Thread poster: Mahdi Ghazanfar
Mahdi Ghazanfar
Mahdi Ghazanfar
Local time: 15:23
English to Persian (Farsi)
+ ...
Oct 22, 2018

Hello
In a few weeks I am going to pass a test to become a judiciary certified translator.
Please help me with: 1. How I can improve my legal knowledge
2. Legal text writing
3. Legal vocabulary
Please share your experience with me.
Thank you in advance

Hannah Mosford

William Tierney
William Tierney  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:53
Member (2002)
Arabic to English
Legal Terminology Oct 22, 2018

Hi Mahdi,

Here are some ideas:
1. Paralegal classes: You get the same vocab at less cost than actual law school.
2. Used textbooks
3. Translegal Academy: This site has online courses for lawyers from non-English speaking jurisdictions. It is vocab intensive.

There is only so much you are going to do in a few weeks, but it is a start.

Mahdi Ghazanfar

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 05:53
Dutch to English
+ ...
Webinars Oct 22, 2018

Proz offers a number of webinars on legal translation, check it out.

Mahdi Ghazanfar
Angie Garbarino

Deborah do Carmo
Deborah do Carmo  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 11:53
Dutch to English
+ ...
Online Legal English Language Training Oct 23, 2018

Assuming you need assistance in English, Legal English Language Training offers online lessons (packages of 10 or 20 lessons), including all course materials. Can be structured according to your needs. I contacted them yesterday to ask about lessons for my employee. Reasonable rates for the UK considering you have a designated tutor but Translegal's "Introduction to Legal English" is a bit cheaper.

[Edited at 2018-10-23 04:43 GMT]

Mahdi Ghazanfar

Mahdi Ghazanfar
Mahdi Ghazanfar
Local time: 15:23
English to Persian (Farsi)
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Oct 23, 2018

Thank you all. That was helpful.

paula arturo
paula arturo  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:53
Spanish to English
+ ...
ATA Webinars Nov 4, 2018

Hi Mahdi,

In addition to all the great suggestions from other colleagues in this forum, I'd also suggest you check out the American Translators Association's webinars. There are some fantastic webinars already and I know for a fact that the Law Division will be launching some other great courses in 2019.

The Division recently launched a blog, which doesn't have much content just yet, but I know the editor and I know what content they're going to be publishing over the
... See more
Hi Mahdi,

In addition to all the great suggestions from other colleagues in this forum, I'd also suggest you check out the American Translators Association's webinars. There are some fantastic webinars already and I know for a fact that the Law Division will be launching some other great courses in 2019.

The Division recently launched a blog, which doesn't have much content just yet, but I know the editor and I know what content they're going to be publishing over the next few weeks and it's going to be well worth the read. So you might want to keep your eyes peeled for that: http://www.ata-divisions.org/LawD/

I'm a member of the Law Division's Leadership Council, so I'll be posting updates on my blog too in case you're interested: http://translatinglawyers.com/

Lastly, e-CPD webinars also offers some great courses from time to time. So you might want to check out what they're up to as well: https://www.ecpdwebinars.co.uk/ One of their trainers, Sue Leschen, is a lawyer/interpreter and her courses are fantastic.

Hope that helps!
Collapse

Gilles Wandel
Gilles Wandel
Belgium
Local time: 12:53
English to French
+ ...
MOOC's Nov 5, 2018

Hello Mahdi,

You could also participate in some MOOC's (Massive Open Online Courses), either on specific subjects (environmental law, human rights, etc.) or on broad legal topics. You can even get a (paying) certificate for achieving a course, but that is not mandatory. I personally use Coursera.

The other suggestions seem great, and will help me too!

Annie Sapucaia

Adam Warren
Adam Warren  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 12:53
Member (2005)
French to English
"Learning the Law" Aug 15, 2019

This is the title of a much-reedited introduction to English law. It is referred-to with the name of its original author, Professor Glanville Williams. It provides good basic grounding in the law, and guidance to further reading. HTH

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How I can improve my legal knowledge?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »