I'm about to buy a new desktop- advice welcome
Thread poster: Jennifer Baker
Jennifer Baker
Jennifer Baker  Identity Verified
United States
Italian to English
Jul 26, 2006

Hi all,
I am about to return to the US and am going to buy a new desktop while I'm there. I've been researching a while, and I have a few questions.
I think I've pretty much figured out the technical specs that I need from reading past forum entries and surfing the Net. My questions are:
Has anyone used the new compact desktops? I'm convinced that this is a good solution for me because of space and travel issues. I would appreciate anyone's personal experience with the compacts
... See more
Hi all,
I am about to return to the US and am going to buy a new desktop while I'm there. I've been researching a while, and I have a few questions.
I think I've pretty much figured out the technical specs that I need from reading past forum entries and surfing the Net. My questions are:
Has anyone used the new compact desktops? I'm convinced that this is a good solution for me because of space and travel issues. I would appreciate anyone's personal experience with the compacts as opposed to the classcic towers.
Does anyone know anything about Lenovo computers? So far, I've narrowed it down to Dell, HP and Lenovo(IBM). Dell is on the pricey side for the same specs I can get in the other two brands, and Lenovo seems to have rave reviews all over the Web. I was hoping someone might have some hands-on experience. All three have adequate service available in Europe.
And anything else that comes to mind would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks to everyone in advance.

Jennifer
Collapse

Rosa Maria Duenas Rios (X)
Rosa Maria Duenas Rios (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:19
Have you checked the Gateway Profile "all-in-one" Jul 26, 2006

Hi Jennifer,

It seems that you have your mind pretty much made up, but since you asked about anything else that might come to mind, I just want to tell you that since 2001 I have been working on a Gateway Profile computer (called "all-in-one"), and I love it.

I relocate relatively frequently, so with each move I just pack it in its original box, take it with me as registered baggage, and have my "office" ready as soon as I arrive to my destination (no need to use the l
... See more
Hi Jennifer,

It seems that you have your mind pretty much made up, but since you asked about anything else that might come to mind, I just want to tell you that since 2001 I have been working on a Gateway Profile computer (called "all-in-one"), and I love it.

I relocate relatively frequently, so with each move I just pack it in its original box, take it with me as registered baggage, and have my "office" ready as soon as I arrive to my destination (no need to use the laptop).

It is NOT a laptop, but it does not have the bothersome, bulky CPU. I think Gateway just launched their Profile 6, which must be between US $1,400 and $2,000, depending on how you configure it. However, I am not sure if you can get service in Europe.
Collapse

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:19
Flemish to English
+ ...
No brand Jul 26, 2006

For technical info : www.motherboards.org.
A computer put together according to my own specifications suits me fine. You might consider a RAID-system inserted in trays, whereby two hard-disks are working as one. If one fails, you can immediately remove it, insert another hard-disk and make a back-up or a system with an internal and an external hd. No brand computers usually sell at about 500-600$, al
... See more
For technical info : www.motherboards.org.
A computer put together according to my own specifications suits me fine. You might consider a RAID-system inserted in trays, whereby two hard-disks are working as one. If one fails, you can immediately remove it, insert another hard-disk and make a back-up or a system with an internal and an external hd. No brand computers usually sell at about 500-600$, altough RAID will be around 800$
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 08:19
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
I do not have any experience with Lenovo... Jul 26, 2006

But I own a Dell desktop (Dimension 9150).
I must admit, that I have expected more - the system comes configured and you need to be semi-expert to apply your own changes. And more - if you should ever want to upgrade it, you will get problems. So buy a Dell, when you mean you won´t change anything in it. Other aspects are quite okay with Dell.

As for the so called barebones - if the specs are ok you can go for it IMO.
Consider also the Apple Mac Mini - it comes shipped
... See more
But I own a Dell desktop (Dimension 9150).
I must admit, that I have expected more - the system comes configured and you need to be semi-expert to apply your own changes. And more - if you should ever want to upgrade it, you will get problems. So buy a Dell, when you mean you won´t change anything in it. Other aspects are quite okay with Dell.

As for the so called barebones - if the specs are ok you can go for it IMO.
Consider also the Apple Mac Mini - it comes shipped with Intel chip: http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wo/0.RSLID?mco=37CDA12F&nclm=Macmini
The price is very affordable and it is a sub-PC - very nice indeed.

Regards
Jerzy
Collapse

Aleksandr Okunev (X)
Aleksandr Okunev (X)
Local time: 09:19
English to Russian
Check the noise Jul 26, 2006

Check which and how many fans it has.
Switch it on and listen to the fans.
Noise can drive you nuts.
Cheers
Aleksandr

sarahl (X)
sarahl (X)
Local time: 23:19
English to French
+ ...
emachines Jul 26, 2006

BestBuy sells emachines, which are basically computers they throw together using regular, brand-new parts. They're cheaper than brand name computers and just as reliable. They also come with a guarantee. I highly recommend them.

Jennifer Baker
Jennifer Baker  Identity Verified
United States
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Yes... Jul 27, 2006

Hi Sarah-
My laptop is an E-machine and I'm totally happy with it- I even got a big 17" screen for a great price. Their desktops are quite big, though...

Ana Kardum
Ana Kardum  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 08:19
German to Croatian
+ ...
IBM/Lenovo Jul 27, 2006

Well, I have two IBM/Lenovo computers (desktop and notebook) and I am really satisfied with them (especially with the desktop). The reason why I decided to purchase a brand name desktop is the 3-year warranty and technical support and less hassle with computers. Just check what you exactly need...it will probably cost sligtly more than non-brand, but it might save you time and costs in the future. In my view, it is better solution for a small office. Compact desktop seems to be a good idea to me... See more
Well, I have two IBM/Lenovo computers (desktop and notebook) and I am really satisfied with them (especially with the desktop). The reason why I decided to purchase a brand name desktop is the 3-year warranty and technical support and less hassle with computers. Just check what you exactly need...it will probably cost sligtly more than non-brand, but it might save you time and costs in the future. In my view, it is better solution for a small office. Compact desktop seems to be a good idea to me as well.
As Jerzy said, if you want to upgrade your computer, you might face additional costs...so it all depends on what kind of computer you need. Non-brand is maybe better in that case, but you can count with more problems and more maintenance.

Good luck with your purchase!

[Edited at 2006-07-27 12:43]
Collapse

Susana Galilea
Susana Galilea  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:19
English to Spanish
+ ...
link Jul 27, 2006

In case environmental concerns are a factor in your decision, here's an article I just came across:

http://www.greenpeace.org/international/news/dellremovestoxicschemicals260606

Happy shopping,

Susana

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I'm about to buy a new desktop- advice welcome

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »