FAT error on secondary hard disk (Win98)
Thread poster: langnet
langnet
langnet  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 06:51
Italian to German
+ ...
Oct 21, 2003

Is there somebody out there who's able to give me a hint????!
It`s about 5 days that I've been having problems with my PC. It all started with some unexpected restarts out of the blue. My first thought was a virus (famous "Blaster", but as a tradionalist I'm still with Win98). Various antivirus scannings were negative (no virus found). The problem seems to be related to faulty ASDL modem drivers (I've recently changed the mainboard, DIMMs and graphic card due to a - really silly - hardware
... See more
It`s about 5 days that I've been having problems with my PC. It all started with some unexpected restarts out of the blue. My first thought was a virus (famous "Blaster", but as a tradionalist I'm still with Win98). Various antivirus scannings were negative (no virus found). The problem seems to be related to faulty ASDL modem drivers (I've recently changed the mainboard, DIMMs and graphic card due to a - really silly - hardware failure). I fixed these drivers up and the OS seems stable since...
I have 3 seperate hard disks. Two of them are fine, but with the third, when starting Windows, I get a FAT error (Windows starting Scandisk automatically) on drive E: that Scandisk isn't able to fix.
The problem is that I stored my main Multiterm glossary on this disk. This is still working perfectly under Windows, but I'm not able to create neither a backup or other copy nor an export file without an error.
Is there anything I can do to save these data? Is there any possibility to fix the FAT with a specific programme?
Of course, I have some backup copies of this glossary but they're not up to date and I would loose some important entries recently added. Any chance to get the problem fixed without/before formatting everything?

Thanks in advance

Claudia
Collapse

Tihi (X)
Tihi (X)
English to Bosnian
+ ...
FAT fix Oct 22, 2003

langnet wrote:
Hello Claudia, there is a solution to your problem: 1. You have to transfer the sistem file to that disk (two options for it: copy win.ini files to that disk or in dos prompt type sys C*) if that does not help format the drive with this "format x /f (where x is the letter of your hard-drive), if that does noth work either reply to my e-mail, and will work something else!

Rasim
It`s about 5 days that I've been having problems with my PC. It all started with some unexpected restarts out of the blue. My first thought was a virus (famous "Blaster", but as a tradionalist I'm still with Win98). Various antivirus scannings were negative (no virus found). The problem seems to be related to faulty ASDL modem drivers (I've recently changed the mainboard, DIMMs and graphic card due to a - really silly - hardware failure). I fixed these drivers up and the OS seems stable since...
I have 3 seperate hard disks. Two of them are fine, but with the third, when starting Windows, I get a FAT error (Windows starting Scandisk automatically) on drive E: that Scandisk isn't able to fix.
The problem is that I stored my main Multiterm glossary on this disk. This is still working perfectly under Windows, but I'm not able to create neither a backup or other copy nor an export file without an error.
Is there anything I can do to save these data? Is there any possibility to fix the FAT with a specific programme?
Of course, I have some backup copies of this glossary but they're not up to date and I would loose some important entries recently added. Any chance to get the problem fixed without/before formatting everything?

Thanks in advance

Claudia

Andrea Ali
Andrea Ali  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 01:51
Member (2003)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Ghost Oct 22, 2003

Try to create an image of the HD with Ghost (Symantec software - about 1MB).
As far as I know, you have to format the HD "to fix" the FAT.

HTH!

Good luck, Claudia!

Regards,
Andrea

sylver
sylver  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:51
English to French
Specifics Oct 22, 2003

What error message do you get when trying to export?

Can you open the file at the current location?

It's quite tricky to figure out what can and what can't be done from your post. please give more details.

Did you try copying on a disk, or burn a CD with it, instead of trying to copy it on an other drive?

One idea would be to try to open the multiterm file in Wordfast as a glossary (Wordfast demo version would do just fine). This would cause Wo
... See more

It's quite tricky to figure out what can and what can't be done from your post. please give more details.

Did you try copying on a disk, or burn a CD with it, instead of trying to copy it on an other drive?

One idea would be to try to open the multiterm file in Wordfast as a glossary (Wordfast demo version would do just fine). This would cause Worfast to convert it to tab delimited txt, which you may have more luck copying to another drive
Collapse

langnet
langnet  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks to all of you - and further questions Oct 24, 2003

And sorry that I'm able to post some response only this evening, but I've been without Internet connection (always conserve your old 56K modem ).
Meanwhile I've discovered the source of all these troubles - it was my ADSL(DSL) modem. From the start this modem (delivered by the ISP and not chosen by me) made some troubles, only that I thought that this was due to my main board and processor configuration. Some unexpected PC r
... See more
And sorry that I'm able to post some response only this evening, but I've been without Internet connection (always conserve your old 56K modem ).
Meanwhile I've discovered the source of all these troubles - it was my ADSL(DSL) modem. From the start this modem (delivered by the ISP and not chosen by me) made some troubles, only that I thought that this was due to my main board and processor configuration. Some unexpected PC restarts from now and then that I imputed to some voltage drop.
But: it was definitely the ADSL modem. After having these problems with my desktop PC (which resulted in corrupting one secondary HD) I set up my laptop connecting this modem to it (which I had connected before via the USB port). First thing after starting Windows was an unexpected restart. I disconnected all, bought a new DSL modem (US Robotics) that works fine from the beginning without a problem on both PCs.
Now I will have to quarrel with my ISP as I don't like the modems he offers for free.
But try to download 50 MB of work with a 56K modem - I called thrice for a tecnician, but they're "on strike"!!!!!! Gosh!!!!!
Don't think that they would detain this from your normal monthly DSL flat rate...

What I now need is some advice about how to save my data before formatting since one HD has been definitely corrupted by these unexpected "shutdowns". I did a Scandisk from Windows. There are FAT errors and cluster errors, but the "disk surface" is OK.
Unfortunately I didn't manage to fix them (PC hang-up at the last).
So, the current situation is: a friend of mine dismounted the corrupted HD (# 3 of 3) trying to fix it with Norton Disk Doctor on his own PC. No way, he told me tonight, his PC gets stuck (the rest of my PC without this disk is - obviously - fine).

Especially to Sylver (special thanks because your suggestion worked - got a converted Wordfast glossary file.

One idea would be to try to open the multiterm file in Wordfast as a glossary (Wordfast demo version would do just fine). This would cause Worfast to convert it to tab delimited txt, which you may have more luck copying to another drive

Did this and saved the main data as TXT.-file to another drive. Thank God and thank YOU very much for this tip!

The error message when copying ist "can't read from that disk".

I can open almost all files from the current location (though some data is missing in some files, or the application like Word or Excel isn't able to read the whole file.

I tried to burn a copy (Nero), but it says "can't read/copy from this disk".
The same goes for trying to copy these data to another physikal HD.

Any further ideas how to save my life?))))

Claudia

[Edited at 2003-10-24 21:14]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

FAT error on secondary hard disk (Win98)

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »