Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:02
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
May 11, 2007

My keyboard, a "Genius K627", has a Euro symbol marked on the No. 4 key, which is accessed by pressing Alt+4. If I use this, the Euro symbol comes out properly on the screen and also in print. But when I close the file and open it again, the Euro symbol has become a square. I have got round the problem by using a shortcut key for the Euro symbol in the Times New Roman font, 8616.
There is another one in the Arial font. 8364. If I use either of these, the problem doesn't arise.
Ha
... See more
My keyboard, a "Genius K627", has a Euro symbol marked on the No. 4 key, which is accessed by pressing Alt+4. If I use this, the Euro symbol comes out properly on the screen and also in print. But when I close the file and open it again, the Euro symbol has become a square. I have got round the problem by using a shortcut key for the Euro symbol in the Times New Roman font, 8616.
There is another one in the Arial font. 8364. If I use either of these, the problem doesn't arise.
Has anyone else experienced this?
Collapse

nordiste
nordiste  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 01:02
English to French
+ ...
€ € € May 11, 2007

Not all fonts have implemented the Euro symbol.

I don't think that it has something to do with the keyboard.
What kind of file do you have trouble with, MS word ? Which version ?

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:02
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
I think it must be the keyboard May 11, 2007

The Euro symbol produced by Alt+4 appears to be the Times New Roman one. The Arial one looks rather different. So I am producing the same symbol by using my own shortcut key and by using the shortcut as printed on the keyboard. But in the first case the symbol is stable, and in the second case it turns into a square. Perhaps I shouldn't really call it a problem, as I am quite happy with my own way round it, but it's just rather curious.

Enote
Enote  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:02
English to Russian
Keyboard is OK May 11, 2007

Keyboard correctly sends scan-code of Euro symbol to the keyboard port of the computer. It's some problem in font/system's settings/software applications. Maybe there is some setting for the font in the keybord driver.

[Редактировалось 2007-05-11 16:21]

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 01:02
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
"But when I close the file ..." May 11, 2007

...and open it again, the Euro symbol has become a square.

I dont think it's the font, it's the character set, that interferes. I would assume that € (see it works, it's alt-e on my keyboard) is not implemented in 8bit Latin-1 and Latin-2 etc character sets, but rather as 2byte UTF8 character, so any file save in a txt (i.e. 8bit) mode will cause a square (a cop-out for unprintable bytes) to appear.

€ appearing loud and clear is for instance a proof that Henry & Co are storing our "qwatch" in UTF8 - with all the languages, whirring around here, euro would be the least of their troubles, if they were forced to stick to 8bit character sets...

[Edited at 2007-05-11 21:17]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problem with Euro symbol built into keyboard

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »