Darkie
English
Aug 11, 2006

Hi I have been getting a couple of glitches from my monitor when I was
using my pc it was as if there was a cracking sound and the monitor
blinked for a mere second this happened a few times. I tried tightening
up the cable port to the pc just in case this worked and had stopped
the glitches for a little while then they started again but not so
often and they weren't as loud or big as they were....
Today my monitor just shut off at this time I wa
... See more
Hi I have been getting a couple of glitches from my monitor when I was
using my pc it was as if there was a cracking sound and the monitor
blinked for a mere second this happened a few times. I tried tightening
up the cable port to the pc just in case this worked and had stopped
the glitches for a little while then they started again but not so
often and they weren't as loud or big as they were....
Today my monitor just shut off at this time I was listening to music
and since my speakers only work when they are connected to the monitor
(they work when the monitor is powered on). The monitor shut off the
screen went blank but the music was still playing. I went to the back of
my computer and tried fastening the port better so it would be plugged
in right I did this then turned the monitor off then on it worked the
screen was on then it turned off again.. this time it didn't work the
same way . and the green light on the monitor keeps flashing... the
computer when it turns on makes all the right noises the right beeps
informing me that it has started.... But the monitor still won't show
anything.. I took out the port cable from the pc and noticed that one of
the metal connectors were missing I got this monitor from a friend and
I don't think that this connector fell out recently I tried searching
for it on the floors to see if It fell out and I didn't see it I
think it had been working somewhat without it Im not sure if that's
possible or maybe this caused the problem.

Please help me...
Collapse

Natalia Elo
Natalia Elo  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:47
English to Russian
+ ...
It might be graphic card is gone Aug 11, 2006

Hi Darkie,

I'm not an IT expert, but just a couple of weeks ago my graphic card was gone in the more or less similar manner

Fortunately enough I have friends who know something about it. We actually opened the processor, took apart the card from the motherboard and tried another working card. Everything worked well, so it was obvious reason for the malfunction. Next day I bought new graphic card, put it in myself...
See more
Hi Darkie,

I'm not an IT expert, but just a couple of weeks ago my graphic card was gone in the more or less similar manner

Fortunately enough I have friends who know something about it. We actually opened the processor, took apart the card from the motherboard and tried another working card. Everything worked well, so it was obvious reason for the malfunction. Next day I bought new graphic card, put it in myself and installed drivers provided from the shop.

I guess you should contact someone, who do that for you.

It looks like this:
http://www.physorg.com/newman/gfx/news/11146685.jpg

This actually happened to me in the middle of 36-page-long translation, just two days before the deadline. This was really scary.

[Edited at 2006-08-11 21:29]
Collapse

Terry Richards
Terry Richards
France
Local time: 22:47
French to English
+ ...
Don't worry about the missing pins Aug 12, 2006

Not all the pins are used in a video cable. To save money, the manufacturer left out the unused pins. There is nothing wrong with this.

Can you borrow another monitor? If so, see if that one does the same thing. If it works OK with the other monitor yours is faulty. Unless it's a really good 21" monitor, it will probably be cheaper to replace it than have it repaired.

If the problem doesn't go away then it is in the video card or cable. If you have a seperate video card
... See more
Not all the pins are used in a video cable. To save money, the manufacturer left out the unused pins. There is nothing wrong with this.

Can you borrow another monitor? If so, see if that one does the same thing. If it works OK with the other monitor yours is faulty. Unless it's a really good 21" monitor, it will probably be cheaper to replace it than have it repaired.

If the problem doesn't go away then it is in the video card or cable. If you have a seperate video card, check that it is well seated in the slot.

T.
Collapse

mrr2ro
mrr2ro
United States
Local time: 15:47
English to Spanish
+ ...
Monitor in the Fritz Aug 12, 2006

A video card or bad cable will not make a monitor crack and pop.

Usually the cracks and pops are from the High voltage and magnetic fields in the CRT itself.

It sounds as a BAD power supply or a BAD flyBack (transformer) that creates the high voltage required to lit up the screen.

It does not hurt to plug in another monitor and see if the video card is working, but by your description, (Did the monitor went after a cracking or POP magnetic hum or sound?) i
... See more
A video card or bad cable will not make a monitor crack and pop.

Usually the cracks and pops are from the High voltage and magnetic fields in the CRT itself.

It sounds as a BAD power supply or a BAD flyBack (transformer) that creates the high voltage required to lit up the screen.

It does not hurt to plug in another monitor and see if the video card is working, but by your description, (Did the monitor went after a cracking or POP magnetic hum or sound?) it sounds as a bad electrical component in the monitor.

The green light on the front panel it is NOT an indication the monitor is in working order.

Usually monitors have a self test feature – In general this is what you do.

Turn off the power switch of the monitor and the power in your computer
Unplug the electric power from your monitor and from your computer
Unplug the video cable of the monitor from the computer / video card
Plug the electric power to the monitor
Turn the monitor ON

You should see a 3 color (Red / Grin / Blue) bars or some type of screen telling you sync rate or refresh rate and mentioning Monitor is working but there is NO signal.

If you do not see those messages, it may be a bad monitor.

If you see those messages, then it may be a bad video card

Video cables usually do not go back unless you are constantly moving it around, unplugging it, twisting it, etc..

If you post manufacturing / brand name and model of the monitor, it may be possible to post other self diagnostics options.

Mr. Arturo.
Collapse

Darkie
Darkie
English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Aug 14, 2006

Thanks guys for helping me out, I actually figured out that the monitor just burned out... that's all... I guess it was either too much voltage or because the monitor was somewhat old... thanks for your replies..

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Monitor help,. please

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »