High-definition digital screens (is the "home office" a thing of the past?)
Thread poster: Patricia Rosas
Patricia Rosas
Patricia Rosas  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:44
Spanish to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Sep 11, 2008

Hi, everyone!

In the US in February, the country is going to high-definition digital television broadcasting. I don't watch TV, so the new flat-panel hi-def televisions sets were not something I was paying any attention to until one day I wondered ...

Is it true that those screens can be used as computer monitors?

If so, I thought that I'd wait until late next year, when the "rush" to get these new TVs is over, and get a screen that hangs on a wall. I'm do
... See more
Hi, everyone!

In the US in February, the country is going to high-definition digital television broadcasting. I don't watch TV, so the new flat-panel hi-def televisions sets were not something I was paying any attention to until one day I wondered ...

Is it true that those screens can be used as computer monitors?

If so, I thought that I'd wait until late next year, when the "rush" to get these new TVs is over, and get a screen that hangs on a wall. I'm doing almost all of my translations using Dragon, so as I see it, I could sit in the room with the screen and dictate away (even if my computer was in another room).

Am I dreaming? If not, I could rearrange the layout of my house!

The reason I'm asking today about this is that I've got an emergency (about which I'll post a different question under "Software" once I've finished this): a large project in which I have to translate from .pdfs into a Word file. When I set the .pdf at a size large enough to let me see what is written in it, it takes up most of the screen, leaving no space for the Word file.

I'm considering running out and buying ... a laptop? a second monitor? a hi-def TV (with the screen being the key component)?

I'd appreciate hearing any thoughts about this ...

Patricia
Collapse

Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 14:44
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Why do you have a .pdf AND a word file on the screen? Sep 11, 2008

Just curious, Patricia, but why don't you convert the .pdf to a Word document and then work with only a word document on the screen?

Patricia Rosas
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
just bought ABBYY Fine Reader Sep 11, 2008

You are so right, Astrid. I just didn't think about converting because in the past, it seemed like a hassle, but on the recommendation of colleagues (in my other thread), I just bought ABBYY and it works like a dream.

fwiw I converted the text to an Excel file, and am waiting to hear from my clients if they will be able to use that (with the source in col A and the translation in col B). If not, I'll use a Word conversion.

Enjoy your day (or evening as I guess it mus
... See more
You are so right, Astrid. I just didn't think about converting because in the past, it seemed like a hassle, but on the recommendation of colleagues (in my other thread), I just bought ABBYY and it works like a dream.

fwiw I converted the text to an Excel file, and am waiting to hear from my clients if they will be able to use that (with the source in col A and the translation in col B). If not, I'll use a Word conversion.

Enjoy your day (or evening as I guess it must be there now)!

Patricia
Collapse

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:44
German to English
HD TV very expensive Sep 11, 2008

High-definition TV monitors are still quite expensive; you'll do better with a second monitor for your computer. But you'll also need a dual-head video card for your desktop computer, if your present video card has only a single output. Many, if not most cards produced in the past few years have dual outputs, so if you've bought your computer in the past 2-3 years, it's possible that you won't need a new video card. It's easy to check this: look at the back of the computer and if there's a secon... See more
High-definition TV monitors are still quite expensive; you'll do better with a second monitor for your computer. But you'll also need a dual-head video card for your desktop computer, if your present video card has only a single output. Many, if not most cards produced in the past few years have dual outputs, so if you've bought your computer in the past 2-3 years, it's possible that you won't need a new video card. It's easy to check this: look at the back of the computer and if there's a second connector next to where your current monitor is plugged in, you're good to go.Collapse

Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Sounds like the best thing you ever did! Sep 11, 2008

Hi Patricia,

You will never look back after buying Abbyy Fine Reader. I must admit, I am usually the last person to know about what technical possibilities exist these days, but I was kindly introduced to Abbyy in the months before I left my old job to become self-employed, by the computer men that the firm employed. Otherwise I dare say it would also have taken me a long time to find out about it. It really is great! I always keep up to date with the latest version of it.
... See more
Hi Patricia,

You will never look back after buying Abbyy Fine Reader. I must admit, I am usually the last person to know about what technical possibilities exist these days, but I was kindly introduced to Abbyy in the months before I left my old job to become self-employed, by the computer men that the firm employed. Otherwise I dare say it would also have taken me a long time to find out about it. It really is great! I always keep up to date with the latest version of it.

Have a good evening too!

Astrid
Collapse

RieM
RieM  Identity Verified
United States
English to Japanese
+ ...
I've been thinking about it... Sep 12, 2008

Hi Patricia,

Though I haven't done any research yet, I've been thinking abount plugging a HDTV to a computer, and hang that on the wall. Yes, it is possible but you probably have to check the video signal/connector compatibility and resoluton, and the information should be within your reach. I will start shopping around after Feb next year, when the price of the HDTV will probably go down. Right now I have two Flatpanels, two laptops and my desks are full of clutter...

... See more
Hi Patricia,

Though I haven't done any research yet, I've been thinking abount plugging a HDTV to a computer, and hang that on the wall. Yes, it is possible but you probably have to check the video signal/connector compatibility and resoluton, and the information should be within your reach. I will start shopping around after Feb next year, when the price of the HDTV will probably go down. Right now I have two Flatpanels, two laptops and my desks are full of clutter...

Though, it makes me chuckle just imagining a full text on a 42-inch screen I will probably get something like 26 inches.

Rie
Collapse

Patricia Rosas
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
yippee! Sep 12, 2008

Rie Matsuda wrote:

Though, it makes me chuckle just imagining a full text on a 42-inch screen I will probably get something like 26 inches.

Rie

Rie,

I'm thrilled to know that I wasn't just imagining this and that others are considering it, too.

Like you, I wouldn't want a 42 inch screen, but I think that 30" might be wise.

I never watch TV, but I do rent videos, and currently, the TV/VCR are in a guest room. What I plan to do is convert my dining room into a combination office/TV-viewing space. I could put the dining table in what is now the office, since it is almost never used. (Friends eat on my back porch, and I usually eat standing up!)

I also agree that waiting until March or even later is the ideal scenario since I'm sure prices will come down.

Thank you for taking the time to respond!
Patricia

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
I tried that stunt and going back.. Sep 12, 2008

Hi! I am getting ever mobile. Two Dell laptops 17 " screen and options to connect a larger external monitor (second one) and keyboard. 4 GB RAM does it all and an in-built power backup at 3 hours. I think it is good option for many on the move. BR Brandis

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
The transition is not to high-definition, but DTV Sep 13, 2008

Just a minor correction, to make sure no misunderstandings are propagated through the forums.

Patricia Rosas wrote:
In the US in February, the country is going to high-definition digital television broadcasting.

"No. It is important to understand that the DTV transition is a transition from analog broadcasting to digital broadcasting. It is not a transition from analog broadcasting to High Definition broadcasting."...
"Digital broadcast television includes Standard Definition (SD) and High Definition (HD) formats."

http://www.dtv.gov/consumercorner.html

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
If all you want is a bigger view... Sep 13, 2008

Patricia Rosas wrote:
The reason I'm asking today about this is that I've got an emergency (about which I'll post a different question under "Software" once I've finished this): a large project in which I have to translate from .pdfs into a Word file. When I set the .pdf at a size large enough to let me see what is written in it, it takes up most of the screen, leaving no space for the Word file.

It seems to me that you're just looking for a bigger view. So here's a money saving tip: get an overhead projector. Its far more portable than a hidev television, and the size of the "screen" is entirely up to you.

And when the warm summer nights arrive, take it outside and work in the garden on your laptop, with the projector projecting against your outside wall...

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
2 monitors Sep 13, 2008

TVs are not suitable to be computer monitors. Computer monitors are.
Just get a second screen. even TWO good 24" monitors are probably cheaper than a good gigaTV.
Sitting away from your computer sounds like a terrible idea. Keyboard, mouse, CD tray etc.

Patricia Rosas
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
what keyboard? Sep 13, 2008

FarkasAndras wrote:

TVs are not suitable to be computer monitors. Computer monitors are.
Just get a second screen. even TWO good 24" monitors are probably cheaper than a good gigaTV.
Sitting away from your computer sounds like a terrible idea. Keyboard, mouse, CD tray etc.

Farkas,

Although I'm typing this, I dictate all my translations, so the keyboard is in the way more often than not. I checked into this after people responded positively and from what I see on the Internet, the HDTVs do work well as monitors.

I also don't use the CD-Rom very often any more--flash memories store so much more and copy things faster.

But anyway, thanks for sharing your opinion!
Patricia

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

High-definition digital screens (is the "home office" a thing of the past?)

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »