Thread poster: Kirsten Molton
Kirsten Molton
Kirsten Molton
Local time: 21:44
French to English
+ ...
May 14, 2013

Hello,

I currently use Studio 2011 on my PC at home. I bought the double licence as it did not cost much more than the single licence, and I thought that one day I might invest in a laptop so I can work away from home more easily. Indeed, I would now like to enjoy that liberty, only...

I would like to know what other people's experience is with Trados and laptops. Unfortunately, I am not in a position to fork out huge amounts on my laptop. What I need is something FUNCT
... See more
Hello,

I currently use Studio 2011 on my PC at home. I bought the double licence as it did not cost much more than the single licence, and I thought that one day I might invest in a laptop so I can work away from home more easily. Indeed, I would now like to enjoy that liberty, only...

I would like to know what other people's experience is with Trados and laptops. Unfortunately, I am not in a position to fork out huge amounts on my laptop. What I need is something FUNCTIONABLE and RELIABLE at the best price possible.

- What are the minimum requirements for the laptop to be able to run Studio 2011, Internet and Office/LibreOffice without running into problems? In other words, what is the cheapest laptop I can get away with for reliable use of all the basic translation tools for occasional work away from home?

I would be grateful for any input, be it bad or good experiences or more technical help.

Thanks a lot!
Collapse

Paulinho Fonseca
Paulinho Fonseca  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 16:44
Member (2011)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
laptop May 14, 2013

Dear Kirsten Molton,

I have a desk top and laptop both with licenses. I confess I have never used the desk top one. I am most the times away and that really works.

I use a inspiron from dell and I do all the work with it, but back up is really needed, once I might have some problems.

Hope I have helped.

Paulinho

Anna Sarah Krämer
Anna Sarah Krämer
Germany
Member (2011)
English to German
+ ...
Laptop May 14, 2013

I am not sure about the recommendations, but I am running SDL Studio 2011 on a Samsung with intel Core i5 and 6 GB Memory, it runs with Windows 7 and works without any problems, contrary to my previous lower range laptop with just 2 GB working memory and a slower processor. I paid under 700 Euros for it and am very satisfied.

I do remember though, that SDL Studio 2011 should have worked with the old one, but then I do run plenty of applications at same time. However, with SDL Studio
... See more
I am not sure about the recommendations, but I am running SDL Studio 2011 on a Samsung with intel Core i5 and 6 GB Memory, it runs with Windows 7 and works without any problems, contrary to my previous lower range laptop with just 2 GB working memory and a slower processor. I paid under 700 Euros for it and am very satisfied.

I do remember though, that SDL Studio 2011 should have worked with the old one, but then I do run plenty of applications at same time. However, with SDL Studio 2011 it might be useful to find a laptop that is not on the lower limit of the recommendations...especially when you work with larger files.

I also quit using the desktop alltogether - it is so much more comfortable to have everything in one place and movable. That might be a good reason to spend a bit more on a laptop and make it the only device you do your work on...

Check the screen quality before buying anything, your eyes will thank you!

Good luck in finding a usable device!

Best regards,
Anna
Collapse

Kirsten Molton
Kirsten Molton
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
back-up suggestion May 14, 2013

Thanks for your reply, Paulinho!

May I suggest a USB key for temporary back-up? You frighten me!

I use a "Stora" by "Netgear". I have no idea why it's so great any more because I am not tecchy, but my brother is a computer whiz kid and thinks it is the future in back-up technology (unless it's already obsolete!). It also means that my computer has no moving parts. Can give you more info from bro' if you're interested.

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 22:44
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Only laptop plus second screen May 14, 2013

I didn't know there are still people using desktop computers

I use laptops since 2006 for all my work. Currently my machine is a 2 years old HP 4720s Probook with 4 GB and Win7, but Studio run equally well on my previous HP with 2 GB and Vista. I would never buy a machine from the store shelve though, I hate those polished screens who look like a mirror. Pro-class matt screens and at least 17 inch size. I use also a s
... See more
I didn't know there are still people using desktop computers

I use laptops since 2006 for all my work. Currently my machine is a 2 years old HP 4720s Probook with 4 GB and Win7, but Studio run equally well on my previous HP with 2 GB and Vista. I would never buy a machine from the store shelve though, I hate those polished screens who look like a mirror. Pro-class matt screens and at least 17 inch size. I use also a second screen with 19 inch, for viewing pdfs etc. But I could do years with only my laptop.
Collapse

Jo Macdonald
Jo Macdonald  Identity Verified
Spain
Italian to English
+ ...
Watch out for motherboard meltdown May 14, 2013

I've been working on a laptop for years, and it's great.
Studio 2011 ran equally well on my Hp Dv6 (€700) as it does on this Hp Probook 6560b (€1000).
I got the probook because the dv6 had a glossy screen and this will give you redeye. Get a matte screen, 15:6 is a good size. You don't need more than 4Gb RAM unless you're doing graphics.
Also the probook has a built-in HDSPA modem, but you really don't need it. Tethering is good for connecting if you have free Internet on
... See more
I've been working on a laptop for years, and it's great.
Studio 2011 ran equally well on my Hp Dv6 (€700) as it does on this Hp Probook 6560b (€1000).
I got the probook because the dv6 had a glossy screen and this will give you redeye. Get a matte screen, 15:6 is a good size. You don't need more than 4Gb RAM unless you're doing graphics.
Also the probook has a built-in HDSPA modem, but you really don't need it. Tethering is good for connecting if you have free Internet on your phone (check with phone company). If in a low coverage area use a USB extension to hang a dongle modem out of the window so it's not in a concrete or metal box, makes a big difference. Backup with USB stick on the move and external HD at home = no problem.

I've personally had a huge amount of problems with Hp products recently and from searches online it looks like these aren't isolated cases.
- motherboard melted on this "pro"book 1 month after getting the thing
- took Hp service 2 months to fix it, returned with busted display
- local Hp service changed screen broken by Polish Hp service but couldn't sort sound card probs, had to reinstall windows
- motherboard on my daughter's cheapo (€400) Compaq Hp sub-brand PC melted it's motherboard too a few months out of the box
Never had any problems with the dv6, it's still going strong but needs a new battery after 3 years.

If you want a car 12V power pack for an Hp laptop you have to buy an Hp one (€120). Think they have chips in so the PC won't accept a non-Hp one. Maybe check other brands are not up to this trick too.

Heard some good things about Lenoro and Toshiba, I probably won't be buying Hp again.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Advice needed for choosing laptop to run Studio 2011

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »