MikeTrans
MikeTrans
Germany
Local time: 11:27
Italian to German
+ ...
Jan 9, 2014

Hi,

I have a HP Pavilion dv7 notebook with lots of applications installed, 25 % HD occupied, yet I maintain my system and registry on a regular basis.
I have trouble with my BD-ROM drive. It works fine with any commercial CD or DVD (for multimedia, installations etc.), but years ago I did some simple CD burnings and tranfered 1 folder with many sub-folders on some "Verbatim CD-R 48x 700MB" that contain pure data files, no movies or images, but pure .zip, .rar or text files.... See more
Hi,

I have a HP Pavilion dv7 notebook with lots of applications installed, 25 % HD occupied, yet I maintain my system and registry on a regular basis.
I have trouble with my BD-ROM drive. It works fine with any commercial CD or DVD (for multimedia, installations etc.), but years ago I did some simple CD burnings and tranfered 1 folder with many sub-folders on some "Verbatim CD-R 48x 700MB" that contain pure data files, no movies or images, but pure .zip, .rar or text files.

The problem:
BD-ROM reads OK the CD containing the folders with the files; on next boot, BD-ROM is unable to read disk and Windows 7 asks if I want to burn or use the disk as DVD player, no data folder is read and for Windows it appears that the disk is simply empty, which is not the case. Maybe some days later, BD-ROM will read the same disks OK again. A very frustating situation, and it *only* happens with those disks on which I transfered these data, any other disk is OK.
So what's possibly wrong with my BD-ROM (or else!)?

Thanks a lot for any ideas, solutions or suggestions !
Mike

P.S.
Oh sorry, I forgot to mention: my nasty workaround is to run these CDs on my old XP-laptop where all works 100%.

[Edited at 2014-01-09 16:44 GMT]

[SOLVED]
There are disk cleaners which clean the laser lens. I use them not too often (also because I rarely use my BD-ROM), but magically after I used it just now all the folders and data appear again. Sorry for disturbing.

Greets, Mike

[Edited at 2014-01-09 17:08 GMT]
Collapse

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
English to German
CDs are just like living being Jan 10, 2014

MikeTrans wrote:

years ago I did some simple CD burnings and tranfered 1 folder with many sub-folders on some "Verbatim CD-R 48x 700MB"

Home-written CDs (i. e. burned, not pressed ones) are not longterm-reliable, particularly if the were written with high speed (48x). They grow old just like you and me, but sometimes faster.

it *only* happens with those disks on which I transfered these data, any other disk is OK.

Either thoses disks have grown old or you wrote onto them using the dusty laser. Or both. Make a fresh copy now, and – if possible – reduce the writing speed to 16x.

MikeTrans
MikeTrans
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jan 10, 2014

Hi Rolf,
thanks a lot for these details. Seen your response and because these data are important for me (archives etc.) I will transfer the disk contents on a portable Hard Drive (not USB stick). This should be more safe for long-time storing data, do you think so?

Nochmals besten Dank!
Mike

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
English to German
Avoid any single-point-of-failure Jan 11, 2014

MikeTrans wrote:

I will transfer the disk contents on a portable Hard Drive (not USB stick). This should be more safe for long-time storing data, do you think so?

Magnetic discs as such are rather safe.
BUT: If the drive suffers from a head crash, the disc dies. Moreover: If the drive's built-in electonics fails, you'll have no chance to access the disc any more.

Any storage means will fail, tomorrow or in 2030. If data are important, copies must be stored at more than one place. And they must be copied (i. e. refreshed) to new devices, now and then but in good time.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

[Solved] BD-ROM trouble with my notebook

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »