Mystery kanji, perhaps a simplified form?
Thread poster: Matthias Hirsh
Matthias Hirsh
Matthias Hirsh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:28
Japanese to English
Feb 20, 2019

I am working on translating some handwritten letters. They are all written by people born between approximately 1890 and the early 1930s. There is a kanji that has appeared multiple times and I cannot figure out the proper writing of it in order to look it up. I've tried to upload some pictures, but they keep ending up huge. I can email them to someone if they think they can help. It appears to be the tree radical on the left side and the right half of 你 on the right.

At first I w
... See more
I am working on translating some handwritten letters. They are all written by people born between approximately 1890 and the early 1930s. There is a kanji that has appeared multiple times and I cannot figure out the proper writing of it in order to look it up. I've tried to upload some pictures, but they keep ending up huge. I can email them to someone if they think they can help. It appears to be the tree radical on the left side and the right half of 你 on the right.

At first I wondered if it was a simplified variation of 様 not widely used today because it first appeared after a recipient's personal name at the end of some of the letters. But then I noticed it (or one that looks very similar) in other letters in the middle of sentences where 様 wouldn't be.
Collapse

Alex Farrell (X)
Alex Farrell (X)  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 00:28
Japanese to English
称? Feb 21, 2019

Are you sure it's not 称, as in 称する, 称揚 or 称える?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Takeshi MIYAHARA[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Mystery kanji, perhaps a simplified form?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »