Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
22" or a bigger TFT monitor? Any advantages?
Thread poster: MariusV
MariusV
MariusV  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 21:20
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
Jul 22, 2008

Was at a computer shop and saw a big TFT monitor (22" or 24") in which there is enough "place" for 2 A4 format real size pages. I am planning to change all hardware soon and that idea of having 2 A4 pages in the minotor at a go appeared really attractive to me compared to 17" or 19" monitor (I think it shall be very convenient esp. for some proofing or editing work when you can see/edit 2 pages instead of 1 in the screen). Does anyone have and use 22"+ monitors? Do you think it would be resonabl... See more
Was at a computer shop and saw a big TFT monitor (22" or 24") in which there is enough "place" for 2 A4 format real size pages. I am planning to change all hardware soon and that idea of having 2 A4 pages in the minotor at a go appeared really attractive to me compared to 17" or 19" monitor (I think it shall be very convenient esp. for some proofing or editing work when you can see/edit 2 pages instead of 1 in the screen). Does anyone have and use 22"+ monitors? Do you think it would be resonable to pay that extra cost?

[Edited at 2008-07-22 01:47]
Collapse

ACLserv (X)
ACLserv (X)
Canada
Local time: 11:20
English
imo 22" is to big for comfort Jul 22, 2008

Rather than 1 x 22" or 24" monitor I would choose 2 x 19" tilted vertically.

While they look nice on display, 22"/24" is just too big for a single screen for desktop use. We actually had some people at work who were issued 22" and returned them due to eye strain.

I guess on a 22" in 1680x1050 in full screen any line of text is going to look unnaturally long.

Aside from multimedia use, I can't think of any good reason to buy a 22" or 24".

From a
... See more
Rather than 1 x 22" or 24" monitor I would choose 2 x 19" tilted vertically.

While they look nice on display, 22"/24" is just too big for a single screen for desktop use. We actually had some people at work who were issued 22" and returned them due to eye strain.

I guess on a 22" in 1680x1050 in full screen any line of text is going to look unnaturally long.

Aside from multimedia use, I can't think of any good reason to buy a 22" or 24".

From a usability perspective 2 x 19" (or even 2 x 17") tilted vertical provide more flexibility and better reading comfort. Not to mention it also makes window positioning easier.
And if one of the monitor fail you will still have one left
Collapse

Andrzej Mierzejewski
Andrzej Mierzejewski  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 20:20
Polish to English
+ ...
My experience is fully positive Jul 22, 2008

I've had a 22" monitor for half a year now. The best thing is that I can keep as many as four programs open in the display at a time, say: 2 x Word (one with source text, the other with target text), 2 x Internet browser (one with ProZ, the other with an on-line dictionary).
No eye or neck strain - you can keep a minimum distance of some 80 cm from the display, and everything is legible (using the 'Increase font size' function in Internet browsers if necessary to match your eyes).
... See more
I've had a 22" monitor for half a year now. The best thing is that I can keep as many as four programs open in the display at a time, say: 2 x Word (one with source text, the other with target text), 2 x Internet browser (one with ProZ, the other with an on-line dictionary).
No eye or neck strain - you can keep a minimum distance of some 80 cm from the display, and everything is legible (using the 'Increase font size' function in Internet browsers if necessary to match your eyes).
And in terms of price, a single 22" wide-aspect monitor is cheaper than two 19" standard-aspect monitors.

Best regards

AM
Collapse

Gillian Scheibelein
Gillian Scheibelein  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Recommend Jul 22, 2008

Hi Marius,
I've been using a 22" wide screen + a standard 17" monitor for over a year. The 22" is my main screen. I can get 2 Word documents with Ariel 12 and 100% zoom side-by-side on the screen. In combination with Word's synchronise windows feature, this is a real boon.

As for the previous poster's comment about eyestrain: I aways set up my documents so that I never have to scan further than about 18 cms at most (in Word usually 80-90% zoom, Ariel 12) whatever size screen I
... See more
Hi Marius,
I've been using a 22" wide screen + a standard 17" monitor for over a year. The 22" is my main screen. I can get 2 Word documents with Ariel 12 and 100% zoom side-by-side on the screen. In combination with Word's synchronise windows feature, this is a real boon.

As for the previous poster's comment about eyestrain: I aways set up my documents so that I never have to scan further than about 18 cms at most (in Word usually 80-90% zoom, Ariel 12) whatever size screen I'm using. This means I'm only using half the screen for the word doc leaving the second half for something worthwhile, i.e. the PDF original/dictionary or even Trados Workbench etc. My Internet Explorer window is also only about half-screen as well.
The leftover space on my old 19" screen was not enough to be useful. I use Transit and the 22" is perfect as half the screen is now my dictionary window and I don't need to scroll in it any more, which saves a tremendous amount of time (and time is money after all).

I can definately recommend a 22" (or even 24" if you have space) and they are now reasonably priced. I wouldn't hestitate!

Cheers
Jill
Collapse

Boris Kimel
Boris Kimel  Identity Verified
Israel
English to Russian
+ ...
24 is wonderful Jul 22, 2008

I have got a 24 inch TFT some 2 years ago. Needed to translate plenty of AutoCAD drawings - delicious. This size is great for watching movies too!

Peter Linton (X)
Peter Linton (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:20
Swedish to English
+ ...
Dual 24" screens Jul 22, 2008

Last year I bought two 24" screens for my PC. Each screen has a resolution of 1920 x 1200. Each screen can also be put into portrait mode, but I haven't found it necessary, because in landscape mode I can have 2 A4 pages open side by side on each screen, and each page is slightly larger than the paper version. So it is easy to read, without eye strain.

This setup gives me in a desktop of more than one metre, and allows me to have several applications open and visible, without hav
... See more
Last year I bought two 24" screens for my PC. Each screen has a resolution of 1920 x 1200. Each screen can also be put into portrait mode, but I haven't found it necessary, because in landscape mode I can have 2 A4 pages open side by side on each screen, and each page is slightly larger than the paper version. So it is easy to read, without eye strain.

This setup gives me in a desktop of more than one metre, and allows me to have several applications open and visible, without having to switch between them. A real productivity boost.

Next time I buy new screens I might buy three or four of them. Hopefully by then 30" screens will become more common.
Collapse

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
Go for it Jul 22, 2008

I have a 24" Dell monitor and it's great. The biggest advantage is that you don't have to switch between several windows (for example TagEditor, concordance, source in PDF and a dictionary). No eye strain, if you set up your workplace ergonomically.

Of course, the screen is too wide for a single document or some web sites with unlimited width (such as ProZ forums). The solution is simple - resize Word or your browser.

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
20" is just about enough Jul 22, 2008

20" widescreen monitors come in 1680*1050, and 1680 is wide enough for two documents side by side. (I know, that's what I have as my big display alongside the 14" of the laptop.)
But then with monitors, bigger is always better, be it in sheer size or pixel count.
I find text on the 20" to be too small sometimes, even though my face is less than 3 feet from the screen... so a 22" with the same resolution would be better.

I'm a huge fan of dual monitor systems (I could e
... See more
20" widescreen monitors come in 1680*1050, and 1680 is wide enough for two documents side by side. (I know, that's what I have as my big display alongside the 14" of the laptop.)
But then with monitors, bigger is always better, be it in sheer size or pixel count.
I find text on the 20" to be too small sometimes, even though my face is less than 3 feet from the screen... so a 22" with the same resolution would be better.

I'm a huge fan of dual monitor systems (I could even see myself using 3 at some point). 2 20" monitors or even smaller ones are definitely better than a single 24" to me. You can just maximize windows and not worry about resizing them to make them fit on the same screen, and both windows have normal proportions.

How could 22" be too big for comfort? Come on now, that's just silly... Are people bothered by large sized text? (Usually 22" is the same res as 20" with larger pixels.)
Collapse

MariusV
Lithuania
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
:) Jul 22, 2008

FarkasAndras wrote:

How could 22" be too big for comfort? Come on now, that's just silly... Are people bothered by large sized text? (Usually 22" is the same res as 20" with larger pixels.)

Well, can agree with you, but just wondered about the possibility of seeing 2 A4 pages at a go.

MariusV
Lithuania
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
more... Jul 22, 2008

Thanks, people, for your opinions.

I would like to ask you more - what would you think about the following hardware configuration:

1) a small, lightweight notebook (say ~1,5 kg) - some 13" (to be able to carry with me when I need to be on the move, i.e. not at my working place, and not too small to be able to use its keyboard conveniently);

2) the notebook is attached to a 22"-24" monitor on the table for working convenience - a large screen;

... See more
Thanks, people, for your opinions.

I would like to ask you more - what would you think about the following hardware configuration:

1) a small, lightweight notebook (say ~1,5 kg) - some 13" (to be able to carry with me when I need to be on the move, i.e. not at my working place, and not too small to be able to use its keyboard conveniently);

2) the notebook is attached to a 22"-24" monitor on the table for working convenience - a large screen;

3) the notebook should be better instead of that usual PC BOX that is huge, noisy enough (just compare to the sound of the notebook), let alone it would save in case electricity might go down (a well charged notebook would last at least 3 hours);

4) a smart phone - like BlackBerry or HTC - to be used in "emergency cases" if the "usual" Internet goes down (and yes, it happens quite often and in the worst situations) - will be no need to buy a mobile internet modem - all can be done via that mobile...

5) last convenience - say I want to leave, I can take my notebook with me (if I will need to work at some other place), or I can simply take that smart phone if I only need to check my email to know what's going on with my work and offers.

6) last - a removable HDD or several removable HDDs to store info - like one for most important files like TMs or, in general, files by "theme" - I think it would be really convenient as now the PC is full of everything - mp3s, translation projects, and so on...

7) finally, a multifunctional printer (scanner, fax machine) - quite a big piece, but it is only one piece and it should save a lot of space on the table (much better than several devices) ??

What do you think?
Collapse

Sylvie Pilon (X)
Sylvie Pilon (X)  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 14:20
English to French
Increased Monitor Size = Higher Worker Productivity, Study Finds Jul 22, 2008

Monitor maker NEC recently commissioned a study which compared the productivity using widescreen displays vs. single/dual standard size displays. Here is a link to an unofficial press release from NEC:
http://www.imaging-resource.com/NEWS/1205422252.html

In short, the results were as follows (as reported by Digital Photo Newsletter Vol 10, No 6):

Ninety
... See more
Monitor maker NEC recently commissioned a study which compared the productivity using widescreen displays vs. single/dual standard size displays. Here is a link to an unofficial press release from NEC:
http://www.imaging-resource.com/NEWS/1205422252.html

In short, the results were as follows (as reported by Digital Photo Newsletter Vol 10, No 6):

Ninety-six people were assigned to either a single 20-inch monitor (1600x1200), a dual 20-inch monitor configuration or either a 24-inch widescreen display (1920x1200) or a 26-inch widescreen display (1900x1200). Each person was randomly assigned both text and spreadsheet editing tasks, which were timed and measured for performance.

The study concluded:

- More screen space increases productivity up to a certain point (at which large screens are less productive).

- Where multiple windows are required, standard 17-inch monitors and smaller are much less productive than the larger monitors.

- Large widescreen monitors can be as effective and even more productive than dual screen monitors, but both are more effective than smaller, single screen monitors.

Among the more intriguing findings were:

- A 20-inch standard format monitor alone returned an 18 percent increase in productivity over a smaller monitor and even scored better than dual smaller monitors.

- Users preferred widescreen and dual monitor setups over single standard format monitors because they're easier to use, more effective, fast and have more viewable space. Widescreen monitors were preferred over dual screen setups because dual monitors "could be closer" and they preferred the lack of "a bezel break."

- Widescreens scored better on text editing. For spreadsheet editing, however, dual 20-inch monitors slightly outperformed the 24-inch widescreen.

- The user's experience was found to be a factor as well, with less experienced users performing better on widescreens. The study concluded that widescreen and dual monitor setups can reduce the productivity gap between experienced and new users.

Hope this helps!
Sylvie
Collapse

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
misc Jul 22, 2008

Next time I buy new screens I might buy three or four of them. Hopefully by then 30" screens will become more common.

Have fun setting up a 4-screen system:) That will involve 2 graphic cards at least and significant potential for headaches.

As to your planned office setup, Marius, it's pretty much what a standard modern office should look like, I think. A desktop offers a better price/performance ratio, easier upgrades and maybe longer lifespan than a laptop but being able to take your work with you at any time anywhere is a big plus, I'd think.

I'm planning to buy a smartphone within half a year myself, too. I'd lie if I said it's strictly for work, but it will be used for work occasionally:)

Don't know about combo scanner/copier etc. machines, but they should be fine for all I know.

Egidijus Slepetys
Egidijus Slepetys  Identity Verified
German to Lithuanian
22" Jul 22, 2008

I think, a 22" monitor is the right choice today (bigger monitors are in comparison quite expensive).

I think, a Laptop with a 13" monitor is to small for a translator. When translating, we have to do with several windows (for source and target texts or Trados Workbench etc.).

Laptop is a great thing today, they are very powerful and can replace desktop-PS's. I would advice to by a good one (~1000 EUR in Lithuania).

Best regards,
Egidijus

Marcelo Silveyra
Marcelo Silveyra
United States
Local time: 11:20
Member (2007)
German to English
+ ...
Setup suggestions Jul 22, 2008

I would recommend getting both a desktop computer (if you were planning on upgrading) and a laptop. This way, if the desktop computer fails for any reason, you have a handy backup at home. Buying and carrying two laptops at the same time is pretty ridiculous, so if your laptop ever fails while on the move, there's not much you can do about it, but it's definitely worth having one for purposes of mobility, especially if you travel quite a bit and work while traveling. FYI, this saved my prover... See more
I would recommend getting both a desktop computer (if you were planning on upgrading) and a laptop. This way, if the desktop computer fails for any reason, you have a handy backup at home. Buying and carrying two laptops at the same time is pretty ridiculous, so if your laptop ever fails while on the move, there's not much you can do about it, but it's definitely worth having one for purposes of mobility, especially if you travel quite a bit and work while traveling. FYI, this saved my proverbial rump last week when I had serious problems with my main work computer - thanks to my backup computer and to my habit of doing backups on a regular basis, I didn't lose any work and was able to get back to work relatively quickly. Backing up information is a must, but having a backup system is (in my opinion) just as important. Moreover, you can get a relatively quiet desktop computer if it comes with the right cooling solution, but that might be more expensive and, unless you know how to/are interested in learning how to build your own system, might not be such a great idea (although it saves tons of money).

If you're afraid of power failures and other critical problems (e.g., switching transients, voltage spikes, etc.), you can get a UPS (uninterruptible power supply). The small ones are relatively affordable and will give you more than enough time to transfer whatever you need to your backup system.

I can't comment on the BlackBerry because I treasure my peace when I'm not working (i.e., I'm not available 24/7, nor would I want to kill myself by being available 24/7), but it sounds like a good idea. I simply walk to the local Starbucks whenever my connection dies on me (that makes it sound like it happens all the time, but it actually doesn't), but that's not exactly an option for everyone.

The multifunctional printer sounds like a good idea - just don't skimp too much on the price so that it doesn't die after a year of use.

Finally, and if you don't have one (I understood that you didn't from your post), get an external hard drive for backup purposes ASAP. This should be your first priority. I cannot emphasize this enough: If you don't do regular backups, there will be nothing more frustrating than losing years' worth of work due to a dying hard drive.
Collapse

MariusV
Lithuania
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Desktop update Jul 22, 2008

Marcelo Silveyra wrote:

I would recommend getting both a desktop computer (if you were planning on upgrading) and a laptop. This way, if the desktop computer fails for any reason, you have a handy backup at home. Buying and carrying two laptops at the same time is pretty ridiculous, so if your laptop ever fails while on the move, there's not much you can do about it, but it's definitely worth having one for purposes of mobility, especially if you travel quite a bit and work while traveling. FYI, this saved my proverbial rump last week when I had serious problems with my main work computer - thanks to my backup computer and to my habit of doing backups on a regular basis, I didn't lose any work and was able to get back to work relatively quickly. Backing up information is a must, but having a backup system is (in my opinion) just as important. Moreover, you can get a relatively quiet desktop computer if it comes with the right cooling solution, but that might be more expensive and, unless you know how to/are interested in learning how to build your own system, might not be such a great idea (although it saves tons of money).

If you're afraid of power failures and other critical problems (e.g., switching transients, voltage spikes, etc.), you can get a UPS (uninterruptible power supply). The small ones are relatively affordable and will give you more than enough time to transfer whatever you need to your backup system.

I can't comment on the BlackBerry because I treasure my peace when I'm not working (i.e., I'm not available 24/7, nor would I want to kill myself by being available 24/7), but it sounds like a good idea. I simply walk to the local Starbucks whenever my connection dies on me (that makes it sound like it happens all the time, but it actually doesn't), but that's not exactly an option for everyone.

The multifunctional printer sounds like a good idea - just don't skimp too much on the price so that it doesn't die after a year of use.

Finally, and if you don't have one (I understood that you didn't from your post), get an external hard drive for backup purposes ASAP. This should be your first priority. I cannot emphasize this enough: If you don't do regular backups, there will be nothing more frustrating than losing years' worth of work due to a dying hard drive.

Well, about desktops:

1) bought mine 3 years ago - with plans to upgrade in 1-2 years, but simply all worked well till now and did not bother about that; when I tried to decide whether to upgrade it or not, one thing is really good - the parts that were really expensive 3 years ago now costs cents, BUT there is a problem to find those (those are not sold at new computer shops and have to be found already like antiques

2) I hate the cooler noise of the desktop - changed it many times and paid quite a lot for one of the most expensive, BUT it still makes noise. During the daytime it is almost "silent", but in the evening I feel like I am sitting in a kind of "vibration zone"...

3) Really agree with Egidijus. 13" are more expensive compared to, say, 17" with the usual desktop keyboard, and the best solution could be 15,4". 17"s are big and heavy, and yes, 13" can be too small, incl. keyboard (let alone if one is used to the usual desktop keyboard)...

"- Widescreens scored better on text editing. For spreadsheet editing, however, dual 20-inch monitors slightly outperformed the 24-inch widescreen." - REALLY INTERESTING. Thanks

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

22" or a bigger TFT monitor? Any advantages?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »