Thread poster: Gillian Scheibelein
Gillian Scheibelein
Gillian Scheibelein  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 23:07
German to English
+ ...
Nov 21, 2007

I've decided to get a new notebook before the new tax laws come into effect in Germany in 2008. Nearly all the notebooks now on offer have highly reflective screens - those with matt screens seem to be leftovers with slower processors or high-end business solutions. There are some with anti-glare coatings, but they still reflect. Comments made on internet forums regarding the 2 types are very conflicting, some say the reflective screen is fantastic (better contrast, colours, etc.), while others ... See more
I've decided to get a new notebook before the new tax laws come into effect in Germany in 2008. Nearly all the notebooks now on offer have highly reflective screens - those with matt screens seem to be leftovers with slower processors or high-end business solutions. There are some with anti-glare coatings, but they still reflect. Comments made on internet forums regarding the 2 types are very conflicting, some say the reflective screen is fantastic (better contrast, colours, etc.), while others say the reflections from light sources are very disturbing. It is difficult to separate the commenters into those using their notebook for office software and those using it for multimedia/film applications, etc.

My question to fellow translators who have notebooks with a reflective screen and who use their notebooks for translating while out of the office (trains etc. where there is less chance of moving to optimise reflections):

1.) Are these reflective screens good or bad?
2.) What would you choose next time?
3.) What make is it - happy or not?

I only use my notebook when I am out of the office so an expensive high-end solution is not really worthwhile.

TIA for any answers!

Cheers,
Jill
Collapse

Margreet Logmans (X)
Margreet Logmans (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
Lighting Nov 21, 2007

Hi Jill,

my notebook has a reflective screen, my previous one had a matt screen.
It does not really make any difference to me. I find the reflective screen hard to read only when there are bright lights shining on it directly.

So, on trains and boats and planes you should be ok with a reflective screen, because there usually isn't bright, direct light there. You may want to sit at a little distance from the windows though, especially on a bright day.

... See more
Hi Jill,

my notebook has a reflective screen, my previous one had a matt screen.
It does not really make any difference to me. I find the reflective screen hard to read only when there are bright lights shining on it directly.

So, on trains and boats and planes you should be ok with a reflective screen, because there usually isn't bright, direct light there. You may want to sit at a little distance from the windows though, especially on a bright day.

My matt screen wasn't readable with bright light either, all contrast was lost.

FYI, my notebook does have all these beautiful multimedia features, but I use the machine for translating, editing, surfing the Internet and email, mostly.

If there is anyone you know who owns a notebook with a reflective screen, why don't you borrow it for an hour or so and just try it out? If you try fooling around a little with Word or Excel, you'll have a pretty good idea of what 'serious' work will be like on such a machine.

Best,
Margreet
Collapse

sylvie malich (X)
sylvie malich (X)
Germany
German to English
Slightly off topic: new tax laws? THANKS GILLIAN Nov 21, 2007

Gillian Scheibelein wrote:

I've decided to get a new notebook before the new tax laws come into effect in Germany in 2008.

Dear Gillian,
sorry for hijacking your post, what new tax laws are coming into effect now? My tax advisor hasn't said anything or else I haven't been paying attention. Should I be going out and spending my profit on items I have been putting off?

Do tell!

LG,
sylvie

[...]

Thanks for the info post and link, Gillian! I was unaware and my tax advisor has proven himself (again) to be expensive and useless... grrrrrr.
Off to buy that printer,
sylvie

[Edited at 2007-11-21 10:44]

Gillian Scheibelein
Germany
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
good idea Nov 21, 2007

Margreet Logmans wrote:
.... If there is anyone you know who owns a notebook with a reflective screen, why don't you borrow it for an hour or so and just try it out? ........

Hi Margreet,

This is the problem, I don't know anyone who has bought a laptop recently. But I'll ask my gamer sons if any of their friends have one and offer a reward!

Cheers,
Jill

Gillian Scheibelein
Germany
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Geringwertiger Wirtschaftsgüter - Abschreibung Nov 21, 2007

sylvie malich wrote:

......what new tax laws are coming into effect now? My tax advisor hasn't said anything or else I haven't been paying attention. ......

Hi Sylvie,

see, for example,
http://www.akademie.de/fuehrung-organisation/steuern-fuer-unternehmer/tipps/steuertipps/steuerreform-vorsicht-gwg-falle.html

This directly affects goods costing between €150 and €450 (without USt). They can no longer be written off in one year from 2008 but over 5.

A friend working at a tax advisor's office said that goods over this limit (e.g. computers) bought in 2008 will also be subject to 5 years and not the 3 at present. She was told that computers bought this year can still be written off over 3 years. I was planning on a new laptop anyway, this has just precipitated things a bit.

Cheers,
Jill

Cetacea
Cetacea  Identity Verified
Switzerland
English to German
+ ...
Depends on your priorities Nov 21, 2007

Hi Gillian,

A highly reflective screen is great if all you do is watch DVDs--which I somehow doubt is the reason why you want to buy a laptop...

For all other purposes, however, a matt screen is much better, since with a highly reflective screen (nomen est omen), everything is reflected, which is extremely distracting, to put it mildly. I was considering buying a laptop with a highly reflective or "glossy"
... See more
Hi Gillian,

A highly reflective screen is great if all you do is watch DVDs--which I somehow doubt is the reason why you want to buy a laptop...

For all other purposes, however, a matt screen is much better, since with a highly reflective screen (nomen est omen), everything is reflected, which is extremely distracting, to put it mildly. I was considering buying a laptop with a highly reflective or "glossy" screen because I thought that the bright colors and sharp contrast they're supposed to give you would be good for working on photos, but half an hour at my computer technician's place taught me better.

As for the make, I'm using Macs, and I would never go back to anything else.
Collapse

Margreet Logmans (X)
Margreet Logmans (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
You're invited at my place Nov 21, 2007

Gillian Scheibelein wrote:

Margreet Logmans wrote:
.... If there is anyone you know who owns a notebook with a reflective screen, why don't you borrow it for an hour or so and just try it out? ........

Hi Margreet,

This is the problem, I don't know anyone who has bought a laptop recently. But I'll ask my gamer sons if any of their friends have one and offer a reward!

Cheers,
Jill

If that doesn't work, you're hereby invited at my place to try mine.

Patricia Lane
Patricia Lane  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
grumpy Nov 21, 2007

Between reflective screens, the loss of the 4:3 format (much better for working on photographic images), and the forced purchase of Vista (one manufacturer told me flat out they could not configure a new laptop for me with XP Pro because MSoft prohibited them from doing do), this customer cannot get any of the features she wants in her tools.

The customer is always right???

Grumpy Patricia

Gillian Scheibelein
Germany
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
My solution Nov 26, 2007

I managed to entice one of my sons pals with his HP notebook. The reflective screen is a bit off-putting, but as long as the light isn't coming from behind you, it is more or less OK. In fact, the matt screen has more problems with light-scattering when the light source is coming from the side.

The new screens are much brighter, more colourful and crisper. I was quite surprised.

In the end I bought an HP Pavilion HP9667eg and am quite happy with it at the moment - I ha
... See more
I managed to entice one of my sons pals with his HP notebook. The reflective screen is a bit off-putting, but as long as the light isn't coming from behind you, it is more or less OK. In fact, the matt screen has more problems with light-scattering when the light source is coming from the side.

The new screens are much brighter, more colourful and crisper. I was quite surprised.

In the end I bought an HP Pavilion HP9667eg and am quite happy with it at the moment - I haven't started installing software yet!

Margreet Logmans wrote:

If that doesn't work, you're hereby invited at my place to try mine.

Thanks Margreet!! You never know, one day if I'm in your area!

Thanks to all who answered,
Jill
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

reflective verus matt notebook screens

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »