Andrea Re
Andrea Re  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:04
English to Italian
+ ...
Oct 26, 2005

Hi all,

sorry to bother you with a personal query which has nothing to do with translating.

I have the following problem: I need to load a certain version of DOS (6.22 or above) into a new computer that has been previously stripped of Windows.
My question is: how do I get the CD ROM to work if the first thing I need to do is to get rid of windows?
Also, how can I be sure that the serial and parallel port will work? To add an extra problem, the mother board h
... See more
Hi all,

sorry to bother you with a personal query which has nothing to do with translating.

I have the following problem: I need to load a certain version of DOS (6.22 or above) into a new computer that has been previously stripped of Windows.
My question is: how do I get the CD ROM to work if the first thing I need to do is to get rid of windows?
Also, how can I be sure that the serial and parallel port will work? To add an extra problem, the mother board has to have an additional serial port which has been connected, but probably needs configuring.
This is a computer that has to drive an XY table and for it to work Windows has to be TOTALLY uninstalled.

I don't know if I managed to express myself....

Thanks in advance.

Andrea
Collapse

meladui
meladui
Local time: 21:04
Italian to English
+ ...
formatta l'hard disk! Oct 26, 2005

In genere quando si compra un nuovo sistema operativo, quando si inserisce il cd-rom questo dà l'opzione di formattare il disco rigido.
Non so se questo sia vero anche col DOS (non sapevo che fosse ancora in circolazione) ma presumo che tu possa utilizzare il disco di sistema di un altro sistema operativo (come linux, che puoi scaricare gratis da internet) per formattare il disco ed eventualmente partizionarlo, e poi installare dos senza che rimanga traccia di windows.

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Take an old HDD or better buy the cheapest one you can find Oct 26, 2005

as any of them will nowadays be far to big for DOS, install it in your PC instead of the one with Windows.
Now you will be able to install DOS. When installed, you will need CD-ROM driver. As for serial and parallel port, they should work without a need to install anything, as far they are configurated in BIOS.

But the time I have played with DOS is so long ago, that I simply don´t remember much more.

Regards
Jerzy

Jaroslaw Michalak
Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
Maybe emulation... Oct 26, 2005

Maybe it would be possible to run the software you need (if that is the reason) with a PC emulator. The best one, I think, is DOSBox http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/ , but there are others...

[Edited at 2005-10-26 11:04]

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
MSCDEX, AFAIK Oct 26, 2005

Andrea Re wrote:

I haven't done a DOS install in a long time, but I think you need to have MSCDEX /D or /E in your autoexec.bat. Google for it.

PAS
PAS  Identity Verified
Polish to English
+ ...
Nit-picking at details Oct 26, 2005

Andrea Re wrote:
I need to load a certain version of DOS (6.22 or above)
uote]

6.22 was the last version of DOS before Windows 95 came out...

Also, DOS loaded from 3 floppy disks, so you do not need the CD ROM drive initially, and (if I recall correctly), there are CD ROM drivers on the floppies.

So you need a floppy drive to install the DOS, and a HDD not bigger than 2 GB, I think.

I kept copies of all this stuff somewhere on a CD for posterity's sake... (as illegal as this may be) If you need them, drop me a line.

Pawel Skalinski
Warsaw, Poland

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

No Windows; DOS and CD ROM (OT, but no play):

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »