Joanne Parker
Joanne Parker  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:11
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
6.5 and 5.5 Mar 19, 2004

Channa Montijn wrote:

If I upgrade Trados to 6.5 can I still work on jobs the clients one me to do in 5.5?
Thanks again all and have a lovely day!

Cheers
Channa

Hi Channa,

You can open a Trados memory that was created with Trados 5.5 and work on it using Trados 6.5, yes. But if you create a memory in Trados 6.5 and someone tries to use that memory with Trados 5.5, it doesn't work. I'm sure Jerzy can - and has, somewhere in this forum - explain this much better, but 6.5 has a different format to 5.5.

I've managed to install both versions on my PC and can switch between the two. It's worked very well on both Windows 2000 and XP.

HTH,

Joanne

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 13:11
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
For normal purposes you do not need both Trados 5.5/6.5 Mar 19, 2004

You can use only Trados 6.5, as anyone other using older versions will still be able to import a *.txt TM export from Trados 6.5.
The limitation with Office is bigger.
While Trados 5 works only with Office 2000, Trados 5.5 was the first version to support Office XP.
Trados 6.0 works with both Office 2000 and XP.
The recent build of Trados 6.5 has official support for the new MS Office 2003.
It works either fine with Office XP (in my case with no problems as far, bet
... See more
You can use only Trados 6.5, as anyone other using older versions will still be able to import a *.txt TM export from Trados 6.5.
The limitation with Office is bigger.
While Trados 5 works only with Office 2000, Trados 5.5 was the first version to support Office XP.
Trados 6.0 works with both Office 2000 and XP.
The recent build of Trados 6.5 has official support for the new MS Office 2003.
It works either fine with Office XP (in my case with no problems as far, better than any previous version did). I'm not sure about downward compatibility with Office 2000, this should be checked on Trados support page http://support.trados.com, but I think this should work.
On the other hand, I do not think that Office 97 is still supported, and for anyone using this I strongly reccomend to upgrade to at least XP, as Office 97 was the worsest Office suite MS ever released. It is very unstable...

Regards
Jerzy
Collapse

Catherine Stumpp
Catherine Stumpp  Identity Verified
French to German
+ ...
all software is delivered with the apple computer Mar 19, 2004

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

catherine6 wrote:

I bought an apple computer about a year ago and the good thing is: everything is delivered with it and as not soo many people have got one, it is unlikely to catch a virus, like all windows- users do. the only thing you will have to check for is, if TRADOS works on an apple. I cannot tell you that, as I am not working with TRADOS. But I am about to find out in a few days time. all windows software like powerpoint, excel and word do exist for apple computers as well and work fine. if you buy an iMac, the monitor is LCD and you can choose the size and all.

I am still very pleased about my apple computer and never really had problems with it, whereas my windows desktop - which I kept just in case - broke down twice during that time and all the time and money it costs to repair it, don't really appear to be a good marketing instrument from microsoft...

just think about it and get a picture at the apple site: www.apple.com

regards, catherine

TRADOS definitely does not work with Apple and it is not very likely, that it will work with MAC OS in the nearest future.
Apple costs much more than any PC, and comes only with the MAC OS, nothing more. So you will be forced to buy any software new. Count it together: Aplle with at least 1.000 Euros, MS Office (you´ll need the last vX version to keep full - almost - compatibility with your clients) with approx. 600 Euro and any other software. Even a simply zip program costs allready 29 Euros. If you compare this figures with the PC world, you will soon find Apple extremly expensive. Good luck, that one is not more forced to buy everything from them, as the Apple wireles keyboard and mouse solution costs more than twice as much than the same solution by Logitech. But Logitech works with MAC...
I have both PC and MAC here, so I can very easy compare the prices and the performance.
MAC does not have any advantage for a typical translation job, as long we stay in Europe.

Regards
Jerzy

Anne Seerup
Anne Seerup
Ireland
Local time: 12:11
English to Danish
+ ...
Agree - build your own! Mar 19, 2004

I went ahead and built one myself and although I did experience some problems wiht a faulty mainboard, it is not at all as hard as it seems. I spent quite a while reading up on specs in order to ensure compatibilty between the components. Bought Athlon Barton 2500+ and 1 GB DDR Crucial RAM, Chaintech CN7JS Zenith Ultra, dual channel,nVidia nforce 2 (replaced the faulty ASUS), Grapics card, Sapphire Radeon 9500 Atlantis Pro. I already had a Seagate Barracuda harddrive of 80 GB, but I really reco... See more
I went ahead and built one myself and although I did experience some problems wiht a faulty mainboard, it is not at all as hard as it seems. I spent quite a while reading up on specs in order to ensure compatibilty between the components. Bought Athlon Barton 2500+ and 1 GB DDR Crucial RAM, Chaintech CN7JS Zenith Ultra, dual channel,nVidia nforce 2 (replaced the faulty ASUS), Grapics card, Sapphire Radeon 9500 Atlantis Pro. I already had a Seagate Barracuda harddrive of 80 GB, but I really recommend more for back-up purposes. I costed me about Euro 1000 but I am very happy with the result and it just runs so fast and smoothly compared to the old packard bell and the motherboard has great specs which allow for further upgrades. I guess my system more or less complies with the specifications Jerzy is giving here.

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

Go exactly for the specified components, or take other motherboard by renowned manufacturer, such as MSI, Epox or other, but be sure you get nothing worser than nVidia SP2 ultra or VIA 600. Choosing nVida, you can come into the advantage of double channel memory, whilst VIA offers only SATA support by only single channel memory.
Take a processor "in the box". Such box contains a processor and a fan, attested by the manufacturer and gives you three years warranty.
Choose a HDD from Hitachi/IBM, Seagate, Maxtor, Western Digital or Samsung. All have good performance, so choose the one with the longest warranty and best price for GB.
For graphics you can take particulary any card with Radeon chip, as far you do not want to play games with your PC. I would highly reccomend ATI, as the picture quality for office application is much better than the one from nVidia. I can see big difference even on a TFT screen, after I changed from Radeon 7000 (it gave up...) to nVidia G-Force FX 5200. The new card may be faster and better, but the picture quality is not better.
Buy memory chips from renowned manufacturer, such as Infineon. These are not as expensive as Corsair, but will do for business. You will certainly not overclock your system...
The above price for Windows is for a very legal system builder full-version, so you even do not need to have a previous Windows version to be able to install this one.

Regarding support - properly configured PC with these components will not need any support for many years...
My old Athlon XP 1700+ works since February 2002 with no problems - and I build it on my own too.

Follow Andrzej´s advice, if you cannot build the PC on your own. In such small computer shop you will get friendly suport too - much cheaper than elswhere.
This is the same as with Apple - many people state it to be the best PC in the world. Mayby it is, but surely it is the most expensive system, and very exclusive too...
Dell & Co are doing the same: selling the same components, as specified above, but at twice the usual price.
Be aware, that investing in a 64 bit processor does not make sense at this moment, because there is almost no software using 64 bit technology.
The specified configuration is the best you can get for 32 bit environment at the moment, if you decide for AMD. If you go for Intel, it will be more expensive, but still cheaper if build alone, as if bought from Dell or so.
I have made this mistake twice. Once I bought an IBM, and next time a Fujitsu Siemens. Both were no way better. IBM had integrated graphics - any update afterwards impossible without changing the motherboard.
Fujitsu-Siemens used the cheapest mainbord with the cheapest chipset they could get. Even if they mounted a HDD with UDMA66 support, they used a cable with only support for UDMA33 - this was a saving of about 2 Euros... No difference for anybody, buing the system. But if you produce 10000 units, you´ll get a big difference.
I would not trust such system anymore.

Regards
Jerzy
Collapse

Catherine Stumpp
Catherine Stumpp  Identity Verified
French to German
+ ...
Don't go mad on apple. Wide range of software is included. Mar 19, 2004

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

catherine6 wrote:

I bought an apple computer about a year ago and the good thing is: everything is delivered with it and as not soo many people have got one, it is unlikely to catch a virus, like all windows- users do. the only thing you will have to check for is, if TRADOS works on an apple. I cannot tell you that, as I am not working with TRADOS. But I am about to find out in a few days time. all windows software like powerpoint, excel and word do exist for apple computers as well and work fine. if you buy an iMac, the monitor is LCD and you can choose the size and all.

I am still very pleased about my apple computer and never really had problems with it, whereas my windows desktop - which I kept just in case - broke down twice during that time and all the time and money it costs to repair it, don't really appear to be a good marketing instrument from microsoft...

just think about it and get a picture at the apple site: www.apple.com

regards, catherine

TRADOS definitely does not work with Apple and it is not very likely, that it will work with MAC OS in the nearest future.
Apple costs much more than any PC, and comes only with the MAC OS, nothing more. So you will be forced to buy any software new. Count it together: Aplle with at least 1.000 Euros, MS Office (you´ll need the last vX version to keep full - almost - compatibility with your clients) with approx. 600 Euro and any other software. Even a simply zip program costs allready 29 Euros. If you compare this figures with the PC world, you will soon find Apple extremly expensive. Good luck, that one is not more forced to buy everything from them, as the Apple wireles keyboard and mouse solution costs more than twice as much than the same solution by Logitech. But Logitech works with MAC...
I have both PC and MAC here, so I can very easy compare the prices and the performance.
MAC does not have any advantage for a typical translation job, as long we stay in Europe.

Regards
Jerzy

So, Jerzy, I do not know, where you bought your apple, but mine was delivered - as it generally is - with all corresponding software like iTunes, iDVD, iMovie, iPhoto, AppleWorks, Mail, Calendar, Browser and other.

Microsoft Office v.X for the new apple computers can easily be bought at ebay for a smaller sum (about 100 - 300 euros, depending on how lucky you are). With respect to how often a Windows computer crashes down for no reason at all (I am actually working with Microsoft programmes since 1987, so I know, what I am talking about), and if you count all the time and effort to get it started again, the apple computer pays after about 6 months at the latest.

However, if TRADOS does not work on an apple, this really is an important point! All the rest you mentioned does not really have a basis.

And after all, an apple computer looks so much better and takes so much less space than a Windows (Microsoft) Desktop.

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
And what can you do with these software for your clients? Mar 19, 2004

catherine6 wrote:
So, Jerzy, I do not know, where you bought your apple, but mine was delivered - as it generally is - with all corresponding software like iTunes, iDVD, iMovie, iPhoto, AppleWorks, Mail, Calendar, Browser and other.

I bought my Power MAC G4 1250 MHZ at Apple store and paid 1.299 Euro!
Yes indeed, it has the above specified software. But only email can be used for extern purposes, all other software is a gag. Which customer will accept a text written with AppleWorks?

Microsoft Office v.X for the new apple computers can easily be bought at ebay for a smaller sum (about 100 - 300 euros, depending on how lucky you are). With respect to how often a Windows computer crashes down for no reason at all (I am actually working with Microsoft programmes since 1987, so I know, what I am talking about), and if you count all the time and effort to get it started again, the apple computer pays after about 6 months at the latest.

Yes, indeed one COULD buy Office vX for that sum last year, as Aplle offered the "White book" promotion. This year you need to pay at least 349 Euro, if you will buy legal software with proper invoice.
I work with PC since 1990 and ideed it kept crashing, until Windows 2k/XP came. From then on crashing of PC is as often as crashing of MAC - and it does crahs, believe me.
Apple NEVER pays for a translator in Europe, particulary in Germany, as for my oppinion. It is good to have one, but you cannot go without PC.

However, if TRADOS does not work on an apple, this really is an important point! All the rest you mentioned does not really have a basis.

And after all, an apple computer looks so much better and takes so much less space than a Windows (Microsoft) Desktop.

Why?
Power PC is as big as any other PC. And its transparent case is a dust magnet, after two or three days it looks terrible.
I have a PC in a Chieftec case - this looks very good to. And how a PC/MAC looks has nothing to do with the possibility to work with.
MAC is simply too expensive, even if it is not bad.
And at the end - have you seen the new barebone systems? They are even smaller than an Apple Cube...
I will not speak about the so called user-friendliness of MAC OS, because I can´t find anything such in OS 9.
OS X is better, but I dare to doubt if it is better than Windows XP.

Regards
Jerzy

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 14:11
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Windows crashing is a legend nowadays Mar 20, 2004

After I upgraded my graphic card my win2000 system is stable indeed. So Apple should stop Windows-bashing. I'd like to buy an laptop apple with a 17 inch screen for 3000 euros, as it looks great, but a Windows laptop for 1000 euros is much more useful for a translator. Wordfast is said to work on Apple (MacWord), but I don't know about the new OS. All other CAT-tools are not compatible with Apple software.
Full featured WinPCs sell for about 600 euros incl. Works, and StarOffice costs 100.
... See more
After I upgraded my graphic card my win2000 system is stable indeed. So Apple should stop Windows-bashing. I'd like to buy an laptop apple with a 17 inch screen for 3000 euros, as it looks great, but a Windows laptop for 1000 euros is much more useful for a translator. Wordfast is said to work on Apple (MacWord), but I don't know about the new OS. All other CAT-tools are not compatible with Apple software.
Full featured WinPCs sell for about 600 euros incl. Works, and StarOffice costs 100. That's an alternative to MS-Office.
Collapse

Channa Montijn
Channa Montijn  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Dear all Mar 22, 2004

Thank you very much for all your suggestions... it was not my intention though to start a discussion between the "Apple people" and the "others" -:))
You have all been a great help and I am looking forward to assist you also in any way.
Thanks again and have a lovely evening!

Cheers
Channa

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Buying a new desktop: some advice needed

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »