Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 07:57
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Corsair K70 Aug 10, 2016

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL wrote:

I have tried it and I was impressed... the feel is completely different and much more responsive... he has a Corsair K70... not the cheapest...

Ooh, how lovely!
I see it comes with red or brown switches. Reds are linear, which means they have a completely smooth action, whereas browns are tactile, and have a slight bump or feedback when the key is actuated.
Yes, mechanical keyboards are expensive, but the cost is totally worthwhile. Just think of the number of hours we spend at our keyboards.

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:57
Member (2004)
English to Italian
I will be trying it for longer soon... Aug 10, 2016

Emma Goldsmith wrote:

Ooh, how lovely!
I see it comes with red or brown switches. Reds are linear, which means they have a completely smooth action, whereas browns are tactile, and have a slight bump or feedback when the key is actuated.
Yes, mechanical keyboards are expensive, but the cost is totally worthwhile. Just think of the number of hours we spend at our keyboards.

he is going back to uni at the end of September and will take his laptop with him... so , I'm going to "steal" it for a bit...

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
What the Aug 10, 2016

Emma Goldsmith wrote:

I've been sitting here wondering to myself what the f is a mechanical keyboard, and now I've realised that it's the kind of keyboard I've been using all along (see earlier post) and that makes a clacking noise when you use it. I hadn't realised that some new thing has happened in keyboards that passed me by completely. Now everyone is enthusing about how preferable "mechanical keyboards" are! I'm glad I bypassed that whole experience (he said, typing it out on what is apparently his "mechanical" keyboard).

Emma Goldsmith
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Mechanical/membrane keyboards Aug 10, 2016

Tom in London wrote:

I've been sitting here wondering to myself what the f is a mechanical keyboard, and now I've realised that it's the kind of keyboard I've been using all along (see earlier post) and that makes a clacking noise when you use it. I hadn't realised that some new thing has happened in keyboards that passed me by completely. Now everyone is enthusing about how preferable "mechanical keyboards" are! I'm glad I bypassed that whole experience (he said, typing it out on what is apparently his "mechanical" keyboard).

IBM and Apple keyboards were mechanical in the 1980s, Tom. Then, to bring costs down, everyone was switched to membrane keyboards. They're either mechanical lookalikes or have low profile keys (think of just about any laptop keyboard) - but they're all membrane. Advantages: cheap and quiet. Disadvantages: hard work to type on and usually short-lasting. So you didn't bypass the whole experience, because the Apple Powerbook is a membrane keyboard, albeit rather a good one.

Wikipedia has quite a good article on the differences between membrane and mechanical: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keyboard_technology

Emma Goldsmith
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Enjoy! Aug 10, 2016

he is going back to uni at the end of September and will take his laptop with him... so , I'm going to "steal" it for a bit...

Lucky you! Maybe you could write a review of your experience for the Keyboard Corner.

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
Why not... Aug 10, 2016

Emma Goldsmith wrote:

Lucky you! Maybe you could write a review of your experience for the Keyboard Corner.

at the moment I'm using a Microsoft Wireless Comfort Keyboard 1.0A... it's responsive, comfortable and really sturdy... I've had it a few years... I love the "springiness" of the keys...

41muTxTZGnL

[Edited at 2016-08-10 15:44 GMT]

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Yes but... Aug 10, 2016

Emma Goldsmith wrote:

..... you didn't bypass the whole experience, because the Apple Powerbook is a membrane keyboard, albeit rather a good one.

Yes, but that isn't the keyboard I use now. See other pic I posted.

I used to work with someone who had a motorcycle accident and lost the use of one arm. She used to work with a one-handed keyboard that looked something like this:

maltron

[Edited at 2016-08-10 15:57 GMT]

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Gaming keyboard. Aug 10, 2016

I tested/tried out the gaming keyboard in an IT shop but it was too noisy? So you are saying this one is very wrist and knuckle friendly? Obviously, in an IT shop I can test it only shortly, which is not the same as a long-time test, please share long-term effects on your hand?

[Edited at 2016-08-10 16:04 GMT]

Emma Goldsmith
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Yes Aug 10, 2016

Tom in London wrote:

Yes, but that isn't the keyboard I use now. See other pic I posted.

Yes, I was referring to that picture when I said, "IBM and Apple keyboards were mechanical in the 1980s". When you mentioned its "clacking noise", I thought it couldn't be anything but a mechanical keyboard!

I used to work with someone who had a motorcycle accident and lost the use of one arm. She used to work with a one-handed keyboard that looked something like this:

The Maltron one-handed and two-handed keyboards are fantastic devices. Another translator has promised to write a review of it for the Keyboard Corner in a few weeks.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Thinking Aug 10, 2016

Emma Goldsmith wrote:

The Maltron one-handed and two-handed keyboards are fantastic devices. Another translator has promised to write a review of it for the Keyboard Corner in a few weeks.

I'm thinking: if these one-handed keyboards are really good, then even though I am 2-handed, I might consider using one anyway !

Emma Goldsmith
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
IMO... Aug 10, 2016

Lingua 5B wrote:

I tested/tried out the gaming keyboard in an IT shop but it was too noisy? So you are saying this one is very wrist and knuckle friendly? Obviously, in an IT shop I can test it only shortly, which is not the same as a long-time test, please share long-term effects on your hand?

[Edited at 2016-08-10 16:04 GMT]

I'm not an ergonomics expert, so I can only give you my personal opinion. Mechanical keyboards are lighter to type on, so they reduce finger fatigue. I find them very comfortable, after typing for hours.
In addition to the keyboard, there are many more elements that have an impact on long-term effects (chair, desk height, sitting position, typing technique, mouse, etc.). A combination of all of them bring on / prevent hand/wrist problems. Some ergonomic keyboards are mechanical too, but only at the top of the range: Matias Ergo Pro, Kinesis Advantage, Maltron.

From a noise point of view, you can get pretty quiet mechanical keyboards nowadays. Red switches are quiet. So is the Matias Quiet Pro: http://matias.ca/quietpro/

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Keyboard Corner: Read or write a review of your favourite keyboard

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »