Thread poster: Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 23:26
Spanish
+ ...
Feb 14, 2008

This is a very interesting feature about a man stripped of his cell phone, Blackberry and computers, and how he managed to survive without them. As translators we heavily rely on our gadgets, whether it's the latest Blackberry out there or a good old desktop computer that's about to die. I honestly don't think I could last much longer than he did, I'd have to get a typewriter.

Here's
... See more
This is a very interesting feature about a man stripped of his cell phone, Blackberry and computers, and how he managed to survive without them. As translators we heavily rely on our gadgets, whether it's the latest Blackberry out there or a good old desktop computer that's about to die. I honestly don't think I could last much longer than he did, I'd have to get a typewriter.

Here's the link: Grown Man Cries Over Not Having His Blackberry
Collapse

Textklick
Textklick  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:26
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
You are probably right, Claudia Feb 14, 2008

I decided many years ago to keep the old IBM electric typewriter (with a nice selection of fonts) just for fun, but maybe as an investment.

I am open to offers, but they had better be good.

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:26
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
I loved the "phantom rings"... Feb 14, 2008

I neither have a cell phone nor a Blackberry. Works just fine and I got used to people staring at me in disbelief. "They are not that expensive", they say, automatically assuming that this must be the one and only reason. (Hehehehe..)

Suzanne Blangsted (X)
Suzanne Blangsted (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:26
Danish to English
+ ...
doing fine Feb 15, 2008

I don't have a blackberry. I have a friend's secondary cell phone, because he wants me to check in with him every evening to let him know that I am still alive, (it is a long distance call, and he pays the phone bill), and that is the only time I use a cell phone.

My 1975 IBM is in my office though not in use.

I love my privacy - like Nicole.

Deborah do Carmo
Deborah do Carmo  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 05:26
Dutch to English
+ ...
Probably about half a day Feb 15, 2008

Is bad enough for the two and a half hours I'm in the air, making my regular trips for work/studies to the UK.

Mobile/PDA is whipped out as soon as I'm past passport control.

Can't stand emails and calls mounting up, but that's just me. I like to deal with things immediately. Was the only way to function in legal practice and it's spilled over into my translation work.

I enjoy my privacy too, and when I decide to take a break then yes, it all gets switched
... See more
Is bad enough for the two and a half hours I'm in the air, making my regular trips for work/studies to the UK.

Mobile/PDA is whipped out as soon as I'm past passport control.

Can't stand emails and calls mounting up, but that's just me. I like to deal with things immediately. Was the only way to function in legal practice and it's spilled over into my translation work.

I enjoy my privacy too, and when I decide to take a break then yes, it all gets switched off (with due notice to clients and an absent notification on my server).

However, being connected is essential for the type of work I do - nearly all legal and all urgent. It's a case of if you snooze, you lose ... no lawyer is going to accept I can't be reached by mobile/PDA in this day in age.

[Edited at 2008-02-15 08:50]
Collapse

Isabel Booth
Isabel Booth  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:26
Italian to English
Scary! Feb 15, 2008

I have a mobile phone but it is always "out of order" - battery dead or no credit - probably because I hate the idea of being "on call"

Email and Internet access, though, is another kettle of fish!
How did I ever manage without them?? and not just for work, but for video-chatting with my parents (what a bonus for anyone living away), recipes, knitting patterns, jogging schedules, cinema info ... the list is endless!!!

In fact, I keep asking Santa for a Blackbe
... See more
I have a mobile phone but it is always "out of order" - battery dead or no credit - probably because I hate the idea of being "on call"

Email and Internet access, though, is another kettle of fish!
How did I ever manage without them?? and not just for work, but for video-chatting with my parents (what a bonus for anyone living away), recipes, knitting patterns, jogging schedules, cinema info ... the list is endless!!!

In fact, I keep asking Santa for a Blackberry, but all I get are socks and perfume
Collapse

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
Poor chap Feb 15, 2008

Amazing how addicted to technology one can get at work.
Of course I couldn't work without email OR the internet, but I allow myself at least 4 weeks a year without any connection whatsoever on holiday.
Just to make sure I will never have to go to a detox centre.

Working without the internet nowadays compares to surviving in a rainforest with a knife and 2 flints...

Enjoy your (disconnected) weekend,
Philippe

Cetacea
Cetacea  Identity Verified
Switzerland
English to German
+ ...
Same here Feb 15, 2008

Nicole Schnell wrote:

I neither have a cell phone nor a Blackberry. Works just fine and I got used to people staring at me in disbelief. "They are not that expensive", they say, automatically assuming that this must be the one and only reason. (Hehehehe..)

When they stare at me in disbelief, what usually follows is: "But then you're not accessible all the time!" Well, that's the whole point -- I don't want to be!

Of course, I need a computer and internet access for my work, but that's just it. I don't work all the time...

Latin_Hellas (X)
Latin_Hellas (X)
United States
Italian to English
+ ...
Web/Email over Cell/Blackberry Feb 15, 2008

Like several others who have responded, I too use almost exclusively web and email for business communications, I do not have Blackberry, and I must be one of the few in the US who uses a pre-paid cellphone service (as opposed to a subscription) and has activated the SMS feature (though quite normal in Europe). I even rarely use the land-line telephone. Maybe it's just me, but I find email much more reliable and efficient than a telephone conversation, not to mention that in the US there is as... See more
Like several others who have responded, I too use almost exclusively web and email for business communications, I do not have Blackberry, and I must be one of the few in the US who uses a pre-paid cellphone service (as opposed to a subscription) and has activated the SMS feature (though quite normal in Europe). I even rarely use the land-line telephone. Maybe it's just me, but I find email much more reliable and efficient than a telephone conversation, not to mention that in the US there is as much telephone spam as there is email spam.

Anyway, the important thing is to have at least two computers and at least two independent internet connections and several email accounts.

[Edited at 2008-02-15 11:46]

[Edited at 2008-02-15 11:47]
Collapse

Harry Bornemann
Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 22:26
English to German
+ ...
More than 2 months Feb 15, 2008

A year ago my ISP and phone provider messed up my internet connection and landline, so I had to work via internetcafes for 2 months. It was quite healthy because I had to run a lot.

Now I have internet via air and still no landline, but I am happy with that - the phone never brought me good news, only sales reps, hyper urgent projects and the like.

Currently I also have a cell phone which I received as a Christmas gift, although I do not need it at all.

An
... See more
A year ago my ISP and phone provider messed up my internet connection and landline, so I had to work via internetcafes for 2 months. It was quite healthy because I had to run a lot.

Now I have internet via air and still no landline, but I am happy with that - the phone never brought me good news, only sales reps, hyper urgent projects and the like.

Currently I also have a cell phone which I received as a Christmas gift, although I do not need it at all.

And why use a Blackberry? I am online the whole day and I could not even open the usual attachments on it.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How long would you last?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »