Thread poster: Angela Dickson (X)
Angela Dickson (X)
Angela Dickson (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:17
French to English
+ ...
May 12, 2004

This is a tale of my stupidity - perhaps someone can advise me...

I ordered one of the new Swedish wooden-cased keyboards (see www.swedx.se for details). They don't have a distributor in the UK so I went to the German website they listed. Ordered a keyboard without problems.

The next day I received an e-mail in not very good English, but which was clear enough, asking was it ok that the post
... See more

I ordered one of the new Swedish wooden-cased keyboards (see www.swedx.se for details). They don't have a distributor in the UK so I went to the German website they listed. Ordered a keyboard without problems.

The next day I received an e-mail in not very good English, but which was clear enough, asking was it ok that the postage was a little more than they stated on the website, as they had to deliver to London. I was so impressed by them asking me in English that I replied in German - this was my mistake (please note that I am not billing myself as a German-English translator!). I was trying to ask them whether it would be possible to send an English-language keyboard, and I must have made some fundamental mistake, as the cheerful reply I received stated that they had dispatched a German keyboard, as requested! My quick reply in English was to no avail, as the post had already gone (impressively quick service from this German site!)

My question, therefore, is this: is it a simple matter to reconfigure a German keyboard to the UK layout (perhaps using stickers to re-mark the keys) or would I be better off sending it back?

By the way - I am new to this site and find these technical forums invaluable, as the members are 'on my level', unlike those on more IT-based sites (or, indeed, my boyfriend who works in IT). Thanks to all.
Collapse

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo
Madeleine MacRae Klintebo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Swedish to English
+ ...
yes May 12, 2004

Angela wrote:

The next day I received an e-mail in not very good English, but which was clear enough, asking was it ok that the postage was a little more than they stated on the website, as they had to deliver to London. I was so impressed by them asking me in English that I replied in German - this was my mistake (please note that I am not billing myself as a German-English translator!). I was trying to ask them whether it would be possible to send an English-language keyboard, and I must have made some fundamental mistake, as the cheerful reply I received stated that they had dispatched a German keyboard, as requested! My quick reply in English was to no avail, as the post had already gone (impressively quick service from this German site!)

By the way - I am new to this site and find these technical forums invaluable, as the members are 'on my level', unlike those on more IT-based sites (or, indeed, my boyfriend who works in IT). Thanks to all.

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo
Madeleine MacRae Klintebo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Swedish to English
+ ...
yes May 12, 2004

"My question, therefore, is this: is it a simple matter to reconfigure a German keyboard to the UK layout (perhaps using stickers to re-mark the keys) or would I be better off sending it back?"

Some time ago I needed a new keyboard. Couldn't find an English one (which I'm used to ) in Stockholm. Had to buy a Swedish one, but when I need English punctuation, like square brackets, I change my settings to English. Previously, living in Englad, I used to write å,ä,ö on the keys so th
... See more
"My question, therefore, is this: is it a simple matter to reconfigure a German keyboard to the UK layout (perhaps using stickers to re-mark the keys) or would I be better off sending it back?"

Some time ago I needed a new keyboard. Couldn't find an English one (which I'm used to ) in Stockholm. Had to buy a Swedish one, but when I need English punctuation, like square brackets, I change my settings to English. Previously, living in Englad, I used to write å,ä,ö on the keys so that it was easier when I switched computer language.
Collapse

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:17
German to English
+ ...
Ordered wrong keyboard! May 12, 2004

There are only a couple of differences between a UK and a German keyboard. Can the keys be removed and replaced easily? If so, it may be easier just to have the different keys sent to you.

If not, I'd send it back. Who'd spoil such a beautiful product (and probably not cheap, either) with stickers?

Marc

Angela Dickson (X)
Angela Dickson (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It's arrived! May 17, 2004

So others can learn from my mistakes:

it's arrived, and it is lovely, and so is my new wooden wireless mouse. At 43 euros (and 58 for the mouse) it ain't cheap, but it is biodegradable. I am not going to spoil it with stickers.

as for adaptability, well, as I touch-type it's fine, as it uses my existing settings. That means that I don't get the advantage of easy access to umlauts, and there is no easy way to type the euro symbol (a British PC to the core!). But it feels
... See more
So others can learn from my mistakes:

it's arrived, and it is lovely, and so is my new wooden wireless mouse. At 43 euros (and 58 for the mouse) it ain't cheap, but it is biodegradable. I am not going to spoil it with stickers.

as for adaptability, well, as I touch-type it's fine, as it uses my existing settings. That means that I don't get the advantage of easy access to umlauts, and there is no easy way to type the euro symbol (a British PC to the core!). But it feels fine, and it looks different to those of my neighbours, which is important to some...

thanks for all the advice
Angela

MarcPrior wrote:

There are only a couple of differences between a UK and a German keyboard. Can the keys be removed and replaced easily? If so, it may be easier just to have the different keys sent to you.

If not, I'd send it back. Who'd spoil such a beautiful product (and probably not cheap, either) with stickers?

Marc
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Ordered wrong keyboard!

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »