rek21
rek21
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:58
Spanish to English
+ ...
Aug 1, 2006

Hello!

I would like to use my Acer Travelmate 4100 with a Microsoft Natural Multimedia keyboard but it just won't work.

The keyboard has a PS/2 connection so I bought a PS/2 > USB converter (my laptop only has USB connections), but I cannot type using the MS keyboard, only the laptop's own. The Num Lock lights come on the keyboard when I plug it into the laptop, so there is definitely some sort of connection...

I've installed the drivers and apparently it's
... See more
Hello!

I would like to use my Acer Travelmate 4100 with a Microsoft Natural Multimedia keyboard but it just won't work.

The keyboard has a PS/2 connection so I bought a PS/2 > USB converter (my laptop only has USB connections), but I cannot type using the MS keyboard, only the laptop's own. The Num Lock lights come on the keyboard when I plug it into the laptop, so there is definitely some sort of connection...

I've installed the drivers and apparently it's all there in the Control Panel, so why does nothing show up when I type?

This is the last thing I need to configure to be able to use my laptop just as I used my PC before, and I just can't figure it out.

If anybody can offer any help, thanks very much in advance.

Collapse

Silvia Oviedo Lopez
Silvia Oviedo Lopez  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:58
English to Spanish
+ ...
Disabling the laptop's keyboard? Aug 1, 2006

Maybe if you disable the laptop's keyboard? That's what I've seen that works for mouses. Good luck!

texjax DDS PhD
texjax DDS PhD  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:58
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
same as above Aug 1, 2006

I have a laptop, and I bought a beautiful (and inexpensive)external keyboard and...it didn't work even if the control panel showed it was properly installed ( I was not able to type, just like you).
After a few researches I realized that manufacturers set the laptops so that you are forced to buy a compatible keyboard of the same brand...
In my case I would have to buy a 200$ keyboard (actually 249.95, I just checked) instead of a 20$ one....
See more
I have a laptop, and I bought a beautiful (and inexpensive)external keyboard and...it didn't work even if the control panel showed it was properly installed ( I was not able to type, just like you).
After a few researches I realized that manufacturers set the laptops so that you are forced to buy a compatible keyboard of the same brand...
In my case I would have to buy a 200$ keyboard (actually 249.95, I just checked) instead of a 20$ one.
My advice would be to check the Acer website.

Ciao!
TJ

PS. If you find an alternative solution, please let me know!

[Edited at 2006-08-01 16:19]
Collapse

CMJ_Trans (X)
CMJ_Trans (X)
Local time: 09:58
French to English
+ ...
I have exactly the same problem Aug 1, 2006

This weekend I bought a new plug-in keyboard. I decided against a wireless one, since I tried a wireless mouse and the batteries seemed to last only 5 minuutes...
I have a Microsoft Wired Keyboard 500 (nothing expensive round here) to plug into my Compaq/HP nx 9105.
At the moment, I'm plugging in an ancient Logitech keyboard but the thing is about to fall apart and I hate having to use my laptop keyboard for big jobs.

So if you can help me too, that would be great.
... See more
This weekend I bought a new plug-in keyboard. I decided against a wireless one, since I tried a wireless mouse and the batteries seemed to last only 5 minuutes...
I have a Microsoft Wired Keyboard 500 (nothing expensive round here) to plug into my Compaq/HP nx 9105.
At the moment, I'm plugging in an ancient Logitech keyboard but the thing is about to fall apart and I hate having to use my laptop keyboard for big jobs.

So if you can help me too, that would be great.
I also had to buy a PS/2 to USB converter (so much for the cheap keyboard).

I've tried plugging in when the laptop is on, when it is off. I have tried all 3 USB outlets. I have tried rebooting. I have read the book (in several languages).
All to no avail. The computer simply tells me that it doesn't recognise the hardware. On one occasion I had signs that it was going to accept but they were short-lived.

Short of throwing the keyboard out of the window or trailing back with it across town, etc., I am at my wits' end...
thanks for any help
Collapse

Enote
Enote  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:58
English to Russian
Try USB keyboard Aug 1, 2006

Acer (8104, if I am not mistaken) works with external USB keyboard.

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 10:58
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
No trouble here Aug 1, 2006

I bought a Fujitsu-Siemens laptop and use an 3 years old keyboard and mouse connected to one USB-port. No problems. Perhaps you have to select the peripheral device you use. Your dealer should know.
Regards
Heinrich

nordiste
nordiste  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 09:58
English to French
+ ...
try a USB keyboard Aug 1, 2006

I would suspect the PS/2_USB converter . Maybe it doesn't really convert properly fot the USB built in your laptop (trouble with USB1 and USB 2 for instance).
Try a USB keyboard that you can plug in your laptop directly.

texjax DDS PhD
texjax DDS PhD  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
tried :( Aug 1, 2006

nordiste wrote:
Try a USB keyboard that you can plug in your laptop directly.

That was my case...same disappointing result!

rek21
rek21
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
New findings re: connection via converter Aug 2, 2006

Well, yes, I can go out and buy a USB keyboard. The point though is that I had this ergonomic keyboard before I bought the laptop and would like to use it with the latter. My dealer told me to buy a USB converter to plug it in so I won't be going back there for advice...

As far as I know, in Spain at least and when I bought it last year, this keyboard isn't available as USB, though it is in the US (but then, I need the Spanish keys). Microsoft support have redirected me to Microsoft
... See more
Well, yes, I can go out and buy a USB keyboard. The point though is that I had this ergonomic keyboard before I bought the laptop and would like to use it with the latter. My dealer told me to buy a USB converter to plug it in so I won't be going back there for advice...

As far as I know, in Spain at least and when I bought it last year, this keyboard isn't available as USB, though it is in the US (but then, I need the Spanish keys). Microsoft support have redirected me to Microsoft Spain so I will post their answer if and when I get one.

It is not looking good though - I have read at least two reviews on sites like Amazon pointing out the incompatibility of the keyboard with these adaptors. Microsoft themselves point out that their "Internet keyboard", for example, isn't compatible.

It's a shame as it's a nice keyboard and ergonomic ones don't come very cheap either.

I'm going to hook it up to my PC's USB port with the adapter this afternoon to see whether the PC will recognise it. If so, I'll try a USB keyboard and if all that fails, contact Acer, as somebody suggested. If your laptop doesn't work even with a normal USB, without converter, I'd contact the manufacturer to find out why. How ridiculous!

I'll keep you posted!
Collapse

Irene N
Irene N
United States
Local time: 02:58
English to Russian
+ ...
Acer/Compaq/HP Aug 2, 2006

Notorious "nasty" brands when it comes to compatibility.

Stay away from them!

Good luck with solving your problem.
Irene

tlmurray (X)
tlmurray (X)
English
It could be the adapter Aug 5, 2006

As Nordise mentioned, it could be the adapter. There are PS/2 - USB adapters for mice and for keyboards, and the look the same -- perhaps you put the keyboard on a mouse connector.

I use a Microsoft Natural PS/2 on my Mac PowerBook USB, and I have to make sure I use the right connector or it won't work.

rek21
rek21
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Problem solved, thanks! Aug 12, 2006

I have managed to solve the problem with a different USB adaptor (one with two separate PS/2 connections for keyboard and mouse that go into one USB).

Thanks to those that suggested using a different adaptor and to everybody else who replied.

Hope this may help others!

marquita620
marquita620
English
Help Aug 5, 2007

I have purchased 3 different keyboards for my laptop, 2 logitech, 1 microsoft. I am a medical transcriptionist and I need a good one. Each one had the same problem. It types but the keyboard stumbles and sometimes does not type the some of the letters I hit or the space board and enter key. It slows me down considerably. I have to stop and hit the key harder. I'm thinking that buying another keyboard isn't the answer. But what is?? My laptop, actually I think it's a notebook, is a one year old C... See more
I have purchased 3 different keyboards for my laptop, 2 logitech, 1 microsoft. I am a medical transcriptionist and I need a good one. Each one had the same problem. It types but the keyboard stumbles and sometimes does not type the some of the letters I hit or the space board and enter key. It slows me down considerably. I have to stop and hit the key harder. I'm thinking that buying another keyboard isn't the answer. But what is?? My laptop, actually I think it's a notebook, is a one year old Compaq Presario.
Oh and all the keyboards I have purchased are wireless with wireless mouse. I love that feature.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Connecting external keyboard to laptop

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »