Danu
Danu  Identity Verified
Eritrea
Local time: 04:29
Member (2006)
English to Tigrinya
+ ...
Mar 21, 2007

How reliable is to use tv tuner for watching TV. I am not that much fond of TV programs but I need to catch some channels sometimes. Is it advisable to use my computer as TV and have a capture card for capturing motion video and still pics? pls advice me the cons and pros of inserting a tv tuner and capture card in my computer and how to find good card with less expensive. And, what else do I need to use my computer as Tv.

Thanks for your usual help.

Love,
Danu

Claire Cox
Claire Cox
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:29
French to English
+ ...
Reliability? Mar 21, 2007

Hi Danu,

I don't know a great deal about this, other than the fact that my 18-year-old son decided to go down this route when we moved house two years ago. Instead of having both a computer and a TV in his room, he thought it would make sense to combine the two and have a TV card in his computer. However, it caused no end of problems - setting it up originally was a nightmare, probably because he wanted a digital tuner but you have to have a very good quality card to get all the pro
... See more
Hi Danu,

I don't know a great deal about this, other than the fact that my 18-year-old son decided to go down this route when we moved house two years ago. Instead of having both a computer and a TV in his room, he thought it would make sense to combine the two and have a TV card in his computer. However, it caused no end of problems - setting it up originally was a nightmare, probably because he wanted a digital tuner but you have to have a very good quality card to get all the programmes in our area. Our Sony Freeview box worked fine downstairs, b ut he went through a succession of cards to find one good enough to cope. Then, having got it working, there were still certain channels he could never get. The real problems came whenever there was a power cut of any kind - that seemed to blow the tuner card, then his whole computer wouldn't work. After this happened for the third time, he eventually decided it just wasn't worth the hassle - these cards are not cheap after all! In the end, he's done it the other way round: he bought a super-duper flatscreen TV and uses that as his monitor for the computer. So far so good....

Good luck!

Claire
Collapse

PAS
PAS  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:29
Polish to English
+ ...
Reasonably reliable Mar 21, 2007

If you don't have cable TV or a satellite dish to connect to the TV card, invest in a good antenna. The computer generates a lot of interference, so a good antenna will help you get a beter signal.

I don't know very much about watching TV on the computer. I bought my card because it had an FM radio tuner.

TV card software is mostly very bad - when (if) you get your card, look for updated drivers and software on the manufacturer's page. It helps sometimes.

I
... See more
If you don't have cable TV or a satellite dish to connect to the TV card, invest in a good antenna. The computer generates a lot of interference, so a good antenna will help you get a beter signal.

I don't know very much about watching TV on the computer. I bought my card because it had an FM radio tuner.

TV card software is mostly very bad - when (if) you get your card, look for updated drivers and software on the manufacturer's page. It helps sometimes.

I was disappointed in my card's capture quality (i.e. recording TV onto the computer). But maybe a better card will do a better job - if you are interested in recording.

Good luck,
Pawel Skalinski
Collapse

Orla Ryan
Orla Ryan  Identity Verified
Ireland
Hauppauge or ATI Mar 21, 2007

Danu wrote:

How reliable is to use tv tuner for watching TV. I am not that much fond of TV programs but I need to catch some channels sometimes. Is it advisable to use my computer as TV and have a capture card for capturing motion video and still pics? pls advice me the cons and pros of inserting a tv tuner and capture card in my computer and how to find good card with less expensive. And, what else do I need to use my computer as Tv.

Thanks for your usual help.

Love,
Danu

I found it very reliable. I plugged in an antenne to the back of my TV card, scanned the channels and that was it.
But you can get it to work for cable channels as well.

Hauppauge do a range of inexpensive TV tuner cards, I had one and it was fine. I also used to have the All-in-Wonder Radeon as well. You don't really need to use anything else, just as long as all the drivers are up to scratch and your general PC specs can cope.

Danu
Danu  Identity Verified
Eritrea
Member (2006)
English to Tigrinya
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Orla Mar 22, 2007

I will try out either of them. Can you pick me some of internet shops? If it woked fine at your computer, I will go for that. Thanks again.

Danu

Orla Ryan
Orla Ryan  Identity Verified
Ireland
how about ebay, amazon... Mar 26, 2007

Danu wrote:

I will try out either of them. Can you pick me some of internet shops? If it woked fine at your computer, I will go for that. Thanks again.

Danu

I used to work for ATI many years ago, so I was able to get the All in Wonder at a discount.

I got the Hauppauge card in Dixons (dixons.co.uk), but I don't know if they will ship cards outside of Europe - you have to specify where you live so you can get the right tuner. Otherwise they'd probably send you a TV card with the UK Pal-I tuner on it that won't work outside the British Isles.

Danu
Danu  Identity Verified
Eritrea
Member (2006)
English to Tigrinya
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Orla Mar 27, 2007

I have found the website very helpful. Thanks again,

Danu

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

using tv tuner and capture card

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »