Thread poster: Joanne Parker
Joanne Parker
Joanne Parker  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:51
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
May 25, 2004

I've been looking to buy a laptop for about a year now, and haven't managed to find one that meets my needs. Can anyone recommend a laptop/notebook with:

* Min. of 3 hours battery life
* Pentium 4 processor 2.6 or above
* 512 MB DDR RAM
* Min of 40GB hard drive
* Min. of 15" TFT screen
* Min. of 3 USB ports

I live in the UK and would really appreciate it if someone could recommend a good retailer where I can ask for independent advice.
... See more
I've been looking to buy a laptop for about a year now, and haven't managed to find one that meets my needs. Can anyone recommend a laptop/notebook with:

* Min. of 3 hours battery life
* Pentium 4 processor 2.6 or above
* 512 MB DDR RAM
* Min of 40GB hard drive
* Min. of 15" TFT screen
* Min. of 3 USB ports

I live in the UK and would really appreciate it if someone could recommend a good retailer where I can ask for independent advice.

Many thanks for any help and advice you can give me, I am going away on business soon and do need to buy a laptop asap. Battery life is a major factor in my decision, since it will be mostly used when travelling, ie. no guaranteed access to a fixed power supply!

[Edited at 2004-05-25 20:34]
Collapse

Graciela Carlyle
Graciela Carlyle  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:51
English to Spanish
+ ...
Centrino May 25, 2004

Hi Joanne,

If you want long battery life you're looking for a Pentium M Centrino as they take a lot less power than normal Pentium IV.
I have a Toshiba Tecra S1 and the battery lasts about 5 hours in long life mode (I proved it in my flights to Argentina).
Here are the speci
... See more
Hi Joanne,

If you want long battery life you're looking for a Pentium M Centrino as they take a lot less power than normal Pentium IV.
I have a Toshiba Tecra S1 and the battery lasts about 5 hours in long life mode (I proved it in my flights to Argentina).
Here are the specifications: http://uk.computers.toshiba-europe.com/cgi-bin/ToshibaCSG/selected_product_option.jsp?z=135&service=UK&PRODUCT_ID=69236&DISC_MODEL=0

I think the new line now is Tecra M1 and M2, but I reckon they must be very similar to mine or with a few enhancements. In fact, the only thing I would have like added in this one is a fire-wire port.

Hope it helps
Grace.
Collapse

Anjo Sterringa
Anjo Sterringa  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 15:51
English to Dutch
+ ...
Centrino May 30, 2004

http://www.eweek.com/print_article/0,1761,a=38387,00.asp

I found in another article that the Toshiba had a bigger battery, and thus a longer batt. life. In this article it is:
(These are all the top of the range models)
1. IBM Thinkpad T40 (> 5hrs 30')
2. Toshiba Tecra M1 (5 hrs 30')
3. Acer travelmate 800 (5 hrs 15')
(Pentium-M /Centrino
... See more
http://www.eweek.com/print_article/0,1761,a=38387,00.asp

I found in another article that the Toshiba had a bigger battery, and thus a longer batt. life. In this article it is:
(These are all the top of the range models)
1. IBM Thinkpad T40 (> 5hrs 30')
2. Toshiba Tecra M1 (5 hrs 30')
3. Acer travelmate 800 (5 hrs 15')
(Pentium-M /Centrino at 1.6 Ghz)

Performance: Business Winstone (you'll probably know what that is)

1. Acer
2. IBM
3. Toshiba

Anyway, they all left (even) a Pentium IV far behind, as they have 'a large secondary cache'. Again, you will understand what it means. (I am just quoting)

I can also vouch for the Centrino (on a simpler ACER) as being VERY quiet, what a blessing. They all have at least 3 USB ports, and everything you are asking for (except the Pentium IV of course)

I must say, a personal experience is that the Centrino (Acer) is just slightly slower than my noisy Pentium IV (2.4 GHz) laptop. (e.g. in getting long documents on the screen) - but I am not sure our Centrino isn't just 1.3 GHz.

When I travel, I make sure to be very near some big 12V batteries and an inverter.(I do not like airplanes). Just my luck I live on an island.

[Edited at 2004-05-30 22:23]

[Edited at 2004-05-30 22:25]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Looking for recommendations for notebook with long-life battery

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »