problem with mouse
Thread poster: Simos Tamoglou
Simos Tamoglou
Simos Tamoglou  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 11:57
Italian to Greek
Jan 19, 2005

I would like your help, because I'm having a problem with the mouse of pc: the pc does not "see" the mouse and since last Monday I am working only with the keybord. could somebody help me??? (I'am working with Windows Me, if this is a help for somebody)

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:57
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
What kind of mouse? Jan 19, 2005

PS/2 or USB?
If it is an USB mouse, plug it into a different port.
If you have a PS/2 mouse switch your PC off and please check, if the plug is firmly connected. Do not disconnect or connect PS/2 devices, when your PC is on.

Othewise maybe your mouse is damaged - simply try another one.
If not, maybe the driver got somehow damaged, download the latest driver for your mouse and install it.

HTH
Jerzy

Jørgen Madsen
Jørgen Madsen  Identity Verified
English to Danish
+ ...
Wireless mouse? Jan 19, 2005

At one point, I got a wireless keyboard and a wireless mouse ('cause that's they wanna sell these days), but I got fed up with it quite quickly.
First it was the batteries, then the computer couldn't see the mouse... So I went back to the good old hardwired keyboard and mouse.
When you are so dependent on hardware and software as we are, you can't afford to spend too much time on getting things to work. So choose reliable solutions. That's my advice.
I don't know if that's your
... See more
At one point, I got a wireless keyboard and a wireless mouse ('cause that's they wanna sell these days), but I got fed up with it quite quickly.
First it was the batteries, then the computer couldn't see the mouse... So I went back to the good old hardwired keyboard and mouse.
When you are so dependent on hardware and software as we are, you can't afford to spend too much time on getting things to work. So choose reliable solutions. That's my advice.
I don't know if that's your problem, but if you do have a wireless mouse/keyboard: Throw it out and use hardwired equipment instead.

Jørgen
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Really? Jan 19, 2005

Jørgen Madsen wrote:
I don't know if that's your problem, but if you do have a wireless mouse/keyboard: Throw it out and use hardwired equipment instead.

Jørgen

Well, we are and were using various wireless desktops (keyboard+mouse) from Logitech and Microsoft plus numerous wireless mice from Logitech - with no problems whatsoever. Once they are properly set up, which is a piece of cake both for MS and Logitech, they work very reliable.
I must tell, that Microsoft is less battery cosuming, than Logitech, at least within the used configurations.

Regards
Jerzy

Simos Tamoglou
Simos Tamoglou  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 11:57
Italian to Greek
TOPIC STARTER
re Jan 19, 2005

First of all, you have to forgive me for my english!!!

I am talking about a PS/2 mouse (not wireless). The problem started suddenly, I was working on something Sunday, turn off the pc and Monday morning I didn't had the mouse! I'm watching on the screen the arrow but i can't moove it or make any clics with it.It's a Logitech mouse, if this helps. Now I'm working with the laptop but many of the archives are in the other pc.
I've made a lot of "experiments" with other mouses (w
... See more
First of all, you have to forgive me for my english!!!

I am talking about a PS/2 mouse (not wireless). The problem started suddenly, I was working on something Sunday, turn off the pc and Monday morning I didn't had the mouse! I'm watching on the screen the arrow but i can't moove it or make any clics with it.It's a Logitech mouse, if this helps. Now I'm working with the laptop but many of the archives are in the other pc.
I've made a lot of "experiments" with other mouses (wirless and "traditional") and....nothing at all!!
Maybe is something with Windows???

Thank you for your answers.
Simos
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
It does not look fine Jan 19, 2005

What you could do, is to check via Controll Panel - System - Device Manager (you need to play around, where it is, as I don´t have WinME), if the PS/2 ports are ok.

Check also mouse settings in Controll Panel.
Reinstall the driver...

Well, your problem looks to me more as it would be a hardware one.

Regards
Jerzy

Jørgen Madsen
Jørgen Madsen  Identity Verified
English to Danish
+ ...
In my personal view? Yes! Jan 19, 2005

I still think wireless is crap.
IMHO life's too short for vulnerable solutions without benefits.
I see no advantages in wireless keyboards.
So, why use them?

Jørgen

[Edited at 2005-01-19 16:00]

Sarah Downing
Sarah Downing  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:57
German to English
+ ...
Not all Mice are Nice;-) Jan 20, 2005

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

What you could do, is to check via Controll Panel - System - Device Manager (you need to play around, where it is, as I don´t have WinME), if the PS/2 ports are ok.

Check also mouse settings in Controll Panel.
Reinstall the driver...

Well, your problem looks to me more as it would be a hardware one.

Regards
Jerzy

That was my thought too after reading everything, especially as you've tried out other mice with your computer. So, basically I agree with Jerzy - you need to check the PS/2 ports.

As far as wireless stuff goes, I've had mixed experiences - I've had a wireless mouse and keyboard from Logitech and, pardon my French, but it was bloody awful - every time the battery ran out, if I was very lucky, I could just insert new batteries and it would work straight away, but more often than not I'd have to reconnect both mouse and keyboard and at times it took over 10 minutes, because the receiver used to get the 2 ports mixed up and would first connect mouse and then keyboard, but not both together. I think this is really luck of the draw and that it depends on each individual product.

Well, anyway I got fed-up of waiting ages every time and have now gone back to my Logitech mouseman together with a wireless keyboard and every time I change the batteries I don't need to reconnect, which is just fine and dandy seeing as I don't have time to sit around clicking buttons ...

All the best,

Sarah Downing

Florence Bremond
Florence Bremond  Identity Verified
France
Member (2002)
English to French
+ ...
It could be Me Jan 21, 2005

I've had this problem many times with my old P450 from the moment I upgraded it to Me (upgrade from 98) - until the day I downgraded it to 98.
You might want to check in "System" to make sure that there's no conflict of any kind. Delete the mouse and restart, it should be detected by the system, reinstall the software if needed.

Florence

[Edited at 2005-01-21 18:44]

Horst2
Horst2  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
Try another mouse! Jan 24, 2005

The solution doesn't have to be complicated: try simply another mouse. That worked for me. I guess you have an old one somewhere, do you? Use that to test it.
Regards,
Horst

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

problem with mouse

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »