Charlotte Blank
Charlotte Blank  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:48
Czech to German
+ ...
May 23, 2005

Hi all,

finally I've made up my mind to buy a notebook (not the most expensive one, though!) and have come across Asus which seems to be a trustworthy company - but nevertheless, I'd like to hear comments from people who have own experience with those notebooks, regarding battery life, service etc. Would you buy it again?

Thank you in advance!

Charlotte

Rahi Moosavi
Rahi Moosavi  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 06:48
Member (2004)
English to Persian (Farsi)
+ ...
Asus A3500N May 23, 2005

Hi

I have an Asus A3500N notebook, centrino 1.6, 15" XGA, DVD combo, wireless IEEE, 60GB HDD, 512 MB RAM and love it!

I've quite light (2.6 kg's) the battery life is regular (around 4 hours, if you use it's Power4 Gear mode in some certain ways, the life is around 5~6 hours)and the dimentions are very good (quite thin)

Mine also has a built in webcam and microphone.

I have no problems with it all. The model I have may be a bit old and they hav
... See more
Hi

I have an Asus A3500N notebook, centrino 1.6, 15" XGA, DVD combo, wireless IEEE, 60GB HDD, 512 MB RAM and love it!

I've quite light (2.6 kg's) the battery life is regular (around 4 hours, if you use it's Power4 Gear mode in some certain ways, the life is around 5~6 hours)and the dimentions are very good (quite thin)

I have no problems with it all. The model I have may be a bit old and they have many newer models out there but the price was reasonable enough for me.

Send me an email if you need more specific info.

Regards,

Rahi
Collapse

Catherine Bolton
Catherine Bolton  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
I'm very happy with mine May 23, 2005

Hi there! I've got one too and have been quite happy with it. The fan is a tad noisy, but you get used to that quickly.
My model is about 3 years old (A1300) and I've never had any trouble. Battery life is about 3.5-4 hours, depending on what you're running of course!
HTH
Catherine

Massimo Rippa
Massimo Rippa  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
My experience May 23, 2005

I bought a slim, compact and lightwawe Asus M 1300 Pentium III 800 with Windows 2000 as OS in 2001 and it proved to be a wonderful machine. For more than 2 years it was my main workstation, with external monitor and keyboard attached and I had only a few chrashes since then (which I think is evidence of very good ventilation and heat disspiation, a parameter that you have to carefully evaluate when you buy a laptop). Compatibility with external devices and GSM/UMTS modems or wireless cards is ex... See more
I bought a slim, compact and lightwawe Asus M 1300 Pentium III 800 with Windows 2000 as OS in 2001 and it proved to be a wonderful machine. For more than 2 years it was my main workstation, with external monitor and keyboard attached and I had only a few chrashes since then (which I think is evidence of very good ventilation and heat disspiation, a parameter that you have to carefully evaluate when you buy a laptop). Compatibility with external devices and GSM/UMTS modems or wireless cards is excellent. A few weeks ago anyway, I stareted to have serious problems with the screen, and now I can use it only with an external monitor attached. Support for Asus is not satisfatory in my country, since authorized repair labs are ubicated only in Northern Italy and I am reluctant to send my machine there by courier/mail. Anyway I used it for almost four years with the main applications for translators and CAT tools and I think it acted wonderfully (more than one milion and an half words translated with it!).Collapse

mckinnc
mckinnc  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
The Sony connection May 23, 2005

I understand that Asus build some laptops for Sony, so what that means is you get the same kind of build quality for less money.

eirinn
eirinn  Identity Verified
Canada
English to French
+ ...
Asus MN6e May 26, 2005

Very happy with it, especially with the wide screen. And it's lighter than my previous one (HP).

The only thing I should have done when I got it but didn't is to reinstall Windows when I got it (IRQ ressources might have been better used) but I'll do that when I have time.

Oh, and something else. I couldn't figure how to change both RAM's. I could access one from the back, but I had no clue where the second one is. Well, you need to unscrew some tiny screws on the back,
... See more
Very happy with it, especially with the wide screen. And it's lighter than my previous one (HP).

The only thing I should have done when I got it but didn't is to reinstall Windows when I got it (IRQ ressources might have been better used) but I'll do that when I have time.

Oh, and something else. I couldn't figure how to change both RAM's. I could access one from the back, but I had no clue where the second one is. Well, you need to unscrew some tiny screws on the back, lift the keyboard itself, and you have access to the second RAM port "on the top", so to speak. The only trouble is that I had to drive 3 hours and back to the nearest Asus shop to find this out, as Asus support actually never answered my email (and I wouldn't play with the screws of my laptop without knowing what I'm exactly doing). The Asus reseller said that their laptops are really good, but their Technical support is not that good at answering, at least in France.
Collapse

eirinn
eirinn  Identity Verified
Canada
English to French
+ ...
PS: About the fan May 26, 2005

it's waaaay quieter than my older HP, and runs less often as well. That's a big plus.

takis11
takis11
English
a3500n Jun 3, 2005

Rahi Moosavi wrote:

Hi

I have no problems with it all. The model I have may be a bit old and they have many newer models out there but the price was reasonable enough for me.

Send me an email if you need more specific info.

Regards,

Rahi

hi rahi i am thinking of bying an asus a3500n too, i want to know is it noisy ? have you tried it with photoshop, how does it behave?

thank you

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Anybody with Asus Notebook?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »