Ivano Conte  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 07:21
English to Italian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Apr 17, 2013

Hi there!

I was looking for a computer that I can carry with me when I am not at home.
So I did a research and I find: Notebooks and Netbooks.

First question: What's the difference?
In translation business, what is more useful?

Second question: can you suggest me any notebook/netbook?
I am a real newbie in these kind of things and, in my opinion, the most important thing should be a good battery, so I would not risk to remain without powe
... See more
Hi there!

I was looking for a computer that I can carry with me when I am not at home.

Second question: can you suggest me any notebook/netbook?
I am a real newbie in these kind of things and, in my opinion, the most important thing should be a good battery, so I would not risk to remain without power during the day. Am i right? Or does it need something more?

Unfortunately I am a poor (and young) translator, too. So I have (with your help, I hope) to find something cheap.

I also use Trados Studio 2011 and MultiTerm, in case you need this information for the suggestions.

Thanks to all!

IC
Collapse

Inna Borymova
Inna Borymova  Identity Verified
Kyrgyzstan
Member (2013)
English to Russian
+ ...
Netbook Apr 17, 2013

I've used notebook for many years but they are too heavy to always carry with me and the battery is weak. With a netbook one can work up to 10 hours. Now I realize that for my current projects netbook is not powerful enough and I am tired of its small screen. So I again got a large notebook but I use netbook on the go. So if you have a "normal" computer at home it's better to have a netbook because that large staff is really heavy and inconvenient to carry

[Edited at 2013-04-17 08:18 GMT]

Ivano Conte
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
Suggestion Apr 17, 2013

Can you suggest me a netbook?

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
English to German
Difficult question Apr 17, 2013

Ivano Conte wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netbook
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laptop

It depends on your personal needs. "Translation business" is a vast area.

Unfortunately I am a poor (and young) translator, too.

In my city there are lots of small computershops where you can buy used PCs, notebooks & netbooks. Prices are very low because nobody wants to own an "outdated" model. Outdated means: 2 years old.

Yuri Radcev
Yuri Radcev  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:21
English to Russian
+ ...
how much are you ready to sacrifice? Apr 17, 2013

working a lot means endangering your eyesight. which means the device you're about to purchase should have a good screen. which, in turn, means more money to part with.
ready?

Vasily Zvere (X)
Vasily Zvere (X)  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 13:21
English to Russian
Packard Bell Apr 17, 2013

I can recommend you Packard Bell.
Very reliable and state of the art notebooks & netbooks.

Ivano Conte
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
I do not know Apr 17, 2013

Really I do not know... I was thinking not more than 250$, but if you tell me that is impossible get a netbook with this amout, I will think about it.

Yuri Radcev
Yuri Radcev  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:21
English to Russian
+ ...
hit two birds Apr 17, 2013

well...you're on a cheapest edge. emachines, acer - try to locate them on ebay.
I would not start with buying a used machine, although it might be a decent way out.

Ivano Conte
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
Thanks Yurizx Apr 17, 2013

Yes, I know... I am on a cheapest edge but for now I have to keep a "low profile".

Thanks a lot!

Simin Tan
Simin Tan  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:21
Chinese to English
Off-lease machines are your best bet Apr 17, 2013

I'd suggest that you go for a laptop as far as possible - I have used a netbook for my work and find the small screen severely limiting when working with Powerpoint files. You are also more likely to get decent processing power with a laptop to run your CAT tools and any other software with.

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Go for at least 4MB of RAM. Apr 17, 2013

Ivano Conte wrote:

Can you suggest me a netbook?

A netbook probably won't have more than 1MB of RAM. Studio 2011 will be painfully slow.

Josephine Cassar
Josephine Cassar  Identity Verified
Malta
Member (2012)
English to Maltese
+ ...
Notebooks are too heavy Apr 17, 2013

Sorry, but I do not agree. I bought a netbook in September 2011, but found it too small for both my eyes as well as for checking mistakes, even if you can increase size-I do not have a Cat tool- then I bought a Notebook in November 2012 and it really is not heavy. These things change a lot, with time; both the battery- the heaviest part- and the charger are much less heavy than the ones i used to have before, so if you are going to use PC for translation constantly, I would definitely go for a n... See more
Sorry, but I do not agree. I bought a netbook in September 2011, but found it too small for both my eyes as well as for checking mistakes, even if you can increase size-I do not have a Cat tool- then I bought a Notebook in November 2012 and it really is not heavy. These things change a lot, with time; both the battery- the heaviest part- and the charger are much less heavy than the ones i used to have before, so if you are going to use PC for translation constantly, I would definitely go for a notebook. I hardly ever use the netbook, now. The batteries of the notebook lasts a lot, but that depends on what you buy too. Good luckCollapse

Châu Nguyễn
Châu Nguyễn  Identity Verified
Vietnam
Local time: 12:21
Member (2012)
English to Vietnamese
+ ...
It depends on what you are using Apr 18, 2013

Since you're using Trados 2011, it makes more sense to buy whatever machine that can run this software.

System requirements for SDL Trados Studio 2011:
SDL Trados Studio 2011 supports Microsoft Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 8.

As a minimum requirement, we recommend a Pentium IV-based computer with 1 GB RAM and a screen resolution of 1280x1024.

For optimum performance, we recommend 2 GB RAM and a more recent Pentium or compatible p
... See more
Since you're using Trados 2011, it makes more sense to buy whatever machine that can run this software.

System requirements for SDL Trados Studio 2011:
SDL Trados Studio 2011 supports Microsoft Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 8.

As a minimum requirement, we recommend a Pentium IV-based computer with 1 GB RAM and a screen resolution of 1280x1024.

For optimum performance, we recommend 2 GB RAM and a more recent Pentium or compatible processor.

More info: http://www.translationzone.com/en/translator-products/sdl-trados-studio/#tab4

That's the requirement. As for current technology, I recommend:

Minimum:
CPU: Core i3
RAM: 2 GB
Software: office 2010 (since this affect the preview function of Trados, office 2013 is not so compatible yet)

Recommended:
CPU: Core i5
RAM: 4 GB
Software: office 2010

Extreme performance:
CPU: Core i7
RAM: 8 GB
Software: office 2010

Screen is important, you spend 90% of your work time staring at it so choose a screen that is good for your eyes. 15 inch or bigger, wide-screen display with good contrast and brightness (in case you have bright environment) would be my recommendation.

I didn't mention CPU speed since it seems that today most CPU have decent speed already, except only for some old models.

I'm using a Dell Inspiron 15z 15,5" laptop, weight about 2.5 kg (heavier than it sounds when carrying, strange)
CPU Core i5
RAM 4 GB
Office 2013

So good luck in your journey finding your suitable device.
Collapse

Rachel Fell
Rachel Fell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:21
French to English
+ ...
Ultrabook? Apr 18, 2013

See if you can find Ultrabooks on offer/reduced price (e.g. with Windows 7): they're lighter but capacious.

Ivano Conte
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
Thank you all! Apr 18, 2013

Châu Nguyễn, I will see something with those requirements.

Rachel Fell, what is the difference between Ultrabook and the other two?

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Notebook VS Netbook

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »