Doron Greenspan MITI
Doron Greenspan MITI  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 03:24
Member (2005)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Aug 5, 2007

Next time you buy a screen for your home pc, I strongly recommend buying a wide, 16:9 screen.

I just bought a 20in. wide screen (Samsung 206BW - very nice) and can now place two Word docs side by side in their full glory. This is a huge improvement on the funny arrangements, and frequent sideways-scrolling I had with a 4:3, normal screen.

Even when working with Trados TW, I can put the Word below the TW on one side, and a reference PDF/doc on the other.

Ju
... See more
Next time you buy a screen for your home pc, I strongly recommend buying a wide, 16:9 screen.

I just bought a 20in. wide screen (Samsung 206BW - very nice) and can now place two Word docs side by side in their full glory. This is a huge improvement on the funny arrangements, and frequent sideways-scrolling I had with a 4:3, normal screen.

Even when working with Trados TW, I can put the Word below the TW on one side, and a reference PDF/doc on the other.

Just wanted to share my 'discovery' with you. For all I know, I may have been the only one still without one, but still..

Doron

[Edited at 2007-08-05 19:31]
Collapse

Alexey Ivanov
Alexey Ivanov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
English to Russian
2 screens will be still better Aug 5, 2007

Doron Greenspan MITI wrote:

Doron

Hi Doron,

Buy a second one (if you have a video card with 2 outputs) and you will be still happier. I use 2 x 20 inch monitors. And really can't imagine how I managed before splitting 2 files and squeezing them into one screen. Which is OK if you have only 1 file plus Translator's Workbench. But if you also have to view a formatted version in PDF and translate in Trados a TTX file, and keep a browser open for research, then you really must have 2 monitors.

Textklick
Textklick  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:24
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
At least 2 Aug 5, 2007

Alexey Ivanov wrote:

Hi Doron,
Buy a second one (if you have a video card with 2 outputs) and you will be still happier. I use 2 x 20 inch monitors. And really can't imagine how I managed before splitting 2 files and squeezing them into one screen. Which is OK if you have only 1 file plus Translator's Workbench. But if you also have to view a formatted version in PDF and translate in Trados a TTX file, and keep a browser open for research, then you really must have 2 monitors.

I would find working without 2 screens seriously unproductive.

I know a a fellow Prozian in Germany who works with three monitors/screens and is talking about moving up to 4.

Chris

Juliana Brown
Juliana Brown  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 20:24
Member (2007)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Even one 20 inch would be a dream come true Aug 5, 2007

considering that at the moment I am working on a 17 inch laptop screen, borrowed for a few months while I save for something decent...Jealousy rears its ugly head...

NetLynx
NetLynx  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:24
English to Danish
+ ...
16:10 is the format ... Aug 6, 2007

Actually wide computer monitors are 16:10, strange as it is. TV monitors are 16:9.
More important to me is a high resolution, at least 1680x1050 pixels, and even better 1920x1200 that gives you a very sharp and highly readable picture, even at small fonts, and nearly as good as laser printed pages.

Best regards
Erik

Alexey Ivanov
Alexey Ivanov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Another happy discovery Aug 6, 2007

Textklick wrote:

I would find working without 2 screens seriously unproductive.
Chris

I absolutely agree and I am also thinking about moving to 3 screens. Actually I often use a third screen - that of my laptop joining the desktop and the laptop in LAN. And on occasions I could find use for 4 screens: No. 1 - Workbench and the translation, No. 2 - formatted PDF version for reference, No. 3 - Glossary (for editing, as you have access to the Multiterm glossary via Workbench, but you can't edit it there), and No.4 - for online search.
Since Doron started this thread to share with us his happy discovery I would also like to share mine. Just the other day when I was shopping for a new cordless phone I found one which also supports Skype. I immediately bought it and am in a bliss now: no more headphones or microphones. Just the ordinary handset with lots of functions and you are not tied to the PC by a cord and can walk or lie down while talking.

Textklick
Textklick  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:24
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Faster communication Aug 6, 2007

Alexey Ivanov wrote:

Since Doron started this thread to share with us his happy discovery I would also like to share mine. Just the other day when I was shopping for a new cordless phone I found one which also supports Skype.

Right! Skype (on your PC) is another reason for 2 screens. You can have the chat box on one screen and the item you are discussing on the other. Cut and paste text, URLs etc. from screen 1 to screen 2 etc.

Chris

John Di Rico
John Di Rico  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 02:24
Member (2006)
French to English
Two outputs? Aug 6, 2007

Hello everyone,

I seriously want to hook up a second monitor to my computer but can't figure out if I need a new video card. My current one has two outputs on it, a blue and white (dvi and vga). I have the dvi hooked up right now (BTW, is the VGA better?). Are these what I need to hook up a second monitor? I've tried to contact my v card manufacturer but they never wrote back. I have an ATI Radeon X600 256 mb hyper memory with output DVI/VGTA, TV that I purchased from Dell with my D
... See more
Hello everyone,

I seriously want to hook up a second monitor to my computer but can't figure out if I need a new video card. My current one has two outputs on it, a blue and white (dvi and vga). I have the dvi hooked up right now (BTW, is the VGA better?). Are these what I need to hook up a second monitor? I've tried to contact my v card manufacturer but they never wrote back. I have an ATI Radeon X600 256 mb hyper memory with output DVI/VGTA, TV that I purchased from Dell with my Dimension 9100. I'm running on XP pro.

I've read lots of threads about setting up two monitors. I'd love to hook up my old dell inspiron 7500 laptop running on W98SE...

Does anybody know if I can do that or do I have to get a new video card, monitor, or both?

Thanks,

John
Collapse

Doron Greenspan MITI
Doron Greenspan MITI  Identity Verified
Israel
Member (2005)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
16:10 it is Aug 6, 2007

I've learnt something new here, and after measuring it, I agree it's indeed 16:10 for the wide computer screen.

Actually, I sometime do put my laptop beside the screen, so it's kind of equivalent to 3 screens...

Btw, doesn't moving your head across 3 screens cause you any neck pains?

Sorry, John, no idea regarding your question...

Doron

Mohammad Reza Razaghi
Mohammad Reza Razaghi  Identity Verified
Iran
Local time: 03:54
English to Persian (Farsi)
+ ...
Check this... Aug 6, 2007

John Di Rico wrote:

Hello everyone,

I seriously want to hook up a second monitor to my computer but can't figure out if I need a new video card. My current one has two outputs on it, a blue and white (dvi and vga). I have the dvi hooked up right now (BTW, is the VGA better?). Are these what I need to hook up a second monitor? I've tried to contact my v card manufacturer but they never wrote back. I have an ATI Radeon X600 256 mb hyper memory with output DVI/VGTA, TV that I purchased from Dell with my Dimension 9100. I'm running on XP pro.

I've read lots of threads about setting up two monitors. I'd love to hook up my old dell inspiron 7500 laptop running on W98SE...

Does anybody know if I can do that or do I have to get a new video card, monitor, or both?

Thanks,

John

Here you can find useful tips:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/hwandprograms/monitors.mspx

HTH

Best,

Mohammad Reza

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Recommended: buying a 16:9 screen

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »