What to do with an I/O error?
Thread poster: baerbel
baerbel
baerbel
Local time: 03:39
English to German
+ ...
Dec 1, 2003

My floppy drive (A) doesn´t work. It is in Windows 2000 Pro, but refuses to read the floppys. Constant message "Insert a disk into the drive", although a disk is in.
Searching around it gave me the error message "I/O device error". What do I do now, I´m no hardware wizard.
Barbara

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:39
English to German
+ ...
Have you tried another diskette? Dec 1, 2003

Hi Barbara,
Does this occur with other diskettes as well? Try a brand new diskette - chances are that the diskette is defective.

Also, if you're using Win2k, you might want to consider using USB memory sticks rather than diskettes - they hold much more data and are less prone to defects than diskettes.

HTH, Ralf

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 13:39
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Modern diskstations are bad Dec 1, 2003

The quality of these devices has declined, since few use floppy disks anymore and portable computers can do without. Better try the disk on an other computer and send the files by email to yourself.

Robert Zawadzki (X)
Robert Zawadzki (X)  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
And if you absolutely need to recover the contents... Dec 1, 2003

In the old times Norton Disk Doctor could help (but you needed someone who could play with all those 'raw sector reads'). The Windows Norton slowed down my machine considerably and I dumped it so I cannot tell more about it. I agree that diskettes are passe. The problem with memory sticks is that you need a USB port to use them. I have seen some (still working) computers that did not have USB a few months ago.

baerbel
baerbel
Local time: 03:39
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Add to I/O device error. Dec 1, 2003

Nein, so einfach ist das nicht.
Wir haben den drive in einem anderen PC ausprobiert, auch das Kabel. Wir haben Disketten genommen, die in einem anderen PC funktionieren.Ich habe den Drive deinstalliert und wieder installiert, er wurde von Windows anerkannt und auch der Driver gefunden.
Nur, wenn ich Floppy A aufmache kommt die Meldung: A is not accessible, because of I/O device error.
Barbara

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Buy a new disk drive Dec 1, 2003

They are really cheap devices, so buy a new one. Prefer a NEC or some other brand product. I have had the same problem with Win 2k and Win 9x, both only installing a new drive helped. As stated above, they are not the best quality, and today almost noone is using 3,5 inch disks. If you need a small mobile device, buy an USB memory stick. You can use it on any PC with Win 98 SE or above.
It should even work with MAC; but I'm not very sure about it, as I still do not habe my MAC here...
... See more
They are really cheap devices, so buy a new one. Prefer a NEC or some other brand product. I have had the same problem with Win 2k and Win 9x, both only installing a new drive helped. As stated above, they are not the best quality, and today almost noone is using 3,5 inch disks. If you need a small mobile device, buy an USB memory stick. You can use it on any PC with Win 98 SE or above.
It should even work with MAC; but I'm not very sure about it, as I still do not habe my MAC here...

Beeing in your place I would stop using 3,5" disks, but switch to rewritable CDs or buy a second HDD (a removable one, perhaps) for backup purposes. The disks go dameged themselves too...

Kind regards
Jerzy
Collapse

Ken Cox
Ken Cox  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
sounds like your drive is dead Dec 1, 2003

Barbara Brinckmann wrote:

Wir haben den drive in einem anderen PC ausprobiert, auch das Kabel. ... Meldung: A is not accessible, because of I/O device error.
Barbara

If you've gotten this far, it sounds like your drive has a fatal internal fault. To confirm this, take a drive from another machine and try it in the same computer instead of the problem drive. If it works, your drive is definitely dead (the fact that Windows recognises it doesn't necessarily mean that everything else inside the drive is OK). If the replacement drive also doesn't work, there's most likely something wrong with your computer.

good luck!

[Edited at 2003-12-01 21:13]

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
floppy drive trouble Dec 2, 2003

Barbara Brinckmann wrote:

Wir haben den drive in einem anderen PC ausprobiert, auch das Kabel. Wir haben Disketten genommen, die in einem anderen PC funktionieren.Ich habe den Drive deinstalliert und wieder installiert, er wurde von Windows anerkannt und auch der Driver gefunden.
Nur, wenn ich Floppy A aufmache kommt die Meldung: A is not accessible, because of I/O device error.
Barbara
Hi! may be you should check your BIOS settings. Make floppy in your BIOS accessible. Then it shall also have an I/O address range to function properly.
If your BIOS is too old you may even need to take new BIOS chip. Regards

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What to do with an I/O error?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »