Ivan Eikås Skjøstad
Ivan Eikås Skjøstad  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 18:01
Member (2002)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Feb 4, 2008

When I am typing the Caps Lock key on the keyboard some times turnes on (I press it by mistake). The easy solution: Remove the key It's quite easy to remove keys on most keyboards, specially on laptops. You can put it back on when you feel like it.

Works like a charm!

PAS
PAS  Identity Verified
Polish to English
+ ...
Curing dandruff by decapitation? Feb 4, 2008

That's a Frank Zappa quote, but still...

Sometimes you do need the caps lock key.
Otherwise I simply have the "fix two initial caps" (or whatever it's called - one of the auto-correct options) option turned on and it fixes all of my problems.

Pawel Skalinski

Ivan Eikås Skjøstad
Norway
Member (2002)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Note completely removed Feb 4, 2008

What I meant is to remove the key you press, not the entire key (If you know what I mean). It's still possible to press it, but it's easier to avoid pressing it accidentally.

The Autocorrect option is most likely good, but I try to avoid Autocorrect most of the time since a lot of the functions are based on typing English.

Elin Davies
Elin Davies  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
English to Welsh
+ ...
Change language from English Feb 4, 2008

I use the auto correct like Pawel. All you need to do is change the language setting on the computer or just in Word to your own language and it won't change words into English. You can also add your own corrections and auto completes in word. I had to download the Welsh spell checker for Word so even if your language isn't in the standard pack, you should be able to download from somewhere.

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Nto use atuo-ocrerct ???? Feb 4, 2008

Hwo od youo evre gte nay wrok odne?

Htanks fro teh tip abuot removing the caps lock key though!

OK, my typing isn't quite that bad, but I have to set Auto-correct for all my four working languages, so that it works when I use Trados too! I couldn't live without it!

PAS
PAS  Identity Verified
Polish to English
+ ...
Keyboard destruction Feb 4, 2008

Ivan Eikås Skjøstad wrote:

What I meant is..

Yeah, I know what you meant Just lifting the little piece of plastic out of the keayboard.

Don't agree with the autocorrect working "mostly in English". The only one I can think of is the names of weekdays.
If you enable the two caps lock related functions, you automatically avoid writing PAwel SKalinski or pAWEL sKALINSKI.

If you need to write things like MHz (megahertz), you just put them in the exceptions box.

The replace text as you write is one of the most useful functions for me Word has ever invented - for example, in Polish I write most common words without diacritical signs, letting Word do the work.

Cheers,
P.A.S.

Ivan Eikås Skjøstad
Norway
Member (2002)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sure Feb 4, 2008

PAS wrote:

Don't agree with the autocorrect working "mostly in English".
P.A.S.

OK. I have seen quite a lot of the capital "I" in not to good Norwegian translations...

I am sure the autocorrect will work for professional translators that want to use this function.

JPW (X)
JPW (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:01
Spanish to English
+ ...
Another handy tip Feb 4, 2008

Try this one, it should work on most computers:

If you are worried about acciDENTALLY PRESSing Caps Lock or Num Lock etc. on your computer here's a handy tip - press and hold Num Lock for at LEAST five seconds; then you get a message saying something like "Turn toggle keys on/off? Y/N".

Select 'YES'; every time you press one of the 'Lock' keys after this, the computer will emit a beep sound to warn you that the key has been switched on, and a different beep for switchi
... See more
Try this one, it should work on most computers:

If you are worried about acciDENTALLY PRESSing Caps Lock or Num Lock etc. on your computer here's a handy tip - press and hold Num Lock for at LEAST five seconds; then you get a message saying something like "Turn toggle keys on/off? Y/N".

Select 'YES'; every time you press one of the 'Lock' keys after this, the computer will emit a beep sound to warn you that the key has been switched on, and a different beep for switching off again...

That way you get an audible warning that the function has been switched on/off.

HTH!

This is far better than destroying your keyboard by removing the keys, surely?
Collapse

Christiane Lalonde
Christiane Lalonde  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 12:01
English to French
Brilliant! Feb 4, 2008

John Paul Weir wrote:

press and hold Num Lock for at LEAST five seconds; then you get a message saying something like "Turn toggle keys on/off? Y/N".

Select 'YES'; every time you press one of the 'Lock' keys after this, the computer will emit a beep sound to warn you that the key has been switched on, and a different beep for switching off again...

Brilliant! I just TURNED IT ON AND it works! Typing whole sentences in CAP was one of my specialty. Thank you!

JPW (X)
JPW (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:01
Spanish to English
+ ...
That's my good deed for the day done... Feb 4, 2008

Glad you liked the tip, Christiane.

Remember: Knowledge is power!

N.B. You'll have to do this each time you switch on your computer. But it is handy to know, writing whole PARAGRAPHS in Caps was one of my (least) favourite ways of wasting time too...

)

PAS
PAS  Identity Verified
Polish to English
+ ...
I to eye Feb 4, 2008

Ivan Eikås Skjøstad wrote:
OK. I have seen quite a lot of the capital "I" in not to good Norwegian translations...

You can freely add and edit or remove the individual autocorrect entries, including the automatic "i" to "I".

Nothing to do with professional translation - just trying to tame Bill's offspring into doing what you want them to do rather than having them do what they think is good for you

There is another similar function that deals with the control keys (shift, alt, control, windows logo). It is intended for disabled persons, but may be of use to others:

Pressing the shift key five times in a row brings up the dialogue that controls those keys. I never needed to do this, but you may also want to check it out.

P.

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
A reminder about uppercase Feb 4, 2008

In Word, select the text to handle, press Shift+F3 to cycle through First Letter Capitalised, ALL CAPITALISED or none capitalised. tHIS CAN AVOID RETYPING A WHOLE SENTENCE;
All the best,
Philippe

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
You can also use format - caps/small Feb 4, 2008

Philippe Etienne wrote:

In Word, select the text to handle, press Shift+F3 to cycle through First Letter Capitalised, ALL CAPITALISED or none capitalised. tHIS CAN AVOID RETYPING A WHOLE SENTENCE;
All the best,
Philippe

I usually use shift+F3 as Philippe suggests, but the format option is useful for rEVERSING cAPITALS / sMALL lETTERS or when you want every word to start with a capital.

Ivan Eikås Skjøstad
Norway
Member (2002)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Feb 4, 2008

[Edited at 2008-02-04 13:55]

Jaroslaw Michalak
Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
More solutions... Feb 4, 2008

I do not have problems with CapsLock, as I have long time ago remapped it to "down arrow" (which is useful for some CAT operations).

The tool I used is called SharpKeys:

http://www.randyrants.com/2006/07/sharpkeys_211.html

This tool is different from typical remappers as it works on the system level - you apply the changes once and then forget ab
... See more
I do not have problems with CapsLock, as I have long time ago remapped it to "down arrow" (which is useful for some CAT operations).

The tool I used is called SharpKeys:

http://www.randyrants.com/2006/07/sharpkeys_211.html

This tool is different from typical remappers as it works on the system level - you apply the changes once and then forget about it (no running programs etc.). However, it is not that flexible, as you cannot use key combinations etc. For that I use AutoHotkey...
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Tip of the day: Remove the Caps Lock key

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »