Bluetooth--can it be used with more than one app?
Thread poster: Patricia Rosas
Patricia Rosas
Patricia Rosas  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:28
Spanish to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Aug 21, 2008

Hi, everyone:

I just got the DNS upgrade and a bluetooth headset to go with it. The bluetooth instructions were really minimal. It seems that in order to use this headset, you must disconnect other sound systems (for example, my on-monitor speakers only work when the USB connector is removed from the computer and I can no longer run my Cepstral voices using the MS text-to-voice program).

Does anyone know if I can use bluetooth headset when I talk using Skype? I get alm
... See more
Hi, everyone:

I just got the DNS upgrade and a bluetooth headset to go with it. The bluetooth instructions were really minimal. It seems that in order to use this headset, you must disconnect other sound systems (for example, my on-monitor speakers only work when the USB connector is removed from the computer and I can no longer run my Cepstral voices using the MS text-to-voice program).

Does anyone know if I can use bluetooth headset when I talk using Skype? I get almost 0 phone calls via Skype, but still, what would I do if a call came in? I wouldn't have time reconfigure everything and get my old headset out of the drawer.

Along the same lines, and although I'm not planning to do this, is it necessary to buy another bluetooth to pair with the cell phone exclusively?

Thanks!
Patricia
Collapse

Susana Alves
Susana Alves  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 15:28
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Yes. Aug 21, 2008

I have a bluetooth headseat that I use both with the computer and with the cell phone. Not at the same time though. I have made calls using IMs (not skype, but others) without any problems. I do suggest however, that you use the Skype test call function to make sure everything is in working order before you try to use it.

-Susana

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 10:28
Spanish
+ ...
Yes, so don't have to buy more than one Aug 22, 2008

But don't ask me exactly how to pair a BT headset because, it gets a bit confusing. My computer has three sound settings: Bluetooth stereo (mic disabled), Bluetooth hands-free (non-stereo, mic enabled) and Realtek (which is the standard speaker or wired headset). Basically, once you pair your Bluetooth headset with several devices and several applications, it will "know" when to start pairing and where to. That's the hardest part. But once you got it paired, you're almost set.

I gue
... See more
But don't ask me exactly how to pair a BT headset because, it gets a bit confusing. My computer has three sound settings: Bluetooth stereo (mic disabled), Bluetooth hands-free (non-stereo, mic enabled) and Realtek (which is the standard speaker or wired headset). Basically, once you pair your Bluetooth headset with several devices and several applications, it will "know" when to start pairing and where to. That's the hardest part. But once you got it paired, you're almost set.

I guess that also depends on the headset. For instance, I have a stereo headset and when I turn it on, it's immediately recognized by Skype (as a non-stereo hands-free headset). When I hang up, somehow the stereo mode is activated again and I can hear music through both channels from my computer. When I turn the Bluetooth headset off, the sound settings are automatically set as Realtek and the sound comes out of the speakers or a wired headset. It kinda does the same thing when I turn on the stereo or hands-free feature of my phone. The headset somehow "knows" what to do. But if you have a non-stereo BT headset, I guess you wouldn't have to worry about this.

With Skype, you'd need the Bluetooth plug-in, which in theory should be downloaded and installed when Skype is installed or upgraded, but I had to install Skype twice to get that plug-in. The plugin will also change Skype's own settings to the Bluetooth headset and the correct BT mode.

Both DNS and skype need to use the BT headset in 'hands-free' mode, so the mic is enabled. But since DNS doesn't automatically do anything, like Skype does with the plug-in, sometimes the settings should be set manually from the Sound settings.

I hope I didn't confuse you too much.

Cheers,

Claudia
Collapse

Patricia Rosas
Patricia Rosas  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:28
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
thanks, Claudia! Aug 22, 2008

Claudia,

Thank you for the detailed explanation. I'm going to have to read it again--it is a bit complicated! But at least I won't be so afraid of experimenting to see what happens when I switch the BT to another appl.

I appreciate that you took the time to respond to my question!
Patricia

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Bluetooth--can it be used with more than one app?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »