typewriter keyboards - from the days before carpal tunnel syndrome (these keyboards require larger and stronger finger movements that minimise the chances of repetitive stress injury - carpal tunnel). Nothing made today can match this quality or durability.

True, they are very heavy - about 3 pounds.

There are keyboard remapping programs available to help you customise the layout if need be.
Collapse

Jaroslaw Michalak
Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
Go for the „feel” May 15, 2008

I would advise to actually try out the keyboard at a local shop before you buy it. The perception of tactile feedback differs from person to person, so that you may feel that the keys are „too soft” or „too hard”, which seriously impedes speed typing.

As for the shortucts, there are some programs to do that, as it was mentioned (one of the best, I think, is Autohotkey). Still, on a standard keyboard they require a combination of keys to be pressed, which is not too convenien
... See more
I would advise to actually try out the keyboard at a local shop before you buy it. The perception of tactile feedback differs from person to person, so that you may feel that the keys are „too soft” or „too hard”, which seriously impedes speed typing.

As for the shortucts, there are some programs to do that, as it was mentioned (one of the best, I think, is Autohotkey). Still, on a standard keyboard they require a combination of keys to be pressed, which is not too convenient. That is why you might also try out some gaming keyboards or accessories, which allow you to assign even complicated shortcuts to one button. One example might be Logitec G11 keyboard, where you have additional keys nicely laid out to the left:

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/gaming/pc_gaming/mice_keyboards/devices/285&cl=us,en
Collapse

Erik Hansson
Erik Hansson  Identity Verified
Germany
Swedish
+ ...
Be careful about the layout May 15, 2008

As I understand that you have been using Trados for a while, be careful when choosing your keyboard. For many years, the six keys Insert, Pos. 1, Pg Up (on the upper row), Del, End, Pg Down (on the lower row) were situated as a block to the right of the keyboard.

There are however now keyboards which don't have this 6-key-layout, instead the keys are placed vertically and there is a double sized key for Delete, which means that another key is another place on the keyboard. I once b
... See more
As I understand that you have been using Trados for a while, be careful when choosing your keyboard. For many years, the six keys Insert, Pos. 1, Pg Up (on the upper row), Del, End, Pg Down (on the lower row) were situated as a block to the right of the keyboard.

There are however now keyboards which don't have this 6-key-layout, instead the keys are placed vertically and there is a double sized key for Delete, which means that another key is another place on the keyboard. I once bought a keyboard of this type and almost went crazy as I had to watch out in every action I did with Trados.

Quickly changed back to the old keyboard

[Redigerad 2008-05-15 13:05]
Collapse

Paula James
Paula James  Identity Verified
Spain
French to English
+ ...
takes getting used to May 15, 2008

I recently bought an Microsoft ergonomic keyboard, and I'm finding it difficult to get used to. I have no doubt it's more comfortable in the long run, but in the meantime, although the layout is the same, the curved design means things are in slightly different places, so I make a lot of typos. I'm not really using it for much translation at the moment, it's just too slow - I'm practising for short periods at a time, in the hope it will get easier.

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 May 15, 2008

I use Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000. I got used to it almost immediately. It is very comfortable, my wrists don't hurt anymore and there are no problems with Trados (or any other) shortcuts. It also has the traditional 6-key layout that Eric mentioned, which was very important for me.

Be careful, there is an OEM version with a different Enter key.

Trinidad Clares Flores
Trinidad Clares Flores  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
+ ...
Try the Logitech Alto May 16, 2008

Hi Lutz,

I would recommend the Logitech Alto without a doubt.

It's a combined stand and keyboard which makes it perfect for your laptop, as it raises the laptop screen to the right height for your eyes and it has a full keyboard.

Although it's not an ergonomic keyboard, it's very comfortable to use and can also be tilted for a more comfortable position.

Regards,

Trini

RNAtranslator
RNAtranslator  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Have a look at this ergonomic keyboard May 27, 2008

For me, forced pronation is the worst, and Microsoft's and similar ones do not solve the problem.

If I could afford it, I would buy this one: http://safetype.com/

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

advice on keyboards

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »