Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 07:07
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Dec 17, 2020

Hello everyone

I need a computer to use for when I'm away on holiday or not at home with my desktop computer. It must be a Windows computer that can run CAT tools etc. My current laptops are too old for this. Even with a laptop, I'd still be using a mouse and an external standard-size keyboard, and in 99% of cases I'd be near a power source.

However, I don't want to spend too much money on a computer that I will use less than 5% of the time. So I've also been looki
... See more
Hello everyone

I need a computer to use for when I'm away on holiday or not at home with my desktop computer. It must be a Windows computer that can run CAT tools etc. My current laptops are too old for this. Even with a laptop, I'd still be using a mouse and an external standard-size keyboard, and in 99% of cases I'd be near a power source.

However, I don't want to spend too much money on a computer that I will use less than 5% of the time. So I've also been looking at alternative computer solutions, namely SBCs (single-board computers) and HTPCs (small form-factor computers). I do have a portable monitor, so this might be a perfect fit.

Does anyone here use an SBC or small computer for translation work? What were your experiences?

Right now I'm looking at these options:
- UDOO x86 Advanced Plus, approx. EUR 220 (4 GB RAM)
- LattePanda Alpha, approx. EUR 220 (4 GB RAM)
- Odyssey X86J4105, approx. EUR 280 (8 GB RAM)
- Zotac ZBOX CI341, approx. EUR 260 (8 GB RAM)
- Zotac ZBOX BI329-E, approx. EUR 230 (8 GB RAM)

...all of which run Windows 10 and apparently quite well. They all have more or less the same CPU and graphics capabilities. You can't get more RAM on them, but you can often add multiple storage options e.g. M.2 or SATA, and of course you can connect (and even boot from) an external USD 3 hard drive, too.

(I've also looked at barebones small computers, e.g. ASrock DeskMini X300, but since they come without a processor, and you therefore have to buy the processor separately (e.g. Ryzen 3), they don't cost less than EUR 300. And building the smallest computer possible using just parts isn't an option either, and doesn't get me to under EUR 250, mostly due to the fact that you need a large power supply unit.)

The best laptop in this price range is the Lenovo IdeaPad 3 14ADA05 (EUR 310) which has a similar CPU as the SBCs but it lacks connectivity (HDMI only, and no USB-C) and it is limited to a single internal storage unit. This is perhaps one advantage of small form-factor computers: they abound with useful, potentially future-proof holes.

Thanks
Samuel

PS: The last time I went on holiday, I packed my old Aspire X3470, a mouse, keyboard, cables and portable monitor into a small suitcase, and it worked fine, but it is bulky and weighs 10 kg, and of course you mustn't drop it:

portable computer

[Edited at 2020-12-17 11:23 GMT]
Collapse

Anton Konashenok
Anton Konashenok  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
French to English
+ ...
Get a laptop Dec 17, 2020

I have experimented with various things, coming back to tried and trusted laptops every time, which is what I recommend. However, don't get a cheap new notebook, get a used business class one. My main working machine that sits on my desk when I'm at home and travels with me anywhere I go is a Thinkpad T530, i7-3630QM CPU, 8 GB RAM, 500 GB SSD. Back in 2013 it cost me the thick end of €2000, now it's worth some €300 on eBay. The keyboard eventually wears out mechanically, so I have replaced i... See more
I have experimented with various things, coming back to tried and trusted laptops every time, which is what I recommend. However, don't get a cheap new notebook, get a used business class one. My main working machine that sits on my desk when I'm at home and travels with me anywhere I go is a Thinkpad T530, i7-3630QM CPU, 8 GB RAM, 500 GB SSD. Back in 2013 it cost me the thick end of €2000, now it's worth some €300 on eBay. The keyboard eventually wears out mechanically, so I have replaced it twice by now (2 x €50 or so). The machine is otherwise working perfectly, has never let me down, and is sufficiently fast for anything I do. Even the battery is still the same and has some 2/3 or 3/4 of its original capacity.Collapse

Dan Lucas
Daryo

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:07
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Laptops/mini PCs both expensive Dec 18, 2020

Anton Konashenok wrote:
My main working machine that sits on my desk when I'm at home and travels with me anywhere I go is a Thinkpad T530

Agreed, these are great laptops. My mother is still using the W520 I bought back in early 2012. It just keeps going and is fine. I used a Microsoft Surface Pro for nearly three years, but it's essentially unrepairable so if you have problems, such as the battery swelling, the likelihood of you being able to fix it is very low. On that basis the Surface was an expensive experiment. Next time I buy a laptop it will likely be a Thinkpad T series.

Samuel - I can't help with mini PCs specifically, sorry, but I am watching with interest. In the past I have investigated Intel's various NUC offerings (and similar products from other manufacturers) but they ended up looking a lot more expensive than an equivalent desktop. That might have been because I was going for CPUs at the higher end but then again with an NUC or equivalent, you're paying for that clever miniaturisation, and with a laptop you're paying for the screen, so I would avoid both types of PC.

My choice would be a small desktop. Back in the summer I bought a barely used small form factor ex-corporate PC for £160, added an extra stick of DRAM for £30, and am now using it full time for work. It's only a lowly i3-6100 but to my surprise it has absolutely no problems in daily use with Studio. (Maybe I shouldn't have been surprised - it's only got two cores, but on the other hand they're clocked at 3.7GHz.) Why not look at companies such as Bargain Hardware (or similar suppliers in your country) with a view to getting a refurbished model? You should be able to source something basic but adequate for £200 or less.

EDIT Samuel, my apologies, for some reason I was thinking that you wanted a PC in a second home or similar. Obviously if you're just talking about general holidays then even a SFF PC isn't at all appropriate and a laptop or palm-sized PC is the way to go. Should learn not to post until I have woken up properly...

Regards,
Dan

[Edited at 2020-12-18 07:47 GMT]

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Dan Dec 18, 2020

Dan Lucas wrote:
For some reason I [first thought] that you wanted a PC in a second home or similar. Obviously if you're just talking about general holidays then even a SFF PC isn't at all appropriate and a laptop or palm-sized PC is the way to go.

Yes, I'm thinking of AirBNB long weekends where a client sends an urgent request that I'm able to squeeze in before breakfast, or week-long holidays where the missus sleeps until 11 and then we go do something fun in the afternoon (so there's no reason why the mornings and evenings can't be productive), or summer holidays where we don't stay in one location for more than 3-4 days.

So, it must be relatively small, relatively light-weight, and able to run Windows 10 plus Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast, MS Word and a browser. 4 GB RAM should actually be enough, although my list has options for 8 GB, too. I'm not 101% tech-savvy w.r.t. processors, so I let myself be lead by the cpubenchmark.net scores, with a score above 2000 being sufficient. A small laptop could be fine, but modern small laptops are built with physical thinness and minimal power consumption in mind, so they tend to be deliberately slower.

I looked around at refurbished laptops, and what I'm satisfied with (except for the price) are:
* Thinkpad X260, 14", 1366x768, CPU is 6 years old, CPU score 3200, EUR 400
* Thinkpad T550, 15", 1920x1080, CPU is 6 years old, CPU score 3000, EUR 600

In the past I have investigated Intel's various NUC offerings (and similar products from other manufacturers) but they ended up looking a lot more expensive than an equivalent desktop. That might have been because I was going for CPUs at the higher end...

Yes, the SBCs listed previously don't have high specifications but they should all be fine for just translator stuff. SBCs aren't really intended for desktop use but are actually meant for hobbyists and scientists who want to add a computer to a toy or a device cheaply. I'm sure a Raspberry PI would have been fine for me (EUR 100) if it weren't for the fact that I need Windows 10.

PS. I've noticed that the term "small form-factor" is too broad -- it includes everything from stick computers (10 cm x 5 cm) to shoe box computers (30 cm x 30 cm). I want something flat[ish].

[Edited at 2020-12-18 12:53 GMT]

Philippe Locquet
Philippe Locquet  Identity Verified
Portugal
English to French
+ ...
Stick? Dec 18, 2020

I would definitely stay away from SBCs, they involve tinkering and are not necessarily aimed at portability.

Get a Zotac.

If you wan another alternative, I would advise to check stick computers.
They are an HDMI stick. You plug the computer in the HDMI port of the TV/Computer, power is had from USB or a charger. Fits in your pocket. I've seen 4GB models with modern chips (cherry trail). Asus makes them too.
If you do this, make sure to remove all Windows jun
... See more
I would definitely stay away from SBCs, they involve tinkering and are not necessarily aimed at portability.

Get a Zotac.

If you wan another alternative, I would advise to check stick computers.
They are an HDMI stick. You plug the computer in the HDMI port of the TV/Computer, power is had from USB or a charger. Fits in your pocket. I've seen 4GB models with modern chips (cherry trail). Asus makes them too.
If you do this, make sure to remove all Windows junk with powershell and all other bloatwares. Use StopUpdates to control updates behaviour, this should make the machine responsive.
If you're not into that, get a Zotac with 8GB

You already have your portable peripherals correct?

here's an example of PC stick with 8 GB of RAM the ACEPC T6(8+120)PRO (click on the 8GB model): https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0874K7M24/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_RUm3FbXNBWGD7?_encoding=UTF8&th=1

[Edited at 2020-12-18 15:38 GMT]
Collapse

Anton Konashenok
Anton Konashenok  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
French to English
+ ...
More on Thinkpads Dec 18, 2020

Samuel Murray wrote:

I looked around at refurbished laptops, and what I'm satisfied with (except for the price) are:
* Thinkpad X260, 14", 1366x768, CPU is 6 years old, CPU score 3200, EUR 400
* Thinkpad T550, 15", 1920x1080, CPU is 6 years old, CPU score 3000, EUR 600

You don't really need a recent CPU. In the last 8 years or so, typical performance of laptop CPUs hasn't increased much; the improvement mostly went the way of energy efficiency. So, if you are going to have a power outlet nearby most of the time, you may well go for a T520/T420/X220 or T530/T430/X230, depending on your keyboard preferences (frustum-shaped in the former, chicklet-shaped in the latter; chicklet models seem to be somewhat less durable if you type a lot). However, each model was available with several different CPUs, and this is where you can (and probably should) go for the faster ones. For example, T530 had 9 CPU options from i3-2370M with a CPUmark performance score of 1282 to i7-3820QM with a score of 5871. I have an i7-3630QM with a CPUmark of 5104, and it runs fairly fast even on today's standards. You can just choose any i7, or if you want a detailed comparison, go to CPUbenchmark.net.

What is very important for performance is a solid state disk. If the laptop you choose doesn't have one, just buy it separately and swap. A new 120 GB disk costs under €20.

[Edited at 2020-12-18 19:13 GMT]

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks everyone Dec 18, 2020

Samuel Murray wrote:
* Thinkpad X260 ...
* Thinkpad T550 ...

I was tempted to go the laptop route but eventually went for an HTPC. I'll report my findings later.

Gigabyte Barebone BRIX - GB-BPCE-3455 with Celeron J3455 (4 core) and HD Graphics 500.
CPU score = 2263. Cost: EUR 139.
It takes 2 x DDR3L up to 1866 MHz (16 GB max), and a 2.5" SATA III drive. One must buy RAM and storage extra. I got me a single 8 GB 1600 MHz chip for EUR 40 and a 480 GB SSD for EUR 50.

The box measures 12 x 11 x 5.5 cm. It has only one combined headphone/microphone jack (so I bought a splitter for EUR 10) and it doesn't have USB-C (so I bought a converter for EUR 10 and I hope it's the right kind of converter). It has 4 x USB-A 3.0, VGA and HDMI (and you can use both simultaneously), LAN, Wi-Fi and Bluetooth, and an SD card slot. I'm not sure if there's a fan.

Philippe Locquet

Philippe Locquet
Philippe Locquet  Identity Verified
Portugal
English to French
+ ...
Repurpose laptop as TM server Dec 19, 2020

Samuel Murray wrote:
My current laptops are too old for this.

Depending on how you use your TMs, that may be an opportunity to setup remote TMs and glossaries at zero cost.
If one of your old laptops is not used for mission critical stuff, it could be repurposed easily as a TM and Gloss server. Freelancers can setup Wordfast Server for free up to 3 clients connected simultaneously.
In effect you could have your TMs and Gloss stored on the old laptop and you could access them and update them live as you translate with your fixed computer and the same while on the move with your future roam box.
Wordfast Server TMs and Glossaries can be accessed form all Wordfast CATs, and MemoQ. From SDL 2019 you can add a plugin and also sync with the TM (not gloss though).
Requirements:
Laptop hosting WFS needs to stay on all the time
Download and install WFS software on the laptop (Windows only).
Allow WFS traffic in and out in firewall rules on the host machine
On your router, create a DMZ on the laptop hosting WFS
Then it’s just setting up the TMs, glossaries, accounts etc. in WFS, easy.
If I had to juggle between CATs and be on the move and have a laptop available handy, I would do just that! As a matter of fact I have a somewhat similar setup and it rocks!
Be well

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
BYO mini-ITX Dec 19, 2020

Samuel Murray wrote:
I eventually went for an HTPC.

After some more googling (and since Google "knows" what I'm looking for on all other platforms, too), I chanced upon a site that sells mini-ITX components with which one could put together a silent 20 x 20 x 7 cm computer for about EUR 300. This is about 3x as big as the HTPC that I bought, but still small enough to be luggable. The main advantage of a build-your-own computer like this would be expandability (e.g. buy a bigger case later and add more storage).

Motherboard with onboard processor, 3700 CPU score: EUR 126
https://www.mini-itx.com/~J5040-ITX
Must add RAM (2 x SODIMM, max 32 GB), e.g. 8 GB RAM: EUR 52
Case 7 x 20 x 20 cm: EUR 43
https://www.mini-itx.com/~M5X
Must add power supply: EUR 52
Must add storage (SATA III)
Must add Wi-Fi/Bluetooth (M.2 slot available)
May also need to buy some cables

Philippe Locquet
Dan Lucas

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SBCs and HTPCs for translators

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »