Strange USB modem behaviour
Thread poster: lexical
lexical
lexical  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 13:59
Portuguese to English
May 11, 2007

This is a bit of a long shot but I thought I'd see if colleagues have anything to suggest.

About 2 weeks ago, my ADSL connection started going down unpredictably once or twice a day, sometimes as much as 4 times a day. I can easily re-establish the connection by removing the feed from the back of the modem and replacing it in effect, rebooting the modem.

I'm using a Vitelcom USB modem on a Windows XP platform, with the modem taking a direct feed from a USB port of the c
... See more
This is a bit of a long shot but I thought I'd see if colleagues have anything to suggest.

About 2 weeks ago, my ADSL connection started going down unpredictably once or twice a day, sometimes as much as 4 times a day. I can easily re-establish the connection by removing the feed from the back of the modem and replacing it in effect, rebooting the modem.

I'm using a Vitelcom USB modem on a Windows XP platform, with the modem taking a direct feed from a USB port of the computer. I have had 4-5 trouble free years with this set-up until recently, and I have not changed any configurations. My ADSL provider (Terra, Spain), whose customer service department would make Atilla the Hun blush for shame, says there is nothing wrong with the line or the service but that my modem may be wearing out. Do solid-state devices "wear out" gradually?

Would replacing the modem solve the problem? Or what do you suggest I try?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Collapse

Margreet Logmans (X)
Margreet Logmans (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 13:59
English to Dutch
+ ...
Wiring May 11, 2007

I don't know if modems 'wear out', but you might try replacing your USB cable/wiring or the power cable to your modem, if it has its own power supply. Cleaning or replacing the plugs might also be a good idea.
Tiny breaches/faults can cause lots of trouble. If you have the same trouble with a new/other cable/wire you may have to consider replacing your modem.

Just a suggestion, hope it helps.

Good luck!

franksf
franksf
Chinese to English
Ethernet DSL modem May 12, 2007

I am going to suggest that you get an internal PCI ethernet card to install on your PC and use an ethernet DSL modem instead of the USB DSL modem, that way you will have a dedicated ethernet-DSL "system" rather than the shared USB "system."

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Strange USB modem behaviour

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »