Thread poster: Susana Galilea
Susana Galilea
Susana Galilea  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:24
English to Spanish
+ ...
Mar 18, 2005

I don't own a TV and I am not planning on getting one, but every now and then I find myself craving the convenience of a good movie at home. My PC includes a DVD player, and I wanted to confirm whether it would be safe to view movies on DVD via my computer. Since my livelihood depends on my PC, I want to avoid any use that could harm or overtax the system in any way. I am not technically savvy, and will appreciate any feedback from those of you in the know.

Many thanks in advance... See more
I don't own a TV and I am not planning on getting one, but every now and then I find myself craving the convenience of a good movie at home. My PC includes a DVD player, and I wanted to confirm whether it would be safe to view movies on DVD via my computer. Since my livelihood depends on my PC, I want to avoid any use that could harm or overtax the system in any way. I am not technically savvy, and will appreciate any feedback from those of you in the know.

Many thanks in advance

Susana Galilea
Accredited Translator EN-ES
[email protected]
www.accentonspanish.com

[Edited at 2005-03-18 19:54]
Collapse

Elodie Rousseau
Elodie Rousseau
Mexico
Local time: 09:24
English to French
No problem, I think Mar 18, 2005

Susana,

I have been using my PC to watch DVDs for two years now and didn't have any problems. Although I have a TV, for a while I didn't have a multiregion DVD player (I'm French but living in Mexico), so I watched French DVDs on my laptop, which even has a remote control, seating on my sofa and feeling like home! Then I would put it back to my desk and work as usual.
So I would say you really don't have to worry.

Elodie

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 18:24
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Of course you can Mar 18, 2005

at least if your model is not older than 5 years. The DVD-software should be installed (PowerDVD or comparable). Just put a DVD-movie into the drive and the movie should start automatically.
You can also buy one of the new LCD-TV-monitors, which have a TV-card installed. In fact I translated a manual for one such model.
The sound can be poor though, but you can connect the videocard of your PC with your stereo-equipment.
Regards
Heinrich

[Edited at 2005-03-18 20:27
... See more
at least if your model is not older than 5 years. The DVD-software should be installed (PowerDVD or comparable). Just put a DVD-movie into the drive and the movie should start automatically.
You can also buy one of the new LCD-TV-monitors, which have a TV-card installed. In fact I translated a manual for one such model.
The sound can be poor though, but you can connect the videocard of your PC with your stereo-equipment.
Regards
Heinrich

[Edited at 2005-03-18 20:27]
Collapse

Fuad Yahya
Fuad Yahya  Identity Verified
Arabic
+ ...
No harm to the computer, only strain to your eyes Mar 19, 2005

A 17-inch computer monitor is not really the best medium for watching a 2-hour movie. The picture will be too small to sit comfortably away from the screen.

If you do not wish to have the annoying presence of a television monster in your home (I assume you do not have small children living with you), you can at least get a set to use as a monitor for watching DVDs, not TV. You may even be able to get a TV monitor without a tuner, so you won't get any TV reception, or, if it has a tu
... See more
A 17-inch computer monitor is not really the best medium for watching a 2-hour movie. The picture will be too small to sit comfortably away from the screen.

If you do not wish to have the annoying presence of a television monster in your home (I assume you do not have small children living with you), you can at least get a set to use as a monitor for watching DVDs, not TV. You may even be able to get a TV monitor without a tuner, so you won't get any TV reception, or, if it has a tuner, just do not hook it up to cable, satellite service, or even rabbit antennae. Use it strictly as a monitor for videos.

If you must use a small computer monitor, take breaks to rest your eyes, and use a comfortable seat.
Collapse

Lorena Grancelli
Lorena Grancelli  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 17:24
English to Spanish
PC as TV replacement Mar 19, 2005

Susana:

There's no problem at all.
We do not have a DVD player at home, so my husband connects my laptop to the TV and we watch DVDs that way. We use the TV screen and the computer DVD player.
Good luck!

Lorena

Rosa Maria Duenas Rios (X)
Rosa Maria Duenas Rios (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:24
The thing is... Mar 19, 2005

...if you do not own a TV,watching the movies in your PC screen might not be as comfortable (desk chair vs TV sofa), and you PC screen might be smaller than a TV screen, which will add some strain to your eyes... other than these inconveniences, I don't think you can expect any other problem...

[Edited at 2005-03-20 16:17]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

advice on using PC as TV replacement

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »