Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:10
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Laptop-Riser Jan 2, 2008

Since I am working with a laptop I have developed pain in my wrists and knuckles as well which are obviously caused by the different angle compared to a regular keyboard.

Here is what mi
... See more
Since I am working with a laptop I have developed pain in my wrists and knuckles as well which are obviously caused by the different angle compared to a regular keyboard.

Here is what might be a solution:

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?sku=a0408445&cs=19&c=us&l=en&dgc=SS&cid=25682&lid=585556

I will certainly get one of those.
Collapse

Jason Kim
Jason Kim
South Korea
Member (2007)
English to Korean
My hands hurt too! Jan 2, 2008

I use a laptop.
I tried IBM Ultra Navi keyboard but it didn't help much.
Next I tried Microsoft Natural 4000 and it was better but the keystroke is not as soft as I expect it would but I like Natural Mouse 6000.

Now I'm using Goldtouch and its nice that you can adjust the angle of the keyboard.
The keystroke is also very nice but my hands still have the same pain.
I also got a kind of docking station for my laptop and it helps me correct my posture.
... See more
I use a laptop.
I tried IBM Ultra Navi keyboard but it didn't help much.
Next I tried Microsoft Natural 4000 and it was better but the keystroke is not as soft as I expect it would but I like Natural Mouse 6000.

Now I'm using Goldtouch and its nice that you can adjust the angle of the keyboard.
The keystroke is also very nice but my hands still have the same pain.
I also got a kind of docking station for my laptop and it helps me correct my posture.

I usually type 10 hours or more almost every day.
If you work long hours typing everyday, good input devices help but they don't elminate the pain all together.

When I feel uncomfortable with my hands, I also run cold and hot water in turn over my hands for a couple of minutes. It also helps.

I try to take a good sleep, exercise regularly, and take a break as often as possible.
Dragon and writing tablet sound very interesting to me.

[Edited at 2008-01-02 06:35]
Collapse

Mihailolja
Mihailolja
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:10
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
The best keyboard I know.... Jan 2, 2008

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/97577

excellent , really comfortable, not sure if Logitech do one like this but this one by Microsoft is worth every penny.

Mihailo

Margreet Logmans (X)
Margreet Logmans (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 21:10
English to Dutch
+ ...
Pen tablet Jan 2, 2008

I'm using a pen tablet instead of a mouse and find it very comfortable.
Not for writing, though, just for pointing.

You should see one and try it before you buy it. There are different sizes, don't buy one that's too small. The bigger, the better, but since it will be lying around on your desk, there are limitations to the size, of course.

I love working with a pen tablet, my husband hates it. I started using it because my wrists hurt every now and then, and using
... See more
I'm using a pen tablet instead of a mouse and find it very comfortable.
Not for writing, though, just for pointing.

You should see one and try it before you buy it. There are different sizes, don't buy one that's too small. The bigger, the better, but since it will be lying around on your desk, there are limitations to the size, of course.

I love working with a pen tablet, my husband hates it. I started using it because my wrists hurt every now and then, and using a regular mouse made it worse.

Another nice feature is that it is 'universal', that is to say: I'm lefthanded, my husband is righthanded, but the tablet doesn't care. That is important to me, because the best pointing devices for computers are usually designed for either lefthand or righthand use, and I had real trouble finding good ergonomical devices for lefthand use.

I'm using HP's standard keyboard though. I'm a Dragon user too, but only for 'fluent' texts. I can't get Dragon to understand how to work with tags...
Collapse

Shouguang Cao
Shouguang Cao  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 04:10
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your information Jan 2, 2008

Droz wrote:

Howdy,
I've wanted to ask you a couple of questions. Does pain meds or heating-pad-like thingy (or even ice pad) help reduce your pain? Are your finger joints swelling? Is your pain chronic or does it get worse only when you're typing? Oh, I almost forgot to ask, "have you seen an orthopedist?"
The reason why I'm telling you this is because I have a bad experience not to see an appropriate doc. right away, which my (upper back) pain got worse and ended up having surgery years ago.

We all should and need to use ergonomic equipments and do some exercises but knowing what your real problem before start using or doing something new is more important.

Excessive keyboard use must be your cause of pain as you suspect but why don't you leave making diagnosis to a professional?

BTW, I'm using Kinesis's Contoured keyboard with a foot switch.
http://www.kinesis-ergo.com/
Price is ridiculous but it's been my holy grail so far

The pain gets worse when I type. I currently don't see a need to see a doctor so far, but your warning is valuable. Translation is not an healthy job. Everybody should pay more attention to possible health problems and get regular exercise.

Keyboards with softer and more springy keys may help. My computer is an old Compaq and it probably has the worst possible keyboard. The key journeys are too short and it is like hitting directly on something solid.

Noe Tessmann
Noe Tessmann  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
put the laptop on a pile of books Jan 3, 2008

Nicole Schnell wrote

Here is what might be a solution:

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?sku=a0408445&cs=19&c=us&l=en&dgc=SS&cid=25682&lid=585556

I will certainly get one of those.

Hi Nicole,

I put my laptop on a pile of books, so that it is in the right position. I also have a nice soft touch external appele keyboard, but still I feel the first symptoms of mouse arm (numbness). I just using changing the mouse to my left hand.

Regards

Noe

Johnny Speiermann
Johnny Speiermann
Denmark
English to Danish
+ ...
Change keyboard layout Apr 10, 2008

You might want to consider using another keyboard layout.

I consider using the keyboard layout called Dvorak as this puts up to 60% less strain on your fingers as the distance you move your fingers will be less.

You can read more about the Dvorak layout on wikipedia.

The main down side is that it will tae up to a month to get used to a new keyboard layout.

- Johnny

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Knuckle pains and keyboard ergonomics

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »