Gillian Scheibelein
Gillian Scheibelein  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 04:16
German to English
+ ...
Sep 19, 2007

Hi everyone,

My tried and trusty Microsoft Intellimouse (with 2 left/right side buttons, laser, cable) has given up. I've been using my simple Logitech mouse from my notebook, but the wheel + R/L buttons are so loud it is driving me nuts. I therefore need a new mouse, but it must have the following features:

suitable for LEFTHANDERS
cable (don't like wireless mice as their batteries make them too heavy)
at least 2 programmable buttons e.g. for back/forward w
... See more
Hi everyone,

My tried and trusty Microsoft Intellimouse (with 2 left/right side buttons, laser, cable) has given up. I've been using my simple Logitech mouse from my notebook, but the wheel + R/L buttons are so loud it is driving me nuts. I therefore need a new mouse, but it must have the following features:

suitable for LEFTHANDERS
cable (don't like wireless mice as their batteries make them too heavy)
at least 2 programmable buttons e.g. for back/forward while webbrowsing
quiet buttons
quiet wheel

I've looked in ebay/Amazon etc., but there are so many models. Most of the web reviews have been written by gamers who have quite different requirements to translators.

So what are you using and what can you recommend?

Cheers,

Jill

[Edited at 2007-09-19 10:15]
Collapse

Margreet Logmans (X)
Margreet Logmans (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
Trackball - pen tablet Sep 19, 2007

Hi Jill,

being lefthanded myself, I really feel for you.
I use a trackball (on the computer I share with my husband) and a pen tablet on my work computer, because I couldn't find a mouse I really liked.

Here's the mouse/trackball we use:
http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/mice_pointers/trackballs/devices/156&cl=gb,en... See more
Hi Jill,

being lefthanded myself, I really feel for you.
I use a trackball (on the computer I share with my husband) and a pen tablet on my work computer, because I couldn't find a mouse I really liked.

Here's the mouse/trackball we use:
http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/mice_pointers/trackballs/devices/156&cl=gb,en

and this is the pen tablet I use:

http://www.wacom.com.au/price/graphire4/graphire4_A6.html

And you can even put a photograph or picture under its plastic cover to personalise it....

I'm aware that you asked for a mouse, but I really could not find anything better than this when I had to find a mouse/pointer for myself. You might like to take a look at these, maybe give them a try. Good luck!

Margreet
Collapse

tectranslate ITS GmbH
tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
Uhm Sep 19, 2007

Hi Jill, good to see you're back!

Why don't you just buy another Intellimouse if it has always served you faithfully? We have a couple of those here as well and they're quite alright if you don't want a wireless model or one that has a zillion buttons.

B

Daniel Bird
Daniel Bird  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:16
German to English
Not exactly a hardware comment, but... Sep 19, 2007

...I'm a right hander and periodically I switch my mouse to the left, then perodically back to the right, just to even up the wear on the old joints, tendons etc.
It's remarkable how you can get used to using the mouse back to front - I use Word, QuarkXpress and CAD programs and don't find it a problem. And I believe my carpal tunnels are thankful for it.
Happy hunting
DB

Alan Halls
Alan Halls  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
Alternative solution Sep 20, 2007

Hello Jill

As a left-hander doing about 15 hours a day I understand the need for an ergonomically sound left-handed mouse. I've had problems lately with my tendons and a doctor suggested I should get away from the usual mouse posture which cramps the blood vessels, wears the tendons etc. So I invested in a strange-looking vertical mouse (http://aerobicmouse.com/) which uses the handshake posture. T
... See more
Hello Jill

As a left-hander doing about 15 hours a day I understand the need for an ergonomically sound left-handed mouse. I've had problems lately with my tendons and a doctor suggested I should get away from the usual mouse posture which cramps the blood vessels, wears the tendons etc. So I invested in a strange-looking vertical mouse (http://aerobicmouse.com/) which uses the handshake posture. The one to which the link refers does not, in fact, have programmable buttons (apart from the middle one, possibly) but there are other vertical mice on the market which may. After a week of using it, I feel it will, in the long term, make a difference ergonomically. This mouse has a long USB cable and is available in onyx black or white. I would spend some time browsing the web for vertical alternatives. I did once try a trackball before I had any carpal tunnel problems and within 3 months I did have problems. Whether there's a direct cause and effect I cannot say, but I stopped using it and things got better!

Alan
Collapse

Gillian Scheibelein
Germany
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The solution Sep 21, 2007

Hi everyone,

thanks to all who made suggestions, they are much appreciated.

After 21 years of using a standard mouse, I just can't imagine getting used to a trackball or the aerobic mouse although they both look very interesting. In the end I chose a Logitech G3 which can be used by left/right-handers. It is slightly smaller the Intellimouse and thus more comfortable as I have relatively small hands. The G3 has 2 forward/backward buttons on the sides, and the left one c
... See more
Hi everyone,

thanks to all who made suggestions, they are much appreciated.

After 21 years of using a standard mouse, I just can't imagine getting used to a trackball or the aerobic mouse although they both look very interesting. In the end I chose a Logitech G3 which can be used by left/right-handers. It is slightly smaller the Intellimouse and thus more comfortable as I have relatively small hands. The G3 has 2 forward/backward buttons on the sides, and the left one can be comfortably operated by the middle segment of my ring finger because it protrudes slightly. The infra-red laser tracks more precisely than the old mouse and accelerates nicely when I move between screens (22" wide-screen and a 19"). The left/right mouse buttons are a little noisy, but the wheel and 2 side buttons are virtually silent. On top of everything, it was a special offer at MediMax (€33 - Amazon 43,49). I am very pleased with it and can warmly recommend it.

Another couple of features I have just discovered:

1) I can reassign the 3 extra buttons to different functions or even key combinations (middle one defaulted to "change DPI" is now "Alt+Insert" - which moves me to the next Transit segment - very useful
2) Smart Move: this automatically moves the cursor to the OK box.

Cheers,
Jill

[Edited at 2007-09-21 13:08]
Collapse

Gillian Scheibelein
Germany
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sep 21, 2007

opps, sent twice. Content deleted

[Edited at 2007-09-21 12:47]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Mouse recommendations for a lefthander

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »