ALMERCANA
ALMERCANA  Identity Verified
Morocco
Local time: 09:01
English to Arabic
+ ...
May 24, 2007

Dear all,
How are you doing? I just got informed that a new very dangerous virus is launched this Sunday 20 may. It is called "Invitation" and may comes from one of your contacts list! Never open this email because it immidiately distruct the 'Zero zone' in your hard disk where vital data are located. This was a CNN news and the virus is classified by Microsoft as the most dangerous virus ever launched. It was discovered by MCafee but no solution to deal with the virus is discovered yet.... See more
Dear all,
How are you doing? I just got informed that a new very dangerous virus is launched this Sunday 20 may. It is called "Invitation" and may comes from one of your contacts list! Never open this email because it immidiately distruct the 'Zero zone' in your hard disk where vital data are located. This was a CNN news and the virus is classified by Microsoft as the most dangerous virus ever launched. It was discovered by MCafee but no solution to deal with the virus is discovered yet.
Cheers,
Collapse

Deborah do Carmo
Deborah do Carmo  Identity Verified
Portugal
Dutch to English
+ ...
Thanks ... May 24, 2007

... even if this is a hoax, you weren't to know. Better to be safe than sorry.

Regards
Deborah

[Edited at 2007-05-24 09:59]

Gianni Pastore
Gianni Pastore  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 10:01
Member (2007)
English to Italian
Hoax May 24, 2007

http://attivissimo.blogspot.com/2006/01/invitation-bufalescion.html

I think it's a hoax, since this kind of so-called virus has already been "discovered" on January last year.

Can you give us the link to the CNN new, please?

Branka Stankovic McCarthy
Branka Stankovic McCarthy  Identity Verified
Serbia
English to Serbian
+ ...
yes it's a hoax May 24, 2007

Hoaxes and Urban Legends: The "Invitation" virus hoax

http://www.joewein.net/hoax/hoax-invitation-virus.htm

I googled it and got 352,000 hits all claimin
... See more
Hoaxes and Urban Legends: The "Invitation" virus hoax

http://www.joewein.net/hoax/hoax-invitation-virus.htm

I googled it and got 352,000 hits all claiming it's a hoax.

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=gmail&q=Invitation%20virus%20CNN

Virus Warning hoaxes prey on new internet users who have little knowledge about technology and how it works. They are frequently characterized by describing terrible consequenses that are not really possible, quoting "official" sources like AOL, IBM, or Microsoft and desperately urging you to forward them on to everyone you know.

http://www.breakthechain.org/vw.html

Do I get Kudoz for this?
Collapse

ALMERCANA
ALMERCANA  Identity Verified
Morocco
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
This is good news May 27, 2007

Glad to know the alert is fake.
Better to be safe than sorry

In fact this is my point of view as well.
Can you give us the link to the CNN new, please?

I received the alert from a friend with no references.
Virus Warning hoaxes prey on new internet users ...

I can't see how to find new internet users among millions of users in the world. Do you have a suggestion?

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Why hoaxes can be a problem, too May 27, 2007

Hi Nabil,

Glad to know the alert is fake.
Better to be safe than sorry

In fact this is my point of view as well.

Agreed in principle.
The problem with such hoaxes is that they create unnecessary e-mail traffic, which may divert attention from genuine warnings. Also, some hoaxes prompt you to remove files falsely identified as infected.

I can't see how to find new internet users among millions of users in the world. Do you have a suggestion?

Check the hoax lists of established antivirus providers before passing on the information.

Best regards,
Ralf

Dinny
Dinny  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 11:01
Italian to Danish
+ ...
Loosing a job out of fear of virus...? May 28, 2007

This morning I found an email with the title: Invitation for an upcoming project. The sender was an unknown "Huiting".

So, with this warning in mind - hoax or not hoax - I just cancelled the email without even opening it.

I'll never know if it was a serious "invitation".

If it contained a virus, I am lucky not to be too 'hungry' for new jobs, others might have clicked on it right away and found themselves in trouble.

If it was a real invitat
... See more
This morning I found an email with the title: Invitation for an upcoming project. The sender was an unknown "Huiting".

So, with this warning in mind - hoax or not hoax - I just cancelled the email without even opening it.

I'll never know if it was a serious "invitation".

If it contained a virus, I am lucky not to be too 'hungry' for new jobs, others might have clicked on it right away and found themselves in trouble.

If it was a real invitation to bid for a job I think the sender should reconsider his "sender address".
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New very dangerous Virus is launched

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »