Roberta Anderson
Roberta Anderson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 13:57
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
Jul 16, 2004

Tired of toggling between open applications and windows, I'd like to revive my old CRT monitor and use it as a second monitor, on which to display another application window or parts (palettes, windows) of the same application as displayed on the main monitor.

Can anyone already using 2 monitors advise on what video card to look for, or any caveats?

Many thanks,
Roberta

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
DualHead adaptor Jul 16, 2004

Hi Roberta,
I have been using a Matrox Millennium G450 DualHead graphics card for several years, without any problems whatsoever. (I should add that I am using two identical displays to create a two-screen desktop.)

I'm sure there's a newer version nowadays, but in principle this works beautifully.

Best, Ralf

Klaus Herrmann
Klaus Herrmann  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
ATI Radeon Jul 16, 2004

I've been using an ATI Radeon 7000 for some years now. Since you mentione palettes, I was very disappointed to see that Pagemaker does not support moving palettes to another screen. Whether this is due to the video card or Pagemaker I can't tell. Quark, FrameMaker, DVX, and Trados work fine with my ATI card.

Nigel Skipper (X)
Nigel Skipper (X)
Swedish to English
Club 3D Radeon 7000 64MB Jul 16, 2004

Hello Roberta,

If you are running a PC, the graphics card mentioned in my title offers one of the cheapest ways of getting there. It costs less than €30 and gives you two video outputs, one VGA and the other DVI (which can easily be converted to VGA).
I recently invested in this card together with a second 19" LCD screen, since I too had started getting irritated with all the windows you need to have open on the screen while translating.

If you haven't experienc
... See more
Hello Roberta,

If you are running a PC, the graphics card mentioned in my title offers one of the cheapest ways of getting there. It costs less than €30 and gives you two video outputs, one VGA and the other DVI (which can easily be converted to VGA).
I recently invested in this card together with a second 19" LCD screen, since I too had started getting irritated with all the windows you need to have open on the screen while translating.

If you haven't experienced an LCD screen driven via a DVI input, it's quite an eye-opener! no more fuzzy text anywhere on the screen and pin-sharp graphics anyplace you put them.

The Radeon card comes with their "Hydravision" software - this lets you do all kinds of smart things with your windows (i.e. placement of mother/daughter windows etc.)

I did quite a lot of research before buying and I can definitely recommend this solution. Installation was easy - definitly "plug and play".

On the other hand, if you are running a Mac, you just need to buy a second PCI graphics card (which supports Mac OS) and go from there.

//Nigel Skipper
Collapse

Geneviève von Levetzow
Geneviève von Levetzow  Identity Verified
French to German
+ ...
Matrox Jul 16, 2004

Roberta,

I have had a Matrox Millennium too (like Ralf), and I am using now a Matrox Parhelia 128MB because I am working with three monitors.

Both grafic cards works beautifully and trouble-free.

Geneviève:)

Marketing-Lang.
Marketing-Lang.  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Any old iron... Jul 16, 2004

Hi Roberta,
Just in case you have an old graphics card lying around along with your old monitor, you could simply try plugging it into the computer alongside the other one. It's another way to operate two monitors and will function under Windows 98 and later.

Note: One must be AGP, one must be PCI. Two of each won't work, I'm afraid.

-Mike-

Roberta Anderson
Roberta Anderson  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all! Jul 16, 2004

Thank you all for your precious advice!
You are great!

It is for my PC system, Nigel.
And Mike, no, I have no spare card with the spare monitor (which is spare since I replaced it with an LCD monitor last yr).

Thank you again,
Roberta

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Advice for video card to support 2 monitors

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »