Thread poster: Attila Piróth
Attila Piróth
Attila Piróth  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 14:27
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Nov 20, 2006

I had a fine wifi connection between between my modem and my notebook (Compaq Presario 2120; OS Windows XP Home Edition in French) through a Thomson Speedtouch 110 wireless PC card (PCMCIA card sent by the ISP along with the modem) until some weeks ago. Then the "power" led of the PCMCIA card turned automatically off. Since then the connection has not been working, so I supposed the PCMCIA card had to be changed, and bought another PCMCIA card, a Netgear WG511.
I installed the driver, rest
... See more
I had a fine wifi connection between between my modem and my notebook (Compaq Presario 2120; OS Windows XP Home Edition in French) through a Thomson Speedtouch 110 wireless PC card (PCMCIA card sent by the ISP along with the modem) until some weeks ago. Then the "power" led of the PCMCIA card turned automatically off. Since then the connection has not been working, so I supposed the PCMCIA card had to be changed, and bought another PCMCIA card, a Netgear WG511.
I installed the driver, restarted the computer, inserted the card. The notebook indicated that it had detected a new hardward component ("Controleur Ethernet") - however, it was unable to complete its installation (The wizard could not find the program on your computer for ... Ethernet controller). The CD-ROM was, of course, inserted, I also tried to connect the notebook to internet via an ethernet cable - to no avail.
When I re-inserted the old Thomson card, it was also detected - as a PCMCIA card of unknown manufacturer. And when I tried to install this, using the CD-ROM supplied by the ISP, it did not work either.
In the Control Panel I tried uninstalling the "Controller Cardbus O1Micro ..." before installing the Netgear driver and a few more things. At a certain point of the process an error message appeared:
"A support file of the installation 'C:\ ... \LOCALS~1\TEMP\{...}\liced8ec.rra' could not be installed.
The process cannot access this file as the file is used by another process." And when I search for this file, I cannot find it on the hard disk.
Any ideas how I could reestablish the wifi connection between my notebook and the modem?
TIA?
Attila
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problems with PCMCIA card installation undex XP

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »