wireless pc to audio
Thread poster: Oliver Pekelharing
Oliver Pekelharing
Oliver Pekelharing  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 12:07
Dutch to English
Oct 10, 2011

I just put my old laptop on my stereo and hooked it up via the headphone jack and now I'm addicted to jazzradio.com! But it means having an extra laptop (or other device) on all day, which is bad for my footprint, so I want to connect my work laptop to my stereo wirelessly and cheaply and with good sound quality and listen to internet radio from that. There are a few things on the market, eg. "Sitecom Wireless Music Streamer 2.4ghz WL-061", but the reviews are mixed if there are any at all, so w... See more
I just put my old laptop on my stereo and hooked it up via the headphone jack and now I'm addicted to jazzradio.com! But it means having an extra laptop (or other device) on all day, which is bad for my footprint, so I want to connect my work laptop to my stereo wirelessly and cheaply and with good sound quality and listen to internet radio from that. There are a few things on the market, eg. "Sitecom Wireless Music Streamer 2.4ghz WL-061", but the reviews are mixed if there are any at all, so wondering if fellow translators can share experiences.

Thanks.
Collapse

Andrzej Mierzejewski
Andrzej Mierzejewski  Identity Verified
Poland
Polish to English
+ ...
FM transmitter Oct 10, 2011

You could try an FM transmitter: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FM_transmitter_(personal_device)

No personal experience, so I don't comment on reception and sound quality.

AM

Oliver Pekelharing
Netherlands
Dutch to English
TOPIC STARTER
No tuner Oct 10, 2011

Interesting, but my stereo does nor have a tuner. Thanks for the suggestion anyway.

Sergei Leshchinsky
Sergei Leshchinsky  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 13:07
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
Oxymoron? Oct 10, 2011

Olly Pekelharing wrote: I want to connect my work laptop to my stereo wirelessly and cheaply and with good sound quality and listen to internet radio from that.

"good sound quality" and "internet radio" are incompatible notions — oxymoron.

(I don't know Internet-radio stations that broadcast lossless formats.)

Sergei Leshchinsky
Ukraine
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
Why using another PC? Oct 10, 2011

Use Line-out socket in your tower.
I have my Sony HCD-AZ2D connected this way:

I just open a radio in one of the browser tabs and listen all over my place...
Why do you need a separate PC?

Oliver Pekelharing
Netherlands
Dutch to English
TOPIC STARTER
I'm happy Oct 10, 2011

Hi Sergei,

That's what I thought too, but I've been listening to jazzradio.com and the sound quality is good enough (on my fairly high-endish Marantz system). In fact I can barely hear the difference between the streaming quality and a cd, but then, I'm no audiophile either.

Oliver Pekelharing
Netherlands
Dutch to English
TOPIC STARTER
seperate pc Oct 10, 2011

That's the point! I don't want a separate pc, but I mostly work from my laptop at one of two different spots in the living area and would like to drive my stereo system wirelessly from it.

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:07
German to English
Internet radio receiver Oct 10, 2011

In my home office I use my desktop computer to receive Internet radio programs which I then play through my cheap stereo receiver and speakers. In my living room I have an Internet radio receiver (Logitech Squeezebox -- my unit is about the size of a clock-radio) which is connected to my high-end stereo system. If you enter "internet radio receiver" in Google you will see that there are a number of systems available in a wide price range. I don't know whether you can order from Amazon where you ... See more
In my home office I use my desktop computer to receive Internet radio programs which I then play through my cheap stereo receiver and speakers. In my living room I have an Internet radio receiver (Logitech Squeezebox -- my unit is about the size of a clock-radio) which is connected to my high-end stereo system. If you enter "internet radio receiver" in Google you will see that there are a number of systems available in a wide price range. I don't know whether you can order from Amazon where you are, but their website shows a number of these devices.Collapse

Jaroslaw Michalak
Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
DLNA music system Oct 10, 2011

Olly Pekelharing wrote:
That's what I thought too, but I've been listening to jazzradio.com and the sound quality is good enough (on my fairly high-endish Marantz system). In fact I can barely hear the difference between the streaming quality and a cd, but then, I'm no audiophile either.

If you say you don't hear the difference and admit you are not an audiophile, then I am afraid they might take your Marantz away from you... Audiophiles are somewhat strict abouth those things.

Have you had a look into DLNA sound systems? There are low-end devices (just search "internet radio") or high-end ones, too. The advantage is that you can listen to Internet radio even without your laptop on, but if you want to, you might (with proper software - DLNA controller) remote control the audio system from the laptop.

Sergei Leshchinsky
Ukraine
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
In those good old days... Oct 10, 2011

... I had a VCR with an aerial (RF) transmitter (a separate device) to throw beams to all TV sets in the apartment (kitchen and rooms). All TV sets were tuned to the same channel.
I think similar things still can be found... say, at ebay...

Option TWO.
Lay thin (like for headphones) wires with jacks at the ends from your Marantz to all possible locations you might land with a laptop. And you will be able to hook-up locally....
See more
... I had a VCR with an aerial (RF) transmitter (a separate device) to throw beams to all TV sets in the apartment (kitchen and rooms). All TV sets were tuned to the same channel.
I think similar things still can be found... say, at ebay...

Option TWO.
Lay thin (like for headphones) wires with jacks at the ends from your Marantz to all possible locations you might land with a laptop. And you will be able to hook-up locally.
Collapse

Sergei Leshchinsky
Ukraine
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
Footprint issue... Oct 10, 2011

Jabberwock wrote: DLNA sound systems

Should we still mind the footprint issue?

They all start from $1,200 ... So, you'll save more in the long run, if you keep a second PC on...

It doesn't look like a very good idea. I guess Olly is looking for some lean solution.

Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Sonos Oct 10, 2011

Dear Olly,

I know this isn't exactly what you're asking for, but anyway: You might want to have a look at Sonos (www.sonos.com).

It's a fully scalable/modular music distribution system. A Zoneplayer90 (and possibly a Zonebridge, if you have no LAN connection where your stereo sits) will do what you want, and a lot more.

Quality is superb, initial costs aren't high (until you st
... See more
Dear Olly,

I know this isn't exactly what you're asking for, but anyway: You might want to have a look at Sonos (www.sonos.com).

It's a fully scalable/modular music distribution system. A Zoneplayer90 (and possibly a Zonebridge, if you have no LAN connection where your stereo sits) will do what you want, and a lot more.

Quality is superb, initial costs aren't high (until you start craving for more modules in your home - I have started with one zone and have 5 now).

Kind regards,
Erik
Collapse

Oliver Pekelharing
Netherlands
Dutch to English
TOPIC STARTER
sonos Oct 10, 2011

looks very cool, but way above budget. I was thinking along the lines of 40-50 euros, not 350!

Jaroslaw Michalak
Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
Not really... Oct 10, 2011

Sergei Leshchinsky wrote:
Should we still mind the footprint issue?

They all start from $1,200 ... So, you'll save more in the long run, if you keep a second PC on...

It doesn't look like a very good idea. I guess Olly is looking for some lean solution.

Actually, they start on Amazon from $49:

www.amazon.com/RCA-RIR205-Infinite-Tabletop-Internet/dp/B0016OI1BY

Is this lean enough?

Edit: Sorry, this one does not support DLNA. The cheapest ones with that cost about $100.

[Edited at 2011-10-10 15:49 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

wireless pc to audio

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »