Best Tablet for Interpreting and Translating
Thread poster: Clare Rubin
Clare Rubin
Clare Rubin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:08
Spanish to English
Oct 1, 2018

I have a Lenovo B8000 which is incompatible with Word, Google Sheets and most things and would like to update. I am keen to hear any recommendations for models, please.

I am considering a Surface Go as you can get a keyboard cover and mouse for it for possible CAT work and it looks like you can do consecutive notes using a stylus.

I am less keen on iPads.

Thanks for any input in advance.

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Surface Go is Good Oct 1, 2018

Molly Clare Rubin wrote:
I am considering a Surface Go as you can get a keyboard cover and mouse for it for possible CAT work and it looks like you can do consecutive notes using a stylus.

I have just bought a Surface Go. It's... well, like a slightly smaller Surface. Really nice, actually, super-portable and the snap-on keyboard is very usable. I am not using a CAT tool on it, but it seems to run Microsoft Office fine. I didn't get the stylus, but I imagine it works like the one on the Surface, i.e. very well in apps like OneNote. It's only a 10-inch screen, so bear that in mind. Mine is the faster of the two Surface Go versions, please note.

Dan

Lian Pang

Clare Rubin
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Sounds good. Oct 1, 2018

Thanks, Dan for your input. Good to hear this review.

The Surface Go seems very reasonably priced in comparison to the Pro.

Dan Lucas
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Neither is cheap Oct 1, 2018

Molly Clare Rubin wrote:
The Surface Go seems very reasonably priced in comparison to the Pro.

Perhaps, but the Pro is in itself a premium machine. You could get a decent laptop for the same price as a fully specced Go, so to justify it you have to want the things that make the Surface what it is - Windows, supreme portability, detachable keyboard etc.

Dan

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
Local time: 15:08
English to German
Windows, Android or iOS - that's the question Oct 2, 2018

Dan Lucas wrote:

the things that make the Surface what it is - Windows, supreme portability, detachable keyboard etc.

There are many non-Microsoft tablets that offer all these things as well. Prices range from 199 € incl keyboard.

The very first decision point should be the operating System - Windows, Android or iOS. And of course the screen size.

Clare Rubin

Dan Lucas
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
That's always been true Oct 2, 2018

Rolf Keller wrote:
There are many non-Microsoft tablets that offer all these things as well. Prices range from 199 € incl keyboard.

There are always competitors, and there are always cheaper suppliers. Users should balance the risks of buying from a relatively unknown supplier, and perhaps compromises in terms of usability and convenience on the one hand, against a lower initial (purchase) price on the other hand.

In my case I have experience of the Surface product line, so it was an easy choice. Saving a few hundred euros to buy a product that is probably going to provide an inferior experience (by my personal standards) was not an attractive option.

My advice to the OP would be to find a retail outlet where she can try a Surface Go in real life, if she is still interested. As the Surface is a popular product, that shouldn't be too difficult.

Dan

Clare Rubin

Clare Rubin
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Surface Go is Go Go Go! Oct 2, 2018

Just got a good deal on a Surface Go plus cover and Office Personal. I appreciate everyone's feedback.

Dan Lucas

Lian Pang
Lian Pang  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2018)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Can it run MemoQ ? Feb 22, 2019

Dan Lucas wrote:

Molly Clare Rubin wrote:

I have just bought a Surface Go. It's... well, like a slightly smaller Surface. Really nice, actually, super-portable and the snap-on keyboard is very usable. I am not using a CAT tool on it, but it seems to run Microsoft Office fine. I didn't get the stylus, but I imagine it works like the one on the Surface, i.e. very well in apps like OneNote. It's only a 10-inch screen, so bear that in mind. Mine is the faster of the two Surface Go versions, please note.

Dan

Hello Dan !

I am looking to get a tablet that can run memoQ . I travel quite a bit and have a "gaming" laptop on which I also deal with work, but that's too heavy .

The price of Surface pro is a tad too steep. Can surface go run memoQ ?

[Edited at 2019-02-22 09:54 GMT]

Daniel Frisano
Daniel Frisano  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
Another option Feb 22, 2019

When I travel light I take this baby with me:

https://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/tablets/galaxy-book/galaxy-book-12--windows-2-in-1-pc--wi-fi---silver-sm-w720nzkaxar/

Solid performance. Not cheap.

Dan Lucas
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
I would think so Feb 22, 2019

Lian Pang wrote:
The price of Surface pro is a tad too steep. Can surface go run memoQ ?

I was assigned a temporary license for memoQ for a specific (and fairly large) project some time ago and the Surface handled that without problems. I run SDL Studio on it for hours every day, and that is probably more demanding than memoQ.

Dan

Lian Pang
Imam Mustaqim

Lian Pang
Lian Pang  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2018)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Quick update Mar 11, 2019

Thank you Dan and Daniel for your suggestions.

I got a surface go base model (4gb ram) and a microSD memory card.

I have been using it for the last week and it works wonderfully. MemoQ runs without a problem, MS office is smooth, bright & colorful display. The battery can be better but I can charge it with a power bank via USB C port.
I even managed to do in-home streaming on surface go.

Awesome secondary device!

linwei
linwei  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 07:08
English to French
follow up query Jan 26, 2023

Hello, Lian and others

Do you know if it's possible use a stylus/pencil to handwrite on the tablet and input that in memoQ rather than type on a keybopard?

Thanks in advance for any reply

Lian Pang wrote:

Thank you Dan and Daniel for your suggestions.

I got a surface go base model (4gb ram) and a microSD memory card.

I have been using it for the last week and it works wonderfully. MemoQ runs without a problem, MS office is smooth, bright & colorful display. The battery can be better but I can charge it with a power bank via USB C port.
I even managed to do in-home streaming on surface go.

Awesome secondary device!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Best Tablet for Interpreting and Translating

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »