Buzzing monitor
Thread poster: Nigel Skipper (X)
Nigel Skipper (X)
Nigel Skipper (X)
Local time: 18:36
Swedish to English
Jan 18, 2004

Hi Nancy!

Both Tayfun and Jerzy have valid points. If your monitor has built-in speakers. then it could well be responding to the influence of radio waves form the police communication system, or a cellphone left nearby. If not, then the usual cause of buzzing from monitors is vibration in the high voltage transformer. It doesn't mean that the monitor will necessarily break down within the next few weeks, but repair (unless it's a really high quality graphics monitor costing over $1
... See more
Hi Nancy!

Both Tayfun and Jerzy have valid points. If your monitor has built-in speakers. then it could well be responding to the influence of radio waves form the police communication system, or a cellphone left nearby. If not, then the usual cause of buzzing from monitors is vibration in the high voltage transformer. It doesn't mean that the monitor will necessarily break down within the next few weeks, but repair (unless it's a really high quality graphics monitor costing over $1000) is not really on the cards.
You can buy a good 19" CRT monitor for around $200 and any service shop would probably charge you half of that, just to look at your monitor.

I also agree with Jerzy concerning LCD/TFT monitors. I changed my old 17" CRT display for a Samsung-based 19" TFT just before Christmas (end of the tax year you know . . ) and I can say that it has made a vast improvement to my working environment. The dreaded flickers are no more and I can finish a long days work without rubbing sore eyes. It also gives me a far better workspace, since the screen take a lot less depth, and using 1280x1024 resolution I can have a full A4 document open and have all my tools available as well.

So, if the buzzing doesn't go away with the officers, invest around $600 in a new, large, TFT screen.

//Nigel
Collapse

Narasimhan Raghavan
Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:06
English to Tamil
+ ...
In memoriam
Clicked a wrong button Nigel? Jan 18, 2004

I think that you were trying to respond to the thread vide http://www.proz.com/topic/17483.
It will be better to copy paste your post in that thread in order to keep continuity.
Regards,
N.Raghavan
Nigel Skipper wrote:

Hi Nancy!

Both Tayfun and Jerzy have valid points. If your monitor has built-in speakers. then it could well be responding to the influence of radio waves form the police communication system, or a cellphone left nearby. If not, then the usual cause of buzzing from monitors is vibration in the high voltage transformer. It doesn't mean that the monitor will necessarily break down within the next few weeks, but repair (unless it's a really high quality graphics monitor costing over $1000) is not really on the cards.
You can buy a good 19" CRT monitor for around $200 and any service shop would probably charge you half of that, just to look at your monitor.

I also agree with Jerzy concerning LCD/TFT monitors. I changed my old 17" CRT display for a Samsung-based 19" TFT just before Christmas (end of the tax year you know . . ) and I can say that it has made a vast improvement to my working environment. The dreaded flickers are no more and I can finish a long days work without rubbing sore eyes. It also gives me a far better workspace, since the screen take a lot less depth, and using 1280x1024 resolution I can have a full A4 document open and have all my tools available as well.

So, if the buzzing doesn't go away with the officers, invest around $600 in a new, large, TFT screen.

//Nigel

NancyLynn
NancyLynn
Canada
Local time: 12:36
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

Nigel, I think you're right Jan 18, 2004

The cops are gone and so is the buzzing.
My house was built in the 1800s and is in the road allowance, so as I sit at my desk I could have a conversation with the said cop as he stands outside directing traffice (that is, if my window were open, and if he were actually outside directing traffic, but he is enjoying the warmth and comfort of his cruiser in this blizzard).;-)
Points well taken on the monitor purchase, too. When the time comes I'll know what to do.
Nancy

Carlos Moreno
Carlos Moreno  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 11:36
English to Spanish
+ ...
Another possible cause Jan 18, 2004

Did you check for honey dripping?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Buzzing monitor

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »