Thread poster: Joanne Parker
Joanne Parker
Joanne Parker  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:17
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Aug 10, 2003

My Dell PC has 4 USB ports, but only one of them will recognise my ADSL modem when I attach it.

I know that my modem worked on at least one of them before, but suddenly stopped working and I had to switch to a different USB port.

So potentially, if this happens to the last remaining USB port that does still recognise the modem, then I will have a big problem.

I am running Windows 2000. According to the System option in the Control Panel, all other 3 USB po
... See more
My Dell PC has 4 USB ports, but only one of them will recognise my ADSL modem when I attach it.

I know that my modem worked on at least one of them before, but suddenly stopped working and I had to switch to a different USB port.

So potentially, if this happens to the last remaining USB port that does still recognise the modem, then I will have a big problem.

I am running Windows 2000. According to the System option in the Control Panel, all other 3 USB ports are working properly. Indeed, if I connect any other USB device (such as my memory key) to them, they work perfectly.

Does anyone have an idea why this might be and what I can do?

Thanks,

Joanne

[Edited at 2003-08-10 21:13]
Collapse

Ramon Somoza
Ramon Somoza  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 11:17
Dutch to Spanish
+ ...
Same thing happened to me - try this... Aug 10, 2003

Hello, Joanne
I have a Compaq laptop with 3 USB ports & experienced the same problem when I got my ADSL. Though I run XP, the problem is probably the same.

My understanding is that Windows is so stupid that it does *not* recognise the ADSL modem if you change USB ports.

What I did is, each time I plugged the modem into the wrong USB port, I asked Windows to search for new hardware - it then detected the modem, installed the driver & from then on I could use it als
... See more
Hello, Joanne
I have a Compaq laptop with 3 USB ports & experienced the same problem when I got my ADSL. Though I run XP, the problem is probably the same.

My understanding is that Windows is so stupid that it does *not* recognise the ADSL modem if you change USB ports.

What I did is, each time I plugged the modem into the wrong USB port, I asked Windows to search for new hardware - it then detected the modem, installed the driver & from then on I could use it also on the new port.

I suggest to plug the modem subsequently into the four ports, ask every time for the recognition of new hardware and after it has finished go to the next port. Once you have worked through the four ports, it should be irrelevant where you plug it in... at least my ADSL connection does not care any longer about it!

[Edited at 2003-08-10 23:29]
Collapse

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
get a USB hub for the ADSL modem Aug 11, 2003

A technical 0000, I shall try nonetheless to explain a warning given here by a computer shop. The ADSL modems apparently can cause serious damage to the computer power supply and ultimately the motherboard. It is advisable to use them by plugging them into a USB hub that plugs into an electrical outlet (and so does not get its power directly from the computer). The damage comes when the modems are plugged directly into the computer and the computer is their power source. Seems the modems vary th... See more
A technical 0000, I shall try nonetheless to explain a warning given here by a computer shop. The ADSL modems apparently can cause serious damage to the computer power supply and ultimately the motherboard. It is advisable to use them by plugging them into a USB hub that plugs into an electrical outlet (and so does not get its power directly from the computer). The damage comes when the modems are plugged directly into the computer and the computer is their power source. Seems the modems vary the amount of power they take from the computer and this ultimately causes the damage. This results in the necessity to get a new power supply and/or a new motherboard.

[Edited at 2003-08-11 08:22]
Collapse

achisholm
achisholm
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:17
Italian to English
+ ...
Similar experience- different hardware. Aug 11, 2003

Based on what another posting has said, I believe the problem may be of a quite generic type for Windows 200/XP.

I had a similar experience with USB (and PCMCIA) wireless network adapters. If I changed USB port (or PC card slot) the computer would then go through the "new hardware" routine and reinstall the drivers all over again. Once this had been done for all options however, it was fine.

Incidentally, I now connect almost all my USB devices through a minihub, and ha
... See more
Based on what another posting has said, I believe the problem may be of a quite generic type for Windows 200/XP.

I had a similar experience with USB (and PCMCIA) wireless network adapters. If I changed USB port (or PC card slot) the computer would then go through the "new hardware" routine and reinstall the drivers all over again. Once this had been done for all options however, it was fine.

Incidentally, I now connect almost all my USB devices through a minihub, and have much less hassle as a aconsequence.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

ADSL modem working on 1 USB port only

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »